Excalibur II with Gray Ghost Underwater Headphones
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Sep 2003
    All over!!!
    Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
    2 times

Excalibur II with Gray Ghost Underwater Headphones

Has anyone had upgraded their Excal or Excal II headphones to Gray Ghost or other brands? does it really improves the tones and is it really worth it?

Thanks

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3979 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Excalibur II with Gray Ghost Underwater Headphones

I would never do it because I don't think it is necessary to give up waterproof phones for Grey Ghosts. I use Grey Ghost phones on land detectors. If you never take the Excal in the water and are handy with a sodering iron to install the connectors, etc. you will get used to the tones which in my opinion would just sound richer.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Nov 2006

Goio, you are talking about Gray G. WATER phones, right
    Sandman, would you change out Minelab stock phones for the Gray Ghost water phones thanks.
    It's about a $265.00 + project. Worth it Sandman?

Nov 2006

Forgot to add, Excal. is still under warranty

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    31300 times

Unless the warranty is almost expired, I would be careful about voiding it, if you don't send it to Minelab it will most likely be voided from what I have learned. I talked to Minelab about adding the WOT to an Excal, was told unless they do it, it would void the warranty.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Sep 2003
    All over!!!
    Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
    2 times

Well, I was not planning on doing it myself. It will definitely be sent to minelab for it. I was just wondering if any of you guys have done it and how has it work for you. was it worth the investment? which brand headphones work the best? I read about in another forum and just looking for input. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,655037,655056

Chi Town Bruce, Thanks for clarifying what I was asking for.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    31300 times

Grey Ghost waterproof headphones are on sale for $135 at moment. Not sure where the $265+ would be?

http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/headphones.htm

I never noticed any problem with the stock headphones on the Excal. With the way the surf rolls in, not sure your going to hear the faint whispers that much.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3979 times

No I don't think it is worth it to change out the head phones from the stock phones. When wading with mine I put a piece of tape over the drain hole to block out the wind noise and remove it when I take the Excal diving.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

rdi

Sep 2007
    Zephyrhills, Florida
    Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
    1 times

Golo....I am waiting for Minelab to return my Excal which they modified to accept Gray Ghost underwater headphones with a Ikelite connector...from what I am told there isn't much difference between Minelab's yellow headphones and the Gray Ghost as there use to be with Minelab's older headphones...the mod costs about $100 for parts and labor,my main reason for doing this was the ability to detach the headphones from the detector....Sandman is right on when he said be sure to tape up the equalizing holes, a total of 4 holes to be taped on the stock headphones (do not dive with the holes taped up ).........Rdi
    Mder's helping Mder's

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links