Meteor/Falling Star

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHA! My neighbor was out on his back porch having a smoke when all of a sudden a falling star hit the area behind his barn....he said it scared the living s--- out of him! He dove into his house! So this spring after the ground dries up, hopefully we will have something. When I talked to him, he hasn't checked yet to see exactly where it hit! He said it was a good thing his cows were in the barn...LOL!

Anybody else out there see any more falling stars?

Melnatcat

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to "Catch a Falling Star and Put It In My Pocket" once but it killed me. Monty

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He must not know how much they can be worth. I'd have been running toward it, not away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T wait until spring. Get out there now. You might be able to see a hole in the snow or mud.
Maybe you can help him out with your detector. There are a lot of things it could be besides a meteorite, but I would want to know.

Here is the one that fell in Canada in November
http://skyriver.ca/astro/bruce/meteorite.htm

THis site sells meteorites
http://www.catchafallingstar.com/

sticksboards

Dec 4, 2007
North Branch Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Carrett
I think I my have seen that one on that night. I was driving south on hyw65 it was awsom! Biggest blazing thing I ever saw. And the reason we don't go chasing off over hill and dale after these things in December, is because it is "December"in Minnesota.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a falling star around Nov 21 or 22 while traveling from Renville County, Minnesota to Ft. Worth, Texas. I was on I-35 south of Wichita, KS and it was at night and saw it out the left window of the car for an instant. I'm now in Tucson, AZ for the winter. It was cold yesterday and only got up to 55, but supposed to be sunny and in high 60's and low 70's for next few days. I got out for the first time since I got here in November on New Year's Day at a local middle school. It was late in the day so only had an hr. before dark. Got my first $1.15 and 12 coins of 2009. One wheatie 1944-D. Also found a 9 V Heavy Duty Battery (fully charged) and a Samsung cell phone battery (also full charge) on top of the ground. Good to see Goose and Melnatcat on here. I see Goose once a year at a DFX only get together that is held out of state. Last three years in Ohio and this coming year in Michigan. Saw Melnatcat about 3 or 4 years ago at the metropolis that is called Lastrup, MN. I'm not saying the town is small, but I think the city limits signs there were back to back and for excitement on Saturday night, people would drive up to the intersection and watch the caution light blink ! ! ! !

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
"It was cold yesterday and '0nly' got up to 55." Aw, that's too bad. I'll see if I can muster up a few of us Minnesotans, hold a meeting, and collectively feel sorry for you. (See you in April.)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with Rob in KS, I'd be after it right away some of them are rather brittle and won't last long!

biggstile

Mar 4, 2011
Burnsville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Whites Buillseye II Pinpointer
I have found quite a few Meteorites, about palm sized, some quite interesting looking to me. They're magnetic, and from the research I've done, have quite a few signs of being authentic Meteorites, so I'm confident about what I've found. They are in a local park -- sure there are more. The funny thing is that I've found them with my cheapest detector ONLY: Discovery 1100. The circuitry or coil on that machine loves them! All my other better detectors don't target them at all. Moral of story: Sometimes you really shouldn't judge a book/detector by it's cover. It has many weaknesses, but one strength my others don't. That's the only reason I keep this detector.

I don't think these are worth more than a few bucks. There are quite a few on eBay for not much. Anyone think otherwise?

Scribe

Feb 18, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around 2001 or 2002 I saw a falling star. BIG. I was on US 12 near Montrose. It was one of those winter nights where it's really clear skies. It was headed south towards Carver County. I wish I had called it in or something. I may not be a meteorite hunter but I'm sure someone out in the academic or treasure hunting world would have appreciated it. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread