What Type Of Caulk Is Safe For Coils?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None Badger. I used to use silicone sealant to cover the gap where the cover fits the coil. I don't anymore as it only takes a small crack in the cauke and black sand gets inside.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you thought about Loctite Epoxy and leave the cover off?

edgemano

Apr 11, 2006
ontario NY
I USE EPOXY ON THE BOTTOM OF ALL MY COILS, THE CAULK WILL WORK FOR A SHORT TIME AND THEN IT WILL START TO LEAK AND THEN IT TAKES HOURS TO GET ALL THAT CAULK OFF,

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to all.

What is this epoxy you're using? Any brand or type?

How do you guys apply it?

Is it on the coil permanently?

Thanks,

Badger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loctite Epoxy is the product name , I have 2 new bottles of the Loctite Epoxy Marine to put on my Sov coils (WOT & 10 inch)

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Loctite Epoxy is the product name , I have 2 new bottles of the Loctite Epoxy Marine to put on my Sov coils (WOT & 10 inch)

There isn't any metal in this paint, is there?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

edgemano

Apr 11, 2006
ontario NY
USE SLOW SETTING EPOXY AND I USED PAINTERS TAPE AROUND THE COIL TO STOP THE EPOXY FROM RUNNING ALL OVER, TAPE INSIDE AND OUT TO MAKE A FORM I USD 2 oz ON MY PLATYPUS COIL THAT IS 8" 11", MIX THE EPOXY GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! POUR IT ON THE COIL SMOTH IT OUT LET IT SET PEAL THE TAPE OFF GO DETECTING.

GOOD LUCK FIND LOTS OF GOODYS.

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger....I have had the same problems with leakage in the past trying to use caulking to seal my coil cover.
I took my coils to a Rhino bed liner dealer/installer and he sprayed the bottom of my coils with Rhino coating. I first tested the material to ensure it was non conductive .....Friends have gone to the auto supply store and bought spray cans of bed liner for about $9.00 a can and used on their coils..check for conductivity before using.....this is the best solution that I have found for water,sand and salt build up between the coil and the coil cover....coating comes in a variety of colors,so you can be the first one on your block to have a multi-colored coil... Rdi

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Treasure_Hunter, edgemano, rdi, and everybody for the help.

Minelab (and the others) really need to address this problem.

I hunt plowed fields and they are very dusty. Those coil covers cause too much trouble at these sites.

I used to hate Tesoros for their coil covers. I wonder how many coils get out of balance due to twisting during cover removal.

At some sites I can get by without a cover or painted coil. But, at those rocky sites an unprotected coil wouldn't last long.

Badger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like RTI's solution even better. I'm going to find a local Rhino dealer and see what they charge to do all my coils. I will check conductivity before using and use masking tape, take them all at once and have them done at same time.

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
I've used a quality 100% silicone by Dow and have never had a problem. I use the clear. I've never had an issue with it cracking yet. The 100% silicone is pliable and will not crack. Someone said theirs had cracked? All I can say is they are buying some cheapo grade then.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
detectoraddict said:
I've used a quality 100% silicone by Dow and have never had a problem. I use the clear. I've never had an issue with it cracking yet. The 100% silicone is pliable and will not crack. Someone said theirs had cracked? All I can say is they are buying some cheapo grade then.

How did you apply the silicone?

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Has anyone tried 5200 marine grade sealer. That stuff is tough. I once used it to seal a boat outdrive and then went to remove it a year later.... it was so strong and well sealed I had to pry to outdrive off the boat. It even took the fiberglass with it in spots, but it will not crack and is tough and plyable

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Walmart sales Liquid Nails brand clear seal.

I have it on both my excalibur detectors, Put a heavy bead inside the coil cover

And press it on the coil,And use a thin piece of card board instead of your finger to coat the outside seam.

Once you press the cover on the sealant will keep sand and dirt out,and this brand sealant does not crack

Ive had it on both beach detectors a year now, and have not had any problems ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions