Coiltecs Platypus Coil for the SE ---

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Coiltec's Platypus Coil for the SE ---

Hello Guys & Gals!
I just wanted to report in; I bought me a Coiltek Platypus coil!

The new baby shoe arrived yesterday and I immediately began putting it through its paces! No lie, my very first find was a 1912 Barber dime hiding among the roots of a very old tree. As luck would have it, the coin got scratched. Maybe I should have left it alone! Anyway, the Platypus coil is a very good coil, steady as a rock. And, the pinpoint is spot on. It does not however compete with my Excelerator 10x14 depth-wise. I've used it now for two days (about 10 hours) and the deepest coin I have recovered is a wheat @ 8 inches. Anyhoo, for $225 including lower rod I probably should have left the ugly orange thing in the Internet Detector store. :(

GRB

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
Re: Coiltec's Platypus Coil for the SE ---

GoldenRoyBoy said:
Anyhoo, for $225 including lower rod I probably should have left the ugly orange thing in the Internet Detector store. :(

GRB

Confused. :icon_scratch: I have the stock coil on my SE and still waiting on my back ordered Sunray 5.5" coil. Would the Coiltek Platypus be another good coil or should I just get a Coiltek WOT for the SE? I'm actually far from even considering another coil till I learn my SE a little more. :wink:

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Re: Coiltec's Platypus Coil for the SE ---

I personally like the look and the feel of CoilTek's Platypus coil (8.5 x 11.5). However, IMO (which according to some doesn't mean much) this coil has no more depth capability than your stock 10.5. I do however really like its rock solid performance and stellar pinpointing capability.

If you are going to invest in a larger coil, I'd recommend Excelerator's 10x14 or round 14 inch.
I have their 16.5 and the 18 inch also; love them both but my back screams. :)
KellyCo has the 10x14 listed for $179.95 ( Catalog #134-10E) according to their latest fly received Monday March 31.

Here's an ad for the Platypus:

COILTEK Waterproof Platypus 8.5 X 11.5 inches DD Pro
Platypus cl-ppeq • For EXPLORER & QUATTRO
Perfectly balanced at 20 ounces
Plus Shipping
Qty: Price: $209.00

PM me is you want to know the source, I don't wish to upset anyone!
GRB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread