Researching

wetlawnmulch

Greenie
Dec 24, 2008
Being new to this I have a few questions to throw out there, I would welcome any advice or knowledge that others would have. After my initial overwelming intake of places to search I have finally begun to put some sites together. Is it worth the trouble to search a cultivated farm field? I have found an early 1900 church site that is now a farmers field. Old depot sites? I have found a 3 train depot sites that are where torn down and one is a development the other two are open meadows. My question would be I have a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, am I just going to be digging up scrap metal? My last question is about getting landowner permission. How do most of you go about talking to land owners, and when? Do you send them a letter, call them on the phone, just show up and ask? And how early do you usually ask, does it pay to start asking now to do it this spring or summer? Any help would be appreciated, and I understand that in most cases it would pay just to try it, cause you never know what you are going to find. I guess I am looking for any past experience in that I am not ever going to rule out the possibility of finding something the site will just not be at the top of my list.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
W L M, IF you know where an old church stood and where train depots were, search! The farmer's plowed (they do it different in England---they PLOUGH their fields) field is a very good site to check out, but you should, within reasonable accuracy know where the church stood. As for train depots, you'll find a LOT of scrap metal, but that goes with the territory. Heck, after around 30 scrap digs at a depot once, I found a VG 1886 V nickel......yeah, I'll dig on a 30-1 ratio to find a coin like that anyday!

As for asking permission, I've been turned down only once in approx. a dozen times I've asked for permission to detect. I approach the owner (ask adjoining neighbors where the owner lives if the place is unoccupied) and ask, "Would it be possible to look for old metal items with my metal detector? I'm sort of a history buff in this area." DON'T show up with your detector in hand, digging tool in your belt, and showing signs of eagerness. DON'T say you're going to look for coins.....that gives the owner the idea that you are going to 'Take His' coins when detecting. Be pleasent, always smile, and possibly mention that anything you find that might be interesting to the owner, you'll show him. I've been 'detained' for up to 45 minutes talking AND getting permission, but that's the price I'm willing to pay for permission. After detecting, IF I see the owner outside, I approach him and thank him and mention (sometimes show him) the items I found. No one has ever asked me for items I've found when I show them....even coins. GO for it!!

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Good advice... I have asked some local title companies for site of old records and have had some success... it is public knowledge if you ask for it at the clerk of courts. .50 cent's per copy or a $1.00 at some of them.

Good luck HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread