Excalibur II with Gray Ghost Underwater Headphones

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never do it because I don't think it is necessary to give up waterproof phones for Grey Ghosts. I use Grey Ghost phones on land detectors. If you never take the Excal in the water and are handy with a sodering iron to install the connectors, etc. you will get used to the tones which in my opinion would just sound richer.

Chi Town Bruce

Nov 4, 2006
Goio, you are talking about Gray G. WATER phones, right???
Sandman, would you change out Minelab stock phones for the Gray Ghost water phones thanks.
It's about a $265.00 + project. Worth it Sandman?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the warranty is almost expired, I would be careful about voiding it, if you don't send it to Minelab it will most likely be voided from what I have learned. I talked to Minelab about adding the WOT to an Excal, was told unless they do it, it would void the warranty.

OP
OP
Goio

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Well, I was not planning on doing it myself. It will definitely be sent to minelab for it. I was just wondering if any of you guys have done it and how has it work for you. was it worth the investment? which brand headphones work the best? I read about in another forum and just looking for input. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,655037,655056

Chi Town Bruce, Thanks for clarifying what I was asking for.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grey Ghost waterproof headphones are on sale for $135 at moment. Not sure where the $265+ would be?

http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/headphones.htm

I never noticed any problem with the stock headphones on the Excal. With the way the surf rolls in, not sure your going to hear the faint whispers that much.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I don't think it is worth it to change out the head phones from the stock phones. When wading with mine I put a piece of tape over the drain hole to block out the wind noise and remove it when I take the Excal diving.

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golo....I am waiting for Minelab to return my Excal which they modified to accept Gray Ghost underwater headphones with a Ikelite connector...from what I am told there isn't much difference between Minelab's yellow headphones and the Gray Ghost as there use to be with Minelab's older headphones...the mod costs about $100 for parts and labor,my main reason for doing this was the ability to detach the headphones from the detector....Sandman is right on when he said be sure to tape up the equalizing holes, a total of 4 holes to be taped on the stock headphones (do not dive with the holes taped up ).........Rdi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread