If you travel to Wisconsin to metal detect, you better read this!

Scully

Jun 19, 2007
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
Archies in Wisconsin last fall closed off ALL lake and river bottoms to metal detecting, and all state land without any public meetings or input. They just decided to shut it all down. No more permits will be issued unless you can prove you are searching for someones lost item. I wont go into their reasoning because it makes no sense to me.

I am Gene Scullion, president of the Four Lakes Metal Detector Club in Madison, WI, and our club decided to fight what they are doing. We have been paying a lot money to a lobbyist and we now have a bill ready to go to committee probably before the end of October. If successful, it will allow us to regain the waters and some of the land sites, with some restrictions I am sure. We will need a lot of phone calls, emails and letters to state representatives to get the majority on our side. When we are ready with the Bill, I will make another post with form letters and links to state reps.

How can you help if you live out of state? Tourism is big here in Wisconsin, so if you ever travel here on vacation and want to metal detect, or if you own vacation property here, contact the rep for that area and let him know your tourist dollars will go someplace else if this bill is not passed. If you have friends/relatives in Wisconsin, contact them and ask them to help. If you are not sure which representative to call, let me know and I will help you figure it out. Out of staters are more than welcome to respond to this.

What we need is you to simply state that you want them to support the bill. No need for blame or argument, we simply need you to show support for the bill. If you want to stress tourism dollars, that would be more than fine. Some offices have telephone recorders that are on 24 hours a day so even if you cant call during working hours, still make the effort. Simply leave a message with your name, what bill you want them to support, and maybe a brief message why. Thats all there is to it. The Representatives all have email as well, and again, you only need to state your desire to have them support the bill. These people are the ones we WANT ON OUR SIDE, so be polite and professional in your actions.

I will make another post once the Bill numbers have been assigned. We really need your help boys, I hope all of you can make an effort to get the word out to your friends/relatives or important prominent people. I would love the representatives to be flooded with requests to support this bill. If you have friends and relatives in other states that visit Wisconsin, contact them as well! Its time to get the word out, and get it out quickly!

Thanks boys. We gotta stick together on this. Results in Wisconsin, good or bad, could have significant effect on other states doing or considering the same actions. Make your voice heard, its time! If you would like more information, or have questions, feel free to contact me.

Scully
Gene Scullion
President, Four Lakes Metal Detector Club (Madison)
[email protected]
608-213-6622

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are girls out there too. (women's lib) I actually spent a few days in WI water Md'ing last fall and would like to do it again. That was the only reason for our trip there. I will call.

trapper

Mar 22, 2009
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500and Garret SeaHunter MarkII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we all stick together as a group and speak as one with our $$ someone will listen, I live in MN but my son lives in Wisc.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jessie, if this old post from 2009 had/has any merit (is true, or even enforced), it would only apply to state parks/land anyhow. Would still have nothing to do with county, city, and private lands. This post was only about state operated parks (or waterways or whatever), which is a different entity than other levels of government lands.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, Wisconsin DNR just recently closed a NUDE beach on weekdays. Seems some nudists go into the woods for sex or drugs and they want to stop it. This means the beach will be crowed on weekends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions