Minelab Sovereign Elite or X- terra 70 Please Help Whats better??????

Ed66

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2005

coinsh00ter

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2008
Is it better, probably not, do I like it better than the sovereign series, yes. Much lighter, can be worked faster. Less learning curve, great ground balance, 1 to multiple tone adjustments, and a very nice pinpointing feature. I think that you can probably tweak the Sov to get better results in some conditions, but for the reasons I previously state I love this machine and I haven't even talked about changing coils, change the frequency. It will also keep up in depth with the sov in many conditions.

Dave in NJ

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better is a relative term. Both are great detectors and only what you deem important to your style of hunting should concern you. Some like the display screen, even though it can "lie."

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used the ML X-terra 70, or the Sov Elite, but I love the Sov GT! :thumbsup:

I love it so much that when I saw one go up for sale on the board here that had been water-proofed I jumped on it and I became a 2 Sov GT owner. ;D It is my primary water machine. My Excal became my backup. Sov GT + WOT coil = :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
E

Ed66

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2005
Thankes for the help my new X-terra 70 should be at my doorstep in the am I also got a free 5x10 18.75 kHz Coil (elliptic DD)(back ordered should be in, in a week with it. I will use my Elite W/ WOT coil for the beach. Any good settings for coin hunting in NJ. Thanks Ed

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
If you have a lot of iron junk, the pattern one works great, it nulls the iron and still picks up all types of coins. If your looking for iron artifacts, the 70 is very sensitive to iron. For the up most in finds, all metal mode is the way to go, it just requires a little more work on your part to listen to the sounds. I like using 3 tone mode. The 99 tone mode is something I have not spent the time to get used to. Two tones works better for some. The 6" DD 18.75 kHz coil is a killer in junk infested areas. The 10.75 kHz DD coil has become one of my favorites. It has fantastic depth and is able to separate the junk from the good items. The stock coil works darn good also. I think you will be very pleased with your finds. Check out www.findmall.com. It has an X-Terra section with many good tips and tricks. read the FAQFAQ post. It will really help you get up to speed even before your detector arrives. The light weight of the 70 and the long battery life are a major plus also. Enjoy your new detector, I know you will !

Good hunting, John K

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread