Minnesota laws.... anyone???

sven925

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70
I haven't found anything regarding restrictions but down towards the Cities they area bit more stringent in everything. I simply try to leave the smallest mark possible go early ( less people )
and ask a few county/ park employees whats going on plus I pick up a bit of trash especially metal so if anyone asks I show the junk i have cleared to prove I care about the area.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I live near St Cloud and St Cloud (Minn, not Florida) is my main detecting grounds. I normally detect torn up neighborhood reconstruction and in 18 yrs I have never been told to leave. I also go into St Cloud's city hall every April and ask the engineering department where the year's construction will take place. They tell me AND give me marked prints. This coming yr will be a winner!! I have also detected at St Cloud State U's campus many times without a hoot from anyone....in fact the 'campus cops' sometimes ask me, "Find anything good today?"....they see me around a lot. I have also gone to an old Boy Scout camp (1938 to 1955-?) and detect a lot. This 'camp' is now abandoned with the buildings gone but some foundations and concrete slabs still there. This is city property.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT

Last edited:

marko453

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2010
Hmmmm. "Minnesota the state where absolutely nothing is allowed", Joe Soucheray. Well, I thought digging little holes in the woods was OK but I guess not. :dontknow: Maybe metal detectors should be outlawed in this state, it seems appropriate. >:( WTF!!

Mark

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Aw come on! I'm in my 19th yr detecting and I've been in most St Cloud city parks, on St Cloud University's campus many times, and all over the place......I've never been told to leave! Yeah, once I was detecting an old neighborhood street tear up and I, standing where a sidewalk was removed, 'happened' to swing my tector (if you're cool, you use the term 'tector' instead of detector) over a guy's front lawn. I WAS NOT on his lawn. Through an open window I heard, "Get off my f---in' lawn." I then continued on my detecting.....away from his house.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT

Last edited:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
All state-owned property is off limits -big fines possible. Some counties don't allow it either: Hennepin, Dakota, Scott, maybe others. I think Ramsey County parks wants you to get a permit but think they are free?

It's best not to ask permission in city parks or public schoolyards, but best to detect schoolyards when school isn't having classes. Just don't do damage & the worst they can do is ask you to leave & that's unlikely.

The reason it's best not to ask is because desk-bound bureaucrats will just quote you laws about property damage that existed long before metal detectors were invented. Yes, those old laws say no disturbing the soil, no removing anything, that's what they'll quote you but on city park or public school property it would be unlikely they'd do anything as long as you aren't doing damage. HH, George (MN)

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I guess laws might be enforced in large cities or if some guv'ment or school worker has nothing better to do. I've been detecting around St Cloud for close to 20 yrs now and have never been told to move on or that it's against the law. I've detected a mutitude of schools (no kids around), parks, and neighborhoods when the streets are torn up. Many times I've detected St Cloud State U's campus.....not a peep from anyone. I like it this way around here.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT

Last edited:

wally4

May 4, 2008
This may be of help. This is a link to city ordinances for cities in MN

http://www.lawlibrary.state.mn.us/ordinance.html

I searched a few of the cities and found no mention of metal detecting in their ordinances. If nothing is mentioned I would feel comfortable detecting these city parks. If confronted you can always say you searched the city ordinance and found no mention of metal detecting being prohibited and ask them to show you where it is illegal to metal detect.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Your comment was good Wally4. I live in the St Cloud area and I've been detecting for a long time around here. I just detect....and I've never been told to leave an area in city parks, school playgrounds (when kids aren't around), and even the St Cloud State College's campus. When a neighborhood is torn up for rejuvination (watermains, curbs, sanitary, etc), I detect only between the curb and where the sidewalk used to be. DON"T reach over to detect on the houses' front lawn (from the sidewalk to the house).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread