Minelab problems?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have been looking for a new display machine for awhile and have been researching different brands. I was almost dead set on getting a White's MXT, but then got steered towards Minelab. The X-70 sounded like what I wanted in a display unit and got ready to order. The store I was going to order from isn't open at night.... or at least the salesman I talk to isn't there so I started looking around at different websites to see what everyone else thought of Minelabs. The more I searched the more horror stories I found about Minelab's service and problems. Not only that the warranty is only for 2 years. The store I am buying from gives you a 2 year extended warranty. That is not bad, but I feel the factory warranty should be better though. I emailed Minelab approx. a week ago and haven't gotten a response. That doesn't look good on their part especially coupled with the horror stories that I have read about their customer service.
I know anything can have problems, especially when you are making items in mass volume. Seems that most of the problems have started just recently though. I am about to drop $700.00 on a machine and I want a good machine. I don't want a machine that will give me problems and will be in the shop for weeks on end. I just want a good solid machine from a company that will stand behind the machine in a timely fashion.
I don't want this thread to turn into a bash feast. I just want straight answers on if you have had any problems with your Minelab and their customer service. If this was a smaller purchase then I wouldn't be too worried about it, however $700.00 for me is a large purchase and I want to make an informed choice.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your frustrations with deciding on a new machine. Yes, your right $700 is a bunch of money for most of us. I read and printed out tons of information before I purchased my present main detector an X-terra 70. You are going to read, "horror" stories about most anything you buy. Maybe Minelab's warranty isn't the best but, I have faith in their product. I have dealt with Minelab on and off since 2000 and personally have never had a problem. I sold my MXT to buy the X-terra, still I feel they are both awesome machines. Do your research and then purchase. Remember, this all boils down to what you are comfortable with.

May 6, 2006
I can tell you about the Excal 2 in salt water. The words "haywire" and "bananas" come to mind. You need to wrap the coil cable around the shaft so tightly that it can't move (think death grip). Then I suggest using a nylon screw to hold the coil so it can't possibly move! My hunting partner and I bought our Excal 2s back in February and have identical problems. As for service, Minelab is still great. I think they know they have a problem with the Excal 2...otherwise, why would they send 10 returned units off to Ireland for an in depth analysis? That info came from their repair shop in Vegas. I sold my replacement Excal 2 and plan on buying a used Excal 1000/800. BTW, the result of the analysis is that nothing is wrong with the machine...operator error was their conculsion....I wonder.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't had trouble with any of my Minelabs and I've used the Excalibur, Explorer II, Sovereign GT, and now XS.

I did return my Excalibur to the U.S. service center for a new seal and they were very good and fast. It didn't leak the seal just didn't look right to me. But that was back in 05 and I don't know how they are today.

With any super deep and complex machine you'll find people who love and hate them. I almost hated my XS until I decided I wasn't going to give up on it. Suddenly the lights went on and it became very simple and smooth.

I personally think this is the big issue with all properly constructed Fisher F75's, the Whites DFX, Nautilus IIb, and all Minelabs.

I've never used the X70 but since it's made by Minelab I'd bet it's good too.

As for warranty issues I'd say be careful about what you read on forums.

As for unanswered emails--well I've had that with Tesoro, Garrett, Nautilus, and Fisher.

Don't mess with emails--call them!

All companies today get tons of spam.

Badger

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any Minelab horror stories.

I got one of the original Excaliburs in 1997, and it worked like a charm when I got rid of it, and bought an Excalibur 1000 about a year ago (2007). No problems.

I have had a Quattro, that I sold because it wasn't necessary after I got the XTerra 70. No prob lems with either one.

I also have an SD2000 Gold Machine. It has been fairly heavily modified, and has worked flawlessly for about 10 years.

.....and I agree. Call them. Always better. Also, get yourself a local dealer.

Best-Mike

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont have a horror story either since my Minelab has always works just fine. :wink: as for their customer service, i honestly wouldnt know. :wink:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
I haven't had trouble with any of my Minelabs and I've used the Excalibur, Explorer II, Sovereign GT, and now XS.

I did return my Excalibur to the U.S. service center for a new seal and they were very good and fast. It didn't leak the seal just didn't look right to me. But that was back in 05 and I don't know how they are today.

With any super deep and complex machine you'll find people who love and hate them. I almost hated my XS until I decided I wasn't going to give up on it. Suddenly the lights went on and it became very simple and smooth.

I personally think this is the big issue with all properly constructed Fisher F75's, the Whites DFX, Nautilus IIb, and all Minelabs.

I've never used the X70 but since it's made by Minelab I'd bet it's good too.

As for warranty issues I'd say be careful about what you read on forums.

As for unanswered emails--well I've had that with Tesoro, Garrett, Nautilus, and Fisher.

Don't mess with emails--call them!

All companies today get tons of spam.

Badger
MB ...Is right here if you have a problem don't Email them call them they get tons of email they probabilty don't get to all the emails in the day.Then they come in the next day and have a ton more..........Mine lab has always done me right and i have been useing there detectors since 1992....................................Any time i have a problem no matter what Co. i pick up the phone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................Jim

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
I know first hand That minelab has excellent customer service. I also dropped the $700 on the Xterra 70 and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have learned over time to take online reviews and opinions with a grain of salt. I have purchased many products based on online reviews and concluded that the people reviewing must be crazy. Look up your vehicle online. I'm sure you will find many horror stories.

GA Digger

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2008
Detector(s) used
E-Trac & SE Pro
Please... don't buy it. I've got an SE Pro and it's great.
Don't buy the Minelab, cause if you do, you'll be just like the rest - digging up all the good stuff before I can get to it!

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
iv owned about all the brand's made and to be honest iv never sent one in for repairs! and most of the problems you read about is operator malfunction! people don't take the time to learn there machine and how they function under different conditions.my coil wire on my Excal ll is only wrapped 2 times up the shaft to the hip mounted box.this is my 4th Excal and no problems .most of the problems are when people try to run too high sensitivity wheather it be an Excal or MXT or GT or Tejon or F75.....or the ground balance is set wrong.there is a beach in NC i can only run my GT sensitivity at 3 o'clock..1 mile down the same beach i can run it at 9 o'clock...big difference. through trial and error iv found what detector works best for me and my hunting conditions/style.I'm sure with millions of detectors sold there are some problems,just as with cars.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
I bought an Etrac a couple of weeks ago from Ron Shore at Windy City Detectors. Took it out of the box and went hunting with fellow tnetter GOIO. He has an etrac as well. The tones were messed up in 4 tone. They would hum, be elongated, and be elongated then hum. It was definitely not right. GOIO checked it as well and we both knew it had a problem. I called Ron and explained what was wrong. He called Minelab and it was agreed to trade it out at Rons place. Ron had a new one ready to go when I got there and I have been a happy camper ever since. I was very pleased with Minelab and Rons help. TMAN...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v had the same sovereign since 1999

Had no Problems Throught the Warranty.

Then they Started.

First I hunted in the rain & My Meter got wet & Died.
They replaced it for free out of warranty.

Second the coil wire broke at the connector End
were They first sent me a free one to
repair Myself After looking at the schematic
I thought Better of it & Sent the detector in
For them to repair. They did it for free
(Out of warranty).

Several times My V-Clip That holds the Control box
Broke several times over a 3 Year Period.
They always shipped me new ones Free
(Out of warranty)

Once My Coil wire Broke at the Coil.
These were all Operator Caused Problems.
I'm sure. it as from Wacking up against Branches
while Squeezing in Tight Spots.

These were all Operator Caused Problems.
I'm sure.

Havn't had any Problems in the Last few years with it
Except Driving over it.
Which I Never sent it in for.
Just bought New Parts.

They are Now Under New Ownership.

I would Hope Service is The same.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
As everyone said...call them.

I had problems with mine, sent it in and they shipped it back fast :thumbsup:. All the work was under warranty. The only problem was they required an adult signature at delivery, so I had to call them to change shipping to a place where they could sign for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread