Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
If that is what you will be doing for hunting, why don't you go with the sovereign gt. You can still hunt the shallow water with it and you can change coils easily. Just don't drop it in the water.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
you will get 2" more coverage with the 10" but it is a little heavier.and the resistance in the water is more with the 10"..i think if i had it to do over id get the 8"..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree with you Dixie, sorry I really hate to disagree with anything labeled "Dixie". ;D

I have an Excall 1000, a waterproofed Sovereign GT with the 15 inch WOT and another land Sovereign GT with a 15 inch WOT. I will take my WOT coil over the 10 inch in the water on any given day.

Two weeks ago I was hunting Daytona Beach and thought "I will use my Excal", since I hadn't used it in a long time. I put the water-proofed Sov in the van and I hunted with the Excal for about 10-15 minutes before I put it back in the Van. I could not stand the "tiny" 10 inch coil.

When your beach hunting it is hard to beat the WOT coil in my personal opinion. I can cover so much more area with it compared to the 10 inch. I will be 60 in a couple months, and I have no problem swinging the WOT in the water, and I hunt the surf at Daytona too.

Now if you going to hunt like you say "would be using it mostly on dry land , sand fresh water type, and some in shallow water . and would i be wrong to get this model detector ?"

I would do like vondrewvious says and go for the Sovereign GT. I love my Sovereigns, it takes a lot to push an Excal to the back-up position, but that is what the Water-proofed Sovereign has done to my Excal. I use to have 2 Excals, the back up for my Excal was another Excal. When I bought the WP Sov GT, I sold one of the Excals to pay for the Sovereign. After a few weeks the WP Sov pushed the Excal to the back-up position......

If I ever buy a new Excal, I will spend the money to change the coil out for the WOT, or the 12 inch at the very least.............Probably still be a WOT.... :wink:

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Treasure_Hunter said:
I have to disagree with you Dixie, sorry I really hate to disagree with anything labeled "Dixie". ;D

I have an Excall 1000, a waterproofed Sovereign GT with the 15 inch WOT and another land Sovereign GT with a 15 inch WOT. I will take my WOT coil over the 10 inch in the water on any given day.

Two weeks ago I was hunting Daytona Beach and thought "I will use my Excal", since I hadn't used it in a long time. I put the water-proofed Sov in the van and I hunted with the Excal for about 10-15 minutes before I put it back in the Van. I could not stand the "tiny" 10 inch coil.

When your beach hunting it is hard to beat the WOT coil in my personal opinion. I can cover so much more area with it compared to the 10 inch. I will be 60 in a couple months, and I have no problem swinging the WOT in the water, and I hunt the surf at Daytona too.

Now if you going to hunt like you say "would be using it mostly on dry land , sand fresh water type, and some in shallow water . and would i be wrong to get this model detector ?"

I would do like vondrewvious says and go for the Sovereign GT. I love my Sovereigns, it takes a lot to push an Excal to the back-up position, but that is what the Water-proofed Sovereign has done to my Excal. I use to have 2 Excals, the back up for my Excal was another Excal. When I bought the WP Sov GT, I sold one of the Excals to pay for the Sovereign. After a few weeks the WP Sov pushed the Excal to the back-up position......

If I ever buy a new Excal, I will spend the money to change the coil out for the WOT, or the 12 inch at the very least.............Probably still be a WOT.... :wink:
sorry TH but he didnt ask about the WOT he ask the diff between the 8" and the 10"..iv owned the Wot 15" on my GT and it was good but much harder to pinpoint than the S12 which i like much better.i am 60 yrs old and have shoulder problems and it is totally impossible for me to swing a WOT in the water and not long on land and next to impossible to pin point under water with it and what is good for one person might not be good for another.if you are in good shape and arms like POPEYE LOL the bigger coils will give you more coverage,but also the bigger coils are not as sensitive to small gold as the smaller coils.the correct answer i guess would be ...buy them all...i did.lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Sorry I wasn't clear Dixie.

I was only referring to the difference in the resistance in water when swinging coils. I meant I use the WOT which is 5 inches larger and had no problem swinging it in the water..

Sorry about your shoulder problems. I also have shoulder problems but it is my left shoulder and I am right handed. If it was my right shoulder, I couldn't swing the WOT as long as I do now in the water that is for sure.

What I would like to do is use a good PI, and when I locate a target switch to the Excal to identify it. The problem is I can't get the wife to agree to carry the extra detector while I am hunting.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to agree with vondrewvious on using the Sov GT if you aren't planning on going into the water later. Though most that say that end up still wondering what is out in the knee deep water and beond. With the Sov GT you have the option of changing coils any time you want and can spring for the WOT at a later date. The best setup would be the waterproof GT like Treasure Hunter has. I wish I had one as I would hang a WOT on it too and I am old and getting feeble also.

The main difference in the 10 inch coil is a tiny bit of extra weight, little extra water resistance, but lots more coverage per swing than the 8 will give you. Many say that the 800 is more sensitive to smaller gold, but I don't believe that as my 1000 sounds off on small earring backs and studs. Maybe some detectors are just different than the others of the same brand and model. My 800 which I use for diving doesn't seem to be as hot on those earring backs like it should.

Pinpointing is very easy with either coil, even a huge one if you forget X'ing the target and "wiggle the coil" back and forth as you pull it toward you. When the sound stops, slowly slide it forward till you hear the sound and the target is just off the tip of the coil. I never use the pinpoint. I find this method fast and easy for me. I told TH about this and he uses it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman is correct. I rarely if ever use pinpoint on my Excal or Sov's. If you aren't going into the surf if I was you I would go with the Sov GT. It is a fantastic machine, land or beach.

His method he told me about is how I pinpoint with the Excal, works with either the toe or heal of the coil.

Thanks again SM.............

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
thats the way i find the item too,i never use the pinpoint..but for me its still harder under water with a bigger coil.think of it this way..with a 8" coil and a 8" scoop,ya just cant miss..but a 15" coil and a 8" scoop iv had to scoop 6 or 8 times to get it. i guess im just gettin too old or i would hunt with a PI! lol

OP
OP
longsocks

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys i appreciate all your advice on that matter enjoy your hunting paul

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2 cents would be:

8" in the surf, less surface to avoid the pull of the water in and out.

10" if diving or wet/dry sand (not in water), more coverage.

Go with the Excall II, if you are near the water you won,t be afraid of getting it wet.

Ed D.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a sov for 3 years now and love it and I have 4 coils one of them being the 15"
I have not problem swinging it and its super productive on dry sand. I have hunted the waters edge with it a few times but was always uneasy about somehow getting it wet. The longer I hunted the more I wanted to water hunt so after a few trial machines, I ended up with the excal II with the 10" coil. I do feel the tug when I am along the sand just in the surf. In the water its great and on land hip mounted I have no problems.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dixie Digger said:
i guess I'm just gettin too old or i would hunt with a PI! lol

DD, It appears we are about the same age. I will be 60 on my next BD. (60 going on 40) I subtract my wife's age from my age to get my "Real" age..... ;D LOL

I am already to old to use a PI, unless and until they come out with one with disc. I would love to hunt with both a PI and EXcal, and disc the signals the PI locates. I use to hunt with a partner who had a PI, he would call me over to check holes he was digging to China. I would tell him when it was iron...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions