Explorer SE Slimlilne coil, any comments on this coil?

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I keep reading that this coil falses alot and is overall unstable. Anyone actually put some time in on it and had no problems with it? It is a lighter coil and thinner, like the Tornado coils for the Sov, hard to imagine MInelab didnt put the time into testing this coil on the Explorer..........but boy after doing research (Im thinking of buying an SE) it sure seems alot of people are disatisfied with this coil.

Any comments either pro or con would be appreciated and if you could please mention how much youve used it and where, such as a beach, woods/park and so on. They are alot of money now ;D

Thanks,
Neil

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
hollowpointred said:
no problem with mine.
Thats good to hear. Is that the coil you keep on the most and if you dont mind what type of hunting do you do mostly?
Thanks much,
Neil

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I have done extensive testing on both the slimline coil and the Explorer II/Quattro "1050" coil. In certain ground/mineralization types, the SE coil gets real noisy and causes falsing. There have been parks that my buddy had a very hard time trying to hear a deep silver coin that I identified with my Exp. II coil. When I listened to how it sounded from his SE coil, I barely could make out the signal, and probably would have missed it. I've been to other parks where the SE coils operates fine with very little noise, but hands down the Exp. II coil operates great no matter what conditions you run into.

Someone from Minelab told a friend of mine that the stock Exp. II/Quattro coils were double wrapped internally, while the SE coils were only single wrapped. That might be the difference.

I understand your concern. So many SE users in my area (CA) are trying to get their hands on an Exp II/Quattro or even an older XS coil. I think a lot of them though are doing this because of word of mouth. I, along with about 5 of my Explorer buddies have done the testing, and won't be putting those SE coils on our machines ever again.

Worst of all, I heard that Minelab is not going to produce extra Exp. II coils anymore. :'( Right now, I've been hearing of dealers who have been getting lots of requests for these coils, and are swapping out the coils of their older Explorers or Quattros to fill orders.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
NeilinFR said:
hollowpointred said:
no problem with mine.
Thats good to hear. Is that the coil you keep on the most and if you dont mind what type of hunting do you do mostly?
Thanks much,
Neil

that is the coil i use the most. i mainly hunt for old coins and some jewelry. very little relic hunting, but some.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I really don't know but I do know many prefer the older coil over the new slim coil. This is one reason some swear by the older Explorers.

Badge

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Captn_SE said:
I have done extensive testing on both the slimline coil and the Explorer II/Quattro "1050" coil. In certain ground/mineralization types, the SE coil gets real noisy and causes falsing. There have been parks that my buddy had a very hard time trying to hear a deep silver coin that I identified with my Exp. II coil. When I listened to how it sounded from his SE coil, I barely could make out the signal, and probably would have missed it. I've been to other parks where the SE coils operates fine with very little noise, but hands down the Exp. II coil operates great no matter what conditions you run into.

Someone from Minelab told a friend of mine that the stock Exp. II/Quattro coils were double wrapped internally, while the SE coils were only single wrapped. That might be the difference.

I understand your concern. So many SE users in my area (CA) are trying to get their hands on an Exp II/Quattro or even an older XS coil. I think a lot of them though are doing this because of word of mouth. I, along with about 5 of my Explorer buddies have done the testing, and won't be putting those SE coils on our machines ever again.

Worst of all, I heard that Minelab is not going to produce extra Exp. II coils anymore. :'( Right now, I've been hearing of dealers who have been getting lots of requests for these coils, and are swapping out the coils of their older Explorers or Quattros to fill orders.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks for your input Dan. That sounds like the best idea right now, getting the coil swapped out from the get go or just buying used. I dont know about the double wrapping thing, then again I dont know electronics at all.....LOL......
HH
Neil

OP
OP
NeilinFR

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
NeilinFR said:
Captn_SE said:

I just purchased a used Explorer II so I guess the slimline coil question doesnt matter now ;D

Thanks much,
Neil

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks for your input Dan. That sounds like the best idea right now, getting the coil swapped out from the get go or just buying used. I dont know about the double wrapping thing, then again I dont know electronics at all.....LOL......
HH
Neil

Don In South Jersey

Sep 3, 2005
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Pro-Find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Hey Captain, when you did your testing, did you adjust your gain & sensitivity? Here is a qoute from another member on a different forum.

"Curious where you set the Sensitivity and Gain on the SE? The reason I ask is because the factory preset Gain increased from 5 on the ExII to an 8 on the SE. And, the Sensitivity preset went from 16 on the ExII to a 22 on the SE. Since they also dropped the preset Threshold volume from 20 to 16, running the new higher Gain and Sensitivity (and lower Threshold volume) might cause that "barely audible" noise that you are getting in "certain ground/mineralization types".

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Don,

Gain and sensitivity settings would only make a difference if I were testing the differences between the SE and Explorer II machines. I was only testing the abilities of the Exp. II coil, as opposed to the SE slim-line coil on an SE. Yes, the default factory settings are a little hotter on the SE than the Exp. II's settings.

Just a few days ago, I met a new SE detectorist at a local park. He saw me swinging my SE, and I helped him out with his machine setup. I set his machine exactly like mine. He asked me if I could recommend any coils with his machine, and I told him to get a 1050 Exp. II coil. He didn't believe me at first. He heard from a dealer about the shortcomings of the slim-line coil, and was told that Minelab had resolved this issue by producing a newer slim-line coil (Not sure how to tell the differences between the old one and a newer one). Well, as we were detecting the turf, I told him to come over and listen to a real deepie I had located. He swung his slim-line coil over the target, and it was so noisy. You could barely catch the good high fluty tones amongst the falsing sounds. I swung my 1050 coil over the same target, and all you could hear was a beautiful high fluty tone. I told him about one of the detecting forums I was on, and he texted me the other day to tell me he was able to swap out his slim-line coil for a 1050 coil from the person he bought his SE from.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Don In South Jersey

Sep 3, 2005
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Pro-Find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got off the phone with a Minelab representative. She said that they were aware of the falsing issue & addressed & fixed the problem in February of 2007. So if you purchased a SE detector after that February date of manufacture, you have the updated coil, if you purchased before, I would call Minelab & look to get a replacement coil...

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones
South Jersey Don said:
I just got off the phone with a Minelab representative. She said that they were aware of the falsing issue & addressed & fixed the problem in February of 2007. So if you purchased a SE detector after that February date of manufacture, you have the updated coil, if you purchased before, I would call Minelab & look to get a replacement coil...

The SE I'm swinging is younger than the Feb07 change your talking about here, I have hunted along side Capt and the crew with me being the only one with the slimline coil we have all listened to multiple targets and without any doubt the slimline is a very unstable coil in alot of the soil in our area making the deeper targets tough to hear if at all, but since switching to the 1050 I have found that my machine is falsing alot less and the deep targets are much crisper.

wirebender

Sep 11, 2007
California
ok, what is the best way to check if you have the old coil or new coil? is there a date or serial number I can check? or is it futile, should I just put on my 8 inch coil from minelab??

WireBender(marcus)

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Very interesting topic!

I have one of the older Slimlines, serial 21803. I was told by the owner he purchased the package last year. I personally thought the coil was fine but I think it may be a matter of not knowing there was/is a problem. I've never had the benefit of testing the coil side by side with another Se equipped with the Explorer 2--10.5.

I recently acquired another SE which the seller claimed was purchased in Feb. 2008. I believe him. The Slimline 10.5 coil that came with the package is brand new; Serial Number 07979. It does appear, at least to me Minelab began over on their serial number assignments? I'm going to send my original SlimLine back to Minelab in hopes they will replace it. :)

Thank you Neil for starting up this thread and thank you Captain SE for disclosing the results of your tests.

Careful on the iron!
GRB

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I have the Explorer 2 and had the previous model both fitted with the standard coil 10.50 coil. these coils performed ok but I changed over to the Coiltek Platypus coil. This was a vast improvement, crisper clearer signals, better pinpointing, balance, and picked up deep targets better. If you have a problem with the slimline coils on the SE and are thinking about getting a coil from the previous model DONT! Get a Platypus its definately a better way to go.. seeya Neilo ;D

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
*Ground Hawk*--*Minelab Quattro*--*Tesoro Tejon*
I just received My Quattro back from Minelab "sent in for repair"I called & spoke to a certain someone at Minelab & asked if I could get a new slimline coil, Minelab replaced the system board & a brand new Slimline coil was included!! Serial Nu. 04488
All I have to say is I have had excellent service from them...the only thing Minelab forgot to send was My arm Cuff. A new one is in the mail!! :icon_sunny:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a new SE from Kellyco the first week of April.

The coil number is "22593".

Where does this number fit for having a "good" coil?

Thanks, Bill

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billjustbill said:
I just bought a new SE from Kellyco the first week of April.

The coil number is "22593".

Where does this number fit for having a "good" coil?

Thanks, Bill

Since Minelab just came out with the new SE pro coil doesn't it make you question if the slimline coil was really upgraded through its production? Does anyone know of any statements from Minleab on the record this is the case, or is it purely user speculation possibly driven by rumours? What makes sense to me is all slimline coils weren't up to par and now there is the SE pro as an upgrade/2nd choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions