question for excal 1000 / excal 2 users

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'll be buying one or the other by the end of march.i'm usaully called rich 2times cause i'm the guy who buys wrong the first time and then buys right the second so i'm researching.for those that are in the know,whats the difference?should i buy a new excal 2 or buy a used excal1000? i don't mind paying for new but if its not a big diff, i'll put the cash into a wetsuit. HELP! ???

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Honestly I have not gotten real familiar with the Minelabs yet but have heard the Excal II has better discrimination and is more stable in the salt and has better depth. It all depends on what you are going to be doing. Both are great machines. If you decide to go with the new machine, check out our website at www.gpsupply.us and use the promo code CL1 for a 10% discount. Either way, let me know what you decided and how it worked out for you! Good luck and happy hunting!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal II is advertised as having a faster response time. More stable in shallow salt water (which to me means less sensitivity or gain.) To me already having a Excal 1000 and a Sov GT, the extra expense isn't worth it.

But what do I know. I have 7 water detectors now and am always wanting to learn another well.

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Bomber,

Get the new Excalibur II and buy yourself a used wet suit. That way you won't be wondering what new features you missed if you go for a used one. If later you decide that the Excal 2 is not for you then you will have no trouble swapping it for a used Excal 1000. Get it, get out there and find the goodies!!!

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Buy new and you get a great working machine,

Buy used and you could be buying a defective detector

I own two excalibur's and they are great water beach machines, Another good reason to buy new is the warranty.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO it would depend on what you pay to get the used Excal for, if you can save $500 or more you can buy a lot of extras with it.

I was at Kellyco several weeks ago and asked what they knew so far about the difference between the two. The only true difference they could tell me they knew to date for sure was the battery lasted longer.

I have never had any trouble with my Excals in shallow salt water, but I also thought that was what the sensitivity adjustment setting is for, I adjust it as needed to get the best response I can, setting it anywhere between auto to about the 2 o'clock position as needed, only took a couple secs.

As far as used and the danger of it being defective, I strongly believe if you buy a used unit from a respected member you will be happy. I have bought 2 used Excals. 1 used Sov GT, 1 used Whites 6000 XL PRO, 1 Tesoro Conquistador, 1 Troy Shadow X2 and a Fisher 1235X and every one arrived working in perfect condition. The only unit I have had to send in for repair so far (knock on wood) was a NEW Beach Hunter ID that leaked, true it was under warranty and Whites repaired it, I only had to pay for the shipping in.

I personally have no plans to run out and buy a new Excal, not a big enough difference to justify it. I just sold one of my old Excals for $700 and I still have one. I sold the Excal to recover the cost of buying the waterproofed Sov GT from RJ, a very nice unit RJ ;)............... I am very happy with it ;D

I can't wait for the return of Spring Break and then summer which is right around the cornor for us down here......

Good luck and good hunting..............

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
TH,

How do you like your waterproofed Sov GT? Do you have any pictures of it? How old was the excal that you sold? you are right about saving some money on a used detector if it is $500 or more. If I have a choice of buying a used Excal 1000 for $700 or a Excal II for $995, I will take a Excal II with a 3 year warranty.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goio,

If you can get a dealer to sell a new Excal II for $995, with a 3 year warranty that may be the way to go for you. The going price I am seeing is still $1198 with the extended warranty and dealers can jeopardize their ability to sell Minelab by selling less then a set price. They make up for it by giving away a lot of "goodies" which many times are not really worth much.

I sold one of my Excals for $700, (2.5 years old, I had it 15 months and lost $100) $500 less then the price of a new Excal II, with the money saved he could buy the best made brand new scoop, ( $200 +/- ) and still have $300 left over for other goodies such as maybe a wetsuit, back up scoop, diamond tester, gold tester acids or how ever he wishes to spend it. (I say I lost a $100 over what I had in it when I sold it, but that does not take in to account the silver, gold and coins I found with it. ;D )

I love the waterproofed Sov GT with WOT combo, I already had one with a WOT, and I took it into the surf, usually no deeper then knee deep, but was always very concerned about rouge waves, holes, or tripping over my big feet and making a paper weight out of it. I now have two, so I no longer worry about going into the surf and have worked it waist deep couple times so far with no problems.

It is heaver due to the case so I am adding extra bracket to each side for shoulder harness that will be in addition to the belt mount to distribute the weight better.

I haven't taken any new pictures of it yet, but will soon. Here are couple pictures RJ took of it when he posted it for sale. I know he told me he was flooded with emails when he posted it after receiving mine, some offering him more then what he posted, but being a great guy and honest, he stuck to his posted deal.

WaterproofedGT1.jpg

WaterproofedGT2.jpg

Good luck and good hunting...........

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
TH,

The waterproofed Sov GT looks good. How do you get to the Track, Band and Threshold switches? do you have to open the top to change those settings? How much doest it weight with the waterproof case?

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandy Burton is the primary Customer Service Rep at ML. Perhaps she didn't understand my question (below, bottom) but here was her response:

Hello Dan,

Yes, there are some differences.
1. New color skid plate
2. Slim line coil
3. Protection against noise interference
4. NiMH battery

These are the differences between the two.

Sandy Burton
Minelab USA
Customer Service Manager

-------Original Message-------

Date: 2/26/2008 5:09:03 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: FW: Excalibur

Sandra Burton
Customer Service Manager
Minelab USA, Inc.
871 Grier Dr. Suite B-1
Las Vegas, NV 89119
702-891-8809 ext. # 21

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:14 AM
To: Sandy Burton
Subject: FW: Excalibur

Becky Campau
Reception
Minelab USA, INC.
871 Grier Dr. Suite B-1
Las Vegas, NV 89119

Phone:702-891-8809
Fax:702-891-8810
Email:[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
From[mailto:Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:59 AM
To: Info
Subject: Excalibur

Hi, Has there been any changes to the electronics of the Excal II vs
the
Excal 1000?

Thanks
Dan

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys,i guess there not much dif besides lighter,prettier,works better in salt water and quicker reponse time,did i miss somthing?i think thats about it...........is it worth the extra cash?

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Bomber,

I you can get the Excall II for $995 or less with the 3 year warranty then go for it!

But what do I know, I already got mine for that price.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks,i'd say its a done deal.............it just looks so damn pretty!.....excal 2 woooohooooo ;D.thanks guys for all the info. ;D

J-Moe

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Excal 800 -BHID
Hi Bomber I bought the excal 800 saved a couple hundred bucks luv it . My hunting buddie has both he can,t tell much difference only the new one has 10 inch coil and his other one has 8 inch .good luck J-Moe

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
They should both be the same price, 8 inch coil or 10 inch.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he means he saved couple hundred $ because he bought the Excal 800 not Excal II 800.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread