about to buy excaliber

trapprfox

Jan 1, 2008
im about to buy a excaliber and am not sure which one to buy. i have been told that the 800 pin points better but the 1000 covers more area and since your digging in sand your better off with the 1000. also i met a dectorist on the beach by sharkys in venice florida orig. from the bronx in ny. he had a excaliber and we talked for a while but i dont know how to get a hold of him and would like meet him somewhere and talk to him about his excaliber thank you

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off let me welcome you to the forum. :thumbsup:

The Excal is a great detector! I suggest the 1000, for the coverage and depth as you don't have to worry about any pinpointing. To pinpoint most of us don't even use the pinpoint mode, just the Disc mode. When you get a signal, wave the coil back an forth till you think it is near the center while slowly pulling the coil toward you till the sound disappears. When that happens, slowly slide the coil forwards till you first hear the sound and the coin or Pull tab/ring will be just in front of the center of the coil. Try it on clean ground without other metal in it.

It is said that the 800 is more sensitive to small targets, however my 1000 finds earring backs quite well so how small do ya wanna go?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TN.......

If it was me I would get the 1000, I have an Excal 1000, I would not want to have a smaller coil, if anything I want a larger coil. I have been thinking about having a WOT coil put on my Excal by Minelab like I have on my waterproof Sovereign and my land Sov. I personally have not found it any harder to swing the 15 inch WOT in the water then the stock coil.

Sandman is correct (as always :thumbsup:) It is extremely rare I ever pinpoint using my Excal or for that matter my Sovereign. I too have found the tiny backs to earrings with mine.

Good luck and good hunting.............

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other guys are right on the money.....

I think the one you are looking for is
Go to the beach and shallow water section and make a post and he will be along. If he had a beach scoop with a yellow handle it was him...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread