MINELAB SE USERS - Need questions answered before purchase.

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Please Help Guys and Gals ???

I am about to purchase the Explorer SE, but would really like some questions answered about this powerful detector. My "hunting" environment mainly consist of schools, parks, ball fields and beaches. I am in Houston, Tx and hit Galveston and Florida beaches when I get the chance. I apologize if this gets a little long.

Questions:

1. With all the multi frequencies the Explorer uses; is it difficult to know what the detector is trying to tell you. I hunt by "tone" with my current detector. When I get a mixed tone for example first its a high tone (silver or coin) then low tone (gold, or aluminum junk) 98% of the time it is junk. Will the Explorer SE help with this?

2. Minelab brags about the fact that it can find coins next to nails, but what about pull tabs? I don't come across nails hardly ever where I hunt, but tons of can slaw and pull tabs. Any Explorer SE users hunt in pull tab mine fields? How does the machine handle for you in this environment? Can the SE be set to locate ONLY coins?

3. I have heard both good and bad on the pinpointing with the Explorer SE. I can usually hit my target nearly every time (it's always in the center of the disk). Will the SE work with the "X" method or is the target at the front of the disk? Does the pinpoint feature on the SE really work or not. I have read both great and terrible.

4. Coil covers. I have read on here how the smallest amount of dirt can cause false signals. Is it better to go without a cover? I can only image the nightmare of hunting on the fine sand beaches of Florida. The sand gets into everything.

5. Sunray attachment. This thing is $200 bucks but it sounds great since it has the same tones as the SE when used. Is it worth the money? Does anyone hunt without it and not miss it?

6. Surf hunting. Does the saltwater effect the SE? Is it a good beach machine. Currently I am using two detectors for the beach one in the upper beach the other in the surf. I would like to use the SE for both upper beach and surf.

Thanks for your input. I am really excited about owning an SE and looking forward to learning and using the machine. Happy Hunting Everyone.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure-Diver said:

I am about to purchase the Explorer SE, but would really like some questions answered about this powerful detector. My "hunting" environment mainly consist of schools, parks, ball fields and beaches. I am in Houston, Tx and hit Galveston and Florida beaches when I get the chance. I apologize if this gets a little long.

Questions:

1. With all the multi frequencies the Explorer uses; is it difficult to know what the detector is trying to tell you. I hunt by "tone" with my current detector. When I get a mixed tone for example first its a high tone (silver or coin) then low tone (gold, or aluminum junk) 98% of the time it is junk. Will the Explorer SE help with this?

Answer: SE sounds are similar to what you are describing, you can still pick out high tones next to iron signals very easily - the digital scale help sme tremendously

2. Minelab brags about the fact that it can find coins next to nails, but what about pull tabs? I don't come across nails hardly ever where I hunt, but tons of can slaw and pull tabs. Any Explorer SE users hunt in pull tab mine fields? How does the machine handle for you in this environment? Can the SE be set to locate ONLY coins?

Answer: it will pick out coins next to pull tabs, you can still hear/see the high Cond reading

3. I have heard both good and bad on the pinpointing with the Explorer SE. I can usually hit my target nearly every time (it's always in the center of the disk). Will the SE work with the "X" method or is the target at the front of the disk? Does the pinpoint feature on the SE really work or not. I have read both great and terrible.

Answer: the pinpointing works - but def takes getting used too - i find as soon as you hit the pinpoitning button it will sometimes lock on to targets and you need to clear this by putting the coil up in the turn pinpoitning off then on again and then rescanning the target starting fresh

4. Coil covers. I have read on here how the smallest amount of dirt can cause false signals. Is it better to go without a cover? I can only image the nightmare of hunting on the fine sand beaches of Florida. The sand gets into everything.

Answer: I detect in some sandy/gritty enviroments near the rivers here in PA that have been flooded over the years, i need to clean my coil about once a month - you can easily tell when it needs cleaning, you'll get a lot of chatter where normally it is a nice steady background tone

5. Sunray attachment. This thing is $200 bucks but it sounds great since it has the same tones as the SE when used. Is it worth the money? Does anyone hunt without it and not miss it?

Answer: if i could tell people to buy ONE attachment this woudl be it, i quite honestly won't ever detect without one again, it acts JUST LIKE A COIL in the hole, no falsing, detects 3" and definately saves time, can't say enough about it !!!!!

6. Surf hunting. Does the saltwater effect the SE? Is it a good beach machine. Currently I am using two detectors for the beach one in the upper beach the other in the surf. I would like to use the SE for both upper beach and surf.

Answer: sorry i've never saltwater searched

Thanks for your input. I am really excited about owning an SE and looking forward to learning and using the machine. Happy Hunting Everyone.

HOPE THIS HELPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vp

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
for the question left unanswered, the se will do very well in a salt water environment.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What HE said........

Question #2.
Answer: The Iron Mash feature that ignores iron does not just ignore nails but bobby pins, tacks, all small iron trash that is next to a coin will null on the iron but still respond to the coin or gold ring. If you disc. out Pull tabs it will null on the tab and 90% of the gold rings and respond to everything above your disc. setting, like coins.

Question #3
Answer: Having a DD coil the pinpointing is faster if you just wiggle the coil when you hear a target as you pull the coil back. Then you push the coil forward slowly and when you hear the sound the target if just in front of the coil. Not worth it to waste time X'ing the target in Pinpoint once you practice it a couple times.

Question #6
Answer: While the SE will work the dry sand and the wet saltwater sand, you need to be careful in any surf not to waste the detector by getting the box wet. Don't raise the coil higher than the box if you had it in the water as water can travel up the shaft and fry the box.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure-Diver said:

Questions:

Answer: There is a lot of adjustments you can make to the tone to suit your hearing. Ive found the tones very accurate once you start learning them especially in Ferr.

Answer: If you have tons of the same type of tabs you can use the LEARN to disc them out. It really works well once you learn how to correctly use it. The explorer has numbers for both the Ferr and Cond readings which makes the learn very accurate. The factory setting is a combination of most coins except the Ferr ones so you could you that with some adjustments. However, once you learn it i think you will find Iron Mask a better choice especially on the beach.

Answer: like Sandman said use the tip it makes it very fast and you dont dig DEEP holes.

Answer: If you have a problem... calk it. However, the coil cover is so easy to remove and clean. If you put about any detector in the water with a coil cover the salt will bleed in and make the machine false.

OP
OP
T

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
I knew I could count on you guys!! Thank You so much. ;D What a great group of people. Thanks again and I'm sure once I get the Explorer I will have more questions.

HH Everyone.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the coil covers, you can coat the coil with Marine Loctite epoxy and forgot the cover.

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Thanks for the tip about taping the drain holes folks.

I got my new Excal II but have yet to assemble it and give it a whirl. Plowed about a foot of snow today, 4th time this week.

Thinking about hitting the snow piles in the big parking lots with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread