Coiltek Joey 5"x10" vs. Detech Excelerator 4.5"x7" & 5" vs. Sunray X-5 5.5"

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Coiltek Joey 5"x10" vs. Detech Excelerator 4.5"x7" & 5" vs. Sunray X-5 5.5"

So I've been to some really trashy sites that contain a ton of iron and/or pull tabs and I know there is some silent masking going on there where one piece of trash is just too close to a good target for my large 11" SE Pro coil to see. I'm looking for something small now for those areas where I've dug plenty of old coins at 4-6".

The Coils
Coiltek Joey 5"x10" DD 13OZ. ($199.00) <LINK>
Detech Excelerator 4.5"x7" DD ($195.00) <LINK>
Detech Excelerator 5" DD ($119.95) <LINK>
Sunray X-5 Stealth 5.5" DD 10OZ. ($189.95) <LINK>

I've been reading a lot of posts and reviews on many different forums and I'm still confused, but I have an idea of what I want.

One question, I heard the Joey wasn't waterproof in the past, but maybe it is now? The other three definitely are waterproof.

I was thinking that because the Explorer nulls on iron if the blade edge of the DD coil is directly over iron and the target, that the best coil to get would be the smallest DD that produces the smallest blade edge, while maintaining the depth that I need to reach the old coins.

It would seem then that the Detech Excelerator 5" is the way to go, and it's cheap. But I read ONE user say the Sunray X-5 5.5" was specifically better than the Excelerator 5". It's only a half an inch more, but the price is a lot more. Anyone know what makes it so much better, if it even is? Will these smaller coils reach 6" though with ease, or do I need to go for the Excelerator 4.5"x7" ? ? ?

I don't really care to cover more ground, I think that actually defeats the purpose of a small coil. Trash can still be above and below the coil so a non-elliptical should sniff out the targets better.

Is this why people have like 15 coils in a closet? Any advice?? Hopefully I hear from the guy that DOES have 15 coils in his closet. :icon_farao:

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer CTX 3030
Re: Coiltek Joey 5"x10" vs. Detech Excelerator 4.5"x7" & 5" vs. Sunray X-5 5.5"

The only one of those that I've tried is the Sunray X-5 and I love it!!! This thing has amazing depth for it's size. I love the separation and only hate the coverage as it's a pretty small coil. :wink:

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the reply Weasel_Loader! Any guess on just how deep that coil goes on dimes?

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used

I believe my silver Rosie that I got with it was about 5", but I've hit Lincolns at close to 8" with it. The best thing about the coil is the separation in heavy trash. :wink:

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used

Weasel_Loader said:
I believe my silver Rosie that I got with it was about 5", but I've hit Lincolns at close to 8" with it. The best thing about the coil is the separation in heavy trash. :wink:

That's an impressive depth for a 5.5" coil. I'll have to get one of these and report back on how much loot I find in some of my really old trashy sites. Sites like really old trees in parks with lots of roots exposed that still have people coming to hang out under their shade and throw their pop tabs and screw tops on the ground. I've been thinking after I find all the goodies I can in an area that I should start working to clear small 20ft sq. sections of ALL surface trash and see what more pops out!

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used

So I ended up getting something that wasn't even on my list up there... a 6" Detech Excelerator coil!

It weighs practically nothing at all.

First impression was that it was doing well but not super awexome next to my SE Pro 11" coil... but then... I changed some settings and found a worthy location for it.

I'm able to crank my sensitivity to 32 on the SE Pro with no problems with stability. It's as quiet as my SE Pro coil on lower sensitivity settings. This jacked setting allows the coil to REALLY go deep. I am seeing about 10" on an air test with a dime! Keep in mind you have to keep your gain set to at least 7 or possibly 8 to get a good solid tone at this depth.

I took this coil to an area around a well hunted hundred+ year old tree that is now littered with surface trash. I've been over this area with my ACE 250, my SE Pro 11" coil, and my dad has hit it with his DFX and 6x10 White's Eliptical DD coil. When I got there I just started sweeping a 3 foot radius around the tree, and I dug 2 quarters, 5 dimes, and 6 pennies! I did not dig a single piece of trash :)

Pinpointing with this coil is a piece of cake. Sweep left to right and center it over the signal, then pull straight back while wiggling in the center and the target is right under the tip of the coil when the tone fades out. Despite this I was still using my Sunray X-1 to sniper the target to make sure I was right. So far so good!

I also picked up a Lesche digging tool, and I must say this should have been the first digger I bought!

Weasel_Loader

Feb 16, 2008
California City, Ca
Detector(s) used

Sounds like your going to be making some great finds. I have not had many opportunities to use my Sunray X-5 but last weekend found a perfect site that should hold more silver that is hiding among the trash. I'll give my X-5 a wack at it. Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used

Hey good luck to you too! Just remember to still go slow - at about a 1 second or slower sweep rate. I noticed that even though the target separation is improved with a smaller coil, because you've increased the number of targets it's looking at you still have to go slow and listen for those high tones. I also had a tendency to speed up to cover more ground... but had to remember to be patient and work every ounce out of the ground. After I clear this tree of high tones in CONDUCT sounds, I'll probably go back in FERROUS and look for gold :) I also still think it would be interesting to clear away ALL of the trash and see if there are any coils hiding directing under the trash. This could be a good winter project if this season is not too cold.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

RootMaster............I'm thinking about getting the SunRay 5.5 coil myself!!..........A lot of posts say that this is a good coil to defeat the masking !..............I normally use the 11 inch coil too and am also looking at the 7.5 inch coil! Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread