Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Take it to a battery store like batteries plus or one of them, they can rebuild it for you probably cheaper than a new pack from the manu and with just as much run time if not more.

NiCd works but has memory problems.

NiMh works took bit more power density but don't hold a charge at idle like a nicd.. in other words if you dont use them, they will pretty much self discharge in 3 to 4 months and need a recarge. can use the same charger as a NiCd just takes longer because the battery has a bigger capacity.

Lithium expensive and what the lithium battery manufacturers DONT tell you is that no matter what, if it sits on a shelf or is used every day, a lithium battery (rechargeable type) typically has a life of about two years max, then it needs replacing. also to legally assemble lith batteries the place needs a federal permit, they are very dangerous to work if you are not careful.

The rest of the batteries are pretty much one use types and take them as is, run em down and throw away.

aaron

TD

Greenie
Nov 13, 2007
Southeast Florida/Southeast New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Bill, I was told that you can use the NIMH battery pack on the Excalibur 1000 and the Excal II, they are interchangeable. I can also tell you the the wall charger supplied with the Excalibur II is the same exact charger that came with the 1000, I have one sitting here in front of me. It's marked "Minelab Ni Cad Charger Model 119". The output is 60ma which is the proper one for the 1000 and the II. You can also as others have suggested have a third party replace the batteries in your present tube. My choice would be to buy the new NiMH battery pack that's being used in the Excal II. Give Minelab a call in Los Wages and talk to that gal in the customer support department, she's pretty helpful. ...Tony

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
good info..thanks. I don't dive, just wade on the beach and rinse the machine off, so absolute water integrity isn't essential. Looks like rebuilding the power pack is the most cost effective way to go in this case.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
I bought the only battery pack on line for mine 1500 ma just drops in the tube takes a couple of minutes. Its alot higher rated
and the price is right. Whats in there now is on a 9 volt clip the new one is the same I think 45.00 is worth it. Dan

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I now see the end is simply o-ringed and held in place with set screws. Access to the battery is very simple. I've ordered a 1500 mAh battery online for less than 1/2 the cost of a NiCad from Minelab. Over twice the battery life, too. BTW, I'm extremely pleased with the function of my Excalibur for beach hunting.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
The only thing to remember is it will lose the charge standing and should be topped up weekly. The minelab charger is rated at 60 ma so it would take 24 hours for a full charge I don;t mind that when I'm done for the day just plug it in. Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions