Minelab Explorer SE w/ Sunray X1 Probe - First Impressions - HELP Please

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought this last week from Greg at Trans Bay Detectors in Foster City, CA. Very pleased with my purchase. The SE is far more well designed than I imagined and feels very sturdy while swinging. It's a bit heavy but well balanced. I just have the stock 10.5" coil and when I tested it out in my front yard (Home built in 1943) I heard so many signals in such a small area that it was completely overwhelming. It is like it is in all-metal mode all of the time. I followed several others sugestions to swing it slow (due to the 28 frequencies being processed simultaneouly) and it is just pure target noise everywhere. I tried setting the noise canceling and tried both fast and then the deep settings as well as set the sensitivity to 16 or less. I just can't believe the amount of noise coming from this machine. I am used to my Soverieign or a Garrett GTA-1000 where you hear a signal here and a signal there, not signals everywhere.

I don't know if I should try a different coil to tame it down a bit but I have been just digging signals that are in the upper right which is supposed to be Silver, Dimes, Quarters, etc. and lower middle to lower right (Gold). So far I have found lots of coins doing this but it is just amazing and confusing to think that there is so many pieces of metal in my lawn. I have a feeling I am going to be missing a few wrap=arounds (wrapping from upper right to upper left) and who knows what else by digging only upper right and gold.

Any suggestions, tips, settings or coil recommendations would be sincerely appreciated. I made a big commitment to buy this machine and want it to work out for me. I do have lots of patience so I don't expect deep silver anytime soon but definitely want to get the most out of this awsome detector. Once again, very well made, a quality machine no doubt.

HH, Mark

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
EVERYONE goes through the same thing the first time out with the Minelab. I was in your same boat back in March. I also bought mine through the same source (best source in my opinion)! :wink:

All the people I talked with suggested starting out in factory preset mode for the first few hunts, which quieted down the machine and let me concentrate on the high tone signals. This really helps. After about my fourth hunt, I started using Iron Mask at about 16 and I'm now finally using Iron Mask at about 24. With the Minelab, you'll hear a lot of noises which is very different than all the other detectors. You just wait to listen for the certain tones you want to dig. For me and my hunting area, it's the dime/quarter signals and certain pull tab/nickel tones that I go for.

Beware, that very deep silver can sound into the iron range from what the experts tell me. They guys that dig deep silver basically dig almost every deep signal they hear. :wink:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try hunting in FERR that tends to better eliminate those large iron tones that sound like coins. As far as wrap around, that happends with most detectors, but from what ive read the explores use different tech and doesnt compensate for minerals the same as most detectors. Thats why Andy S said air testing with the explores is pretty accurate to what you get in the ground. I used the DFX and always opened it up so i never really had a problem with all that noise... i just tend to ignore it. The problem with a lot of noise is after a few hours you tend to just be listening for high tones. Im surprised you arent complaining about NULLS more than noise if you have that much junk. Auto will also quiet it down. Sounds like you have a good start thou if you are watching the depth meter and can use the smartfind.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Mark/Beachbum, I have court this morning but later today will drop you a bunch of useful info on the Se, Gregg.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't understand this because the Explorer shouldn't act much different than other detectors. The only thing I can think of is your disc./Iron Mask setting on the Explorer is seeing more than those other units.

Are all these signals targets or noise? That's the difference between working fine & user/detector problem.

Try somewhere else and make sure it's not interference. Noise cancel can't always fix the problem.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
check your e-mail... :) Hopefully this will clear up a few things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions