Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of you used to major on Tesoro but now you've seen the light. ;D

You now use Minelab....well, lets just say you're trying to learn Minelab.

Wouldn't you say it's a lot harder learning Minelab if one started out or previously used Tesoro?

Boy I sure would say that! Tesoro is so..so...simple. It's clear and targets are so easy to ID. Pinpointing is an absolute snap with Tesoro.

How do you feel?

Do tell all.....

Badger

M

Mike(Mont)

My suggestion is to start with a smaller coil. You didn't say what model you have, but an excellent book for the Sovereign is Finding gold...with the Sov by Clive James Clynick.

I have an old Whites and it just sounds so flat, so one-dimensional. There is so much info in the Sovereign/Minelab (multi-frequency) signal, I could never go back. I think most people who are unexperienced try to use too much sensitiivity (it picks up the ground). The detector is constantly taking readings and even alloyed metals you can hear several different tones each sweep. Mostly gold has a clean, clear sound, no up and down tones and the signal size is small. Iron gives a wide signal with up and down tone at the start and end of the sweep.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a Minelab, but I do have a Tejon, and have had a few Garretts going back almost 20 years. I think what Tesoro and Garrett have in common is that they are simple to use, do a great job and most importantly, they are fun.

Anyone remember fun??

I'm not sure this is still a factor when I see all the hoops people have to jump thru to "get the most" out of their machines. I just want to get out with the kids, find a few old coins, a ring or two for my daughter, and have a good time.

This, in my opinion, is what Tesoro (and Garrett) provide. Fun.

Dan

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Hey there MB

I still get out the Deleon when I want a fast and easy quick hunt! But I can tell you now that I have an Explorer that is working like it is supposed to I love it just as much if not more.

The main problem I had with the Explorer is that I was trying TOO hard. Once I just relaxed and got back to enjoying myself detecting my frustration with the Beast dropped immediately and I found my first Indian Head Penny with it the other night! And a zipper pull and a silver quarter all in one night!

There is no argument about it, the Tesoros are light, easy to use and no nonsense detectors. Minelabe is a different animal all together. Trying to throw out all you know about one machine and trying to learn how to use a new one is hard but in my opinion with Minelab it is a mindgame. The emulator helped me learn what to listen to as well. I found that you cannot trust the LCD reading on the Beast but you can usually trust the sounds it makes.

Hope that helps.

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Michigan Badger said:
Wouldn't you say it's a lot harder learning Minelab if one started out or previously used Tesoro?
Boy I sure would say that! Tesoro is so..so...simple. It's clear and targets are so easy to ID. Pinpointing is an absolute snap with Tesoro.
How do you feel?

Badger;
i just sold the Vaquero....going to a Sovereign GT. If you don't want yours.....I'll take it ;)

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
tab jingle elf said:
Michigan Badger said:
How do you feel?

Badger;
i just sold the Vaquero....going to a Sovereign GT. If you don't want yours.....I'll take it ;)

Oh, I love the Sovereign but sold it for an Explorer II. I didn't like the Ex.II and missed the Sovereign so I tried to trade the Ex.II in for a new Sovereign GT but the dealer sold out before my Ex.II arrived at his store. So, I opted for the Minelab SE instead.

I figured if I don't like the SE I'd do my best selling it due to its popularity.

I live in northern Michigan so our detecting is over until spring. Then I find out what I think of the SE.

I started this thread just to see what others think.

Thanks,

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan B said:
I don't own a Minelab, but I do have a Tejon, and have had a few Garretts going back almost 20 years. I think what Tesoro and Garrett have in common is that they are simple to use, do a great job and most importantly, they are fun.

Anyone remember fun??

I'm not sure this is still a factor when I see all the hoops people have to jump thru to "get the most" out of their machines. I just want to get out with the kids, find a few old coins, a ring or two for my daughter, and have a good time.

This, in my opinion, is what Tesoro (and Garrett) provide. Fun.

Dan

You're so right Dan.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike(Mont) said:
My suggestion is to start with a smaller coil. You didn't say what model you have, but an excellent book for the Sovereign is Finding gold...with the Sov by Clive James Clynick.

I have an old Whites and it just sounds so flat, so one-dimensional. There is so much info in the Sovereign/Minelab (multi-frequency) signal, I could never go back. I think most people who are unexperienced try to use too much sensitiivity (it picks up the ground). The detector is constantly taking readings and even alloyed metals you can hear several different tones each sweep. Mostly gold has a clean, clear sound, no up and down tones and the signal size is small. Iron gives a wide signal with up and down tone at the start and end of the sweep.

Thanks Mike, good comment and info.

Badger

M

Mike(Mont)

Guess I should have looked at your avitar. Never used an Explorer, but the CJC book will still help to learn what to listen for with a multi-frequency machine. I mean that guy takes every Sov control and turns it backwards, sideways, and inside-out. Absolutely the best Sov book ever written.

The double-D coil takes some practice, but it can get in closer (better seperation of targets). As for sensitivity, the more you use, the longer the response time is, so you have to go slower. Clive said he used about the three o'clock position for learning.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike(Mont) said:
Guess I should have looked at your avitar. Never used an Explorer, but the CJC book will still help to learn what to listen for with a multi-frequency machine. I mean that guy takes every Sov control and turns it backwards, sideways, and inside-out. Absolutely the best Sov book ever written.

The double-D coil takes some practice, but it can get in closer (better seperation of targets). As for sensitivity, the more you use, the longer the response time is, so you have to go slower. Clive said he used about the three o'clock position for learning.

Yes, I now own the SE. I quickly learned the DD coil. Personally I found it easier to pinpoint with the DD than with the concentric coil. But, from what I read, I guess most don't.

I hunted a school yard with the Ex.II and I could have dug most targets with a screwdriver. The pinpointing was that good. To me it always seems odd when someone writes that pinpointing with the Explorers is difficult. But again, many say this. They just don't understand how DD coils work.

The thing I didn't like about the Explorer II was its depth. My machine was very shallow. I couldn't even get a signal of any kind on a quarter buried 5 inches deep. I even tried turning the sensitivity and gain up high...no go. I bought that machine used and it must of had issues before I got it.

But, as far as understanding the Explorer, I found it simple after reading the manual. But at sites where I usually dig coins 5-8 inches deep I couldn't get a single signal. All I dug was surface clad and shallow trash.

Badger

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
To me the ..Minelab Sovereign.. is a easy detector to use it is a turn on and go machine it is not complicated at all. It is that Explorer that takes the fun out of detecting..........==Jim==

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
roachnjim said:
To me the ..Minelab Sovereign.. is a easy detector to use it is a turn on and go machine it is not complicated at all. It is that Explorer that takes the fun out of detecting..........==Jim==

That Sovereign is one sweet machine. There's no doubt about that in my mind. In fact, according to my buddy who owns one of the major dealerships for several metal detector brands in this country, the Sovereign GT is selling like crazy now. He said it's funny because for a long time business was very limited for that model.

Badger

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use both brands. I had no problems learning the Minelab Sovereign but it is clearly different mainly in the fact that if you use it to its full potential, you can't just turn it on and go. The varied tones are another learning curve but I have picked up on them really quick. You are right about the Tesoro being a much easier detector to turn on and go. You are also right about pinpointing and target ID being easier for the Tesoro. I probably use my Tesoros now as much as I use the new Sovereign. I don't believe you can beat my Tesoros in a trashy area with the 4 inch coil. Nearly non motion discrimination and I can pick targets out of high iron areas with regularity.

I bought my Sovereign specifically for the beach. I will be trying out the WOT coil on the beach tomorrow for the first time. I expect some really good results. I don't believe that you can find a better machine for the beach simply by the fact that the availability of oversized coils, depth and discrimination of iron and finally the stability in mineralized sand and salt is a combination that can't be matched in my opinion.

I would say in conclusion that the two brands are equally great for varied uses. I will most likely buy me an updated version of the Tesoro soon to compliment my Sovereign. The Sovereign can't be beat for depth and the Tesoro seems to me to be the best for really concentrating on high trash areas. The high end Tesoros are deep also.

I am a mixed brand user. Garrett, Tesoro and Minelab. I enjoy them all for the purposes I use them for.

As I have said before, I have never met a metal detector that I didn't like. It is just that some I like better than others.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
DaChief said:
I still use both brands. I had no problems learning the Minelab Sovereign but it is clearly different mainly in the fact that if you use it to its full potential, you can't just turn it on and go. The varied tones are another learning curve but I have picked up on them really quick. You are right about the Tesoro being a much easier detector to turn on and go. You are also right about pinpointing and target ID being easier for the Tesoro. I probably use my Tesoros now as much as I use the new Sovereign. I don't believe you can beat my Tesoros in a trashy area with the 4 inch coil. Nearly non motion discrimination and I can pick targets out of high iron areas with regularity.

I bought my Sovereign specifically for the beach. I will be trying out the WOT coil on the beach tomorrow for the first time. I expect some really good results. I don't believe that you can find a better machine for the beach simply by the fact that the availability of oversized coils, depth and discrimination of iron and finally the stability in mineralized sand and salt is a combination that can't be matched in my opinion.

I would say in conclusion that the two brands are equally great for varied uses. I will most likely buy me an updated version of the Tesoro soon to compliment my Sovereign soon. The Sovereign can't be beat for depth and the Tesoro seems to me to be the best for really concentrating on high trash areas. The high end Tesoros are deep also.

I am a mixed brand user. Garrett, Tesoro and Minelab. I enjoy them all for the purposes I use them for.

As I have said before, I have never met a metal detector that I didn't like. It is just that some I like better than others.

Well put. I agree.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have a Sov GT with the WOT, and pinpointing with it for me is easy. I use it mainly on the beaches, but I have hunted city and county parks with it many times and never had a problem pinpointing. It does go deep, some times little too deep...LOL

In some city parks it is going too deep, your not suppose to dig in city parks here, many times my target is too deep to dig with out making a wide hole. I use the ez-dig-r II in the parks and 8-10 inches is about the deepest I can dig with it with out expanding the hole wider.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
mastereagle22 said:
Forgot to ask did you get the Emulator? I think that helped me out soooooooooooooo much!

I haven't used the Emulator yet but will soon. This time of year is very busy for me. Hopely about the 1st of the year I'll really start studying it.

Badger

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
At the begining, I used the GT to find the target, then I left a marker over it.
After finding about 20-30 targets, I dropped the Minelab and used my Tesoro
to pinpoint and dig out the target.
Now I use the Golden Sabre as a back up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions