Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab SE with a 6" Excellerator coil...odd

I was out detecting this morning with the standard coil that comes with the SE model. It was a bit trashy, so I changed coils and went to the newer model of a 6" Excellerator coil....

Detecting around a lake's Marina beach, I kept hitting deep things that rang out and the graph shows to be silver/aluminum can... What's odd about it is that as I would get tones that turned out to be quarters (9 total) the depth gauge would show the depth. When just as solidly hitting those deep "things", the depth gauge sat at the bottom of the scale. For awhile, I thought it was a defective coil, so I stopped and laid down one of the found quarters. The depth gauge would show it and I'd get the usual odd sounds telling me it was on the surface. But everytime I'd hit what might have been an aluminum can, the depth gauge kept registering the say way...just a tiny thread width line.

What is it telling me and why does the graph and sound behave like I'd found a large silver coin but the depth graph basically just sits there?

Thanks,
Bill

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Re: Minelab SE with a 6" Excellerator coil...odd

Bill I just purchased a new 6" Excelerator coil for my Se also... I am waiting for mine to come in the mail... If you purchased new from the big "K", you may want to call them.... Maybe run a series of tests on different coins and see if coil is defective...good luck Gregg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions