Three Rivers Park District to outlaw detecting - Hearing scheduled

DirtFlipper

Greenie
Oct 7, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro, White's MXT
I saw this article in the Sunday Star Tribune (page B6 Metro section) that says (excerpt):

"Metal prospecting also would be prohibited under the rule changes. Prospecting has been allowed in parks by permit, but officials want to stop it because prospectors have disturbed natural areas when they have dug up what they have located with their detectors, Magrew-King said." (quoting district spokesman Jason Magrew-King).

"The proposed changes will be opened to public comment at 5 p.m. Jan. 22 at the Park District Administrative Center, 3000 Xenium Lane N. in Plymouth. The parks board is scheduled to vote after the hearing."

"To review the proposed rules changes, call the park district at 763-559-9000 or find them online at http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org."

So, here's another chip away at our freedom to pursue our hobby. If you can spare a few moments to voice your opposition to this, maybe they'll at least know there is some. I wonder how they determined what caused any disturbances to natural areas anyway? Squirrels and moles do worse than any responsible metal detectorist.

Just makes me mad. (This is Hennepin county area).

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
D F, yes, the pols (politicians) will have their way and vote for the ban. I live in the St Cloud area and there are no detecting problems here. Generally, the larger the city is, the greater the laws. There is a little thing I've been doing in this area. Over the yrs, I have been donating NICE items that I find to our local museum (Stearns Co. Historical Center in St Cloud). I've donated items from the 1880s and 1890s to the museum that they didn't even know existed.....a few items valued highly. The staff at the museum welcomes me with open arms whenever I go there.
NOW.....The reason I do this is that if ever your situation arises here as it has in Plymouth, I'll call on the staff at the museum to back me (detecting) up. I personally don't think the pols will have a chance.

I just finished my 18th yr detecting in this area and I've never had any problems detecting schools, the St Cloud St campus, parks, torn down buildings, torn up neighborhoods, etc. If I were in your area, I would go to the hearing and CALMLY discuss the situation. I hope you go. Good Luck.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
They were only allowing detecting on beaches in off season & required a $25 annual permit to do that. With govt hurting for money, I'm surprised they'd say they don't want it. The oldest park in their system is 1958, but a number of people went water hunting for gold rings (guess that's why they called it prospecting).

Oh no, the grains of sand have been moved around! Surely that will cause the end of the world! Ban them! What about little kids moving sand around? Are they going to arrest them? Why is it considered worse when a metal detector is used? Of course, govt isn't required to make sense or be honest about their reasons. HH, George (MN)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our MD club in Rochester is fortunate to have been supported by the Park and Recreation Department for nearly 30 years. In return for getting a free meeting location each month, our members assist local law enforcement in looking for evidence at crime scenes. We perform neighborhood watches in the local parks and immediately report vandalism to the authorities. Club members have also compiled large stacks of "thank you' letters for recovering and returning lost valuables to people in hopes of getting the State Parks Management to back off on some of the restrictions pertaining to the use of metal detectors on state park lands. The club Officers even set up special meetings with the State Parks Management, DNR, and State Archaeologist, but were unable to lift the restrictions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread