Meet other MN Hunters

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
hello Im david From St. Paul. Currently im going to Minnesota State University- Mankato. I have never gone hunting with a MD. I would like to get into it someday since I would have access to alot of old farm places in the South Western part of the state, but for now I just go through coins at the bank. Its nice to hear from you all.

david

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Hey David, thanks for stopping By.
I have been to Mankato only once but man!
that town looks like there would be a ton of old places to hunt.
Especially if you know any home owners down there.

I hope you get the chance to try some MDing.
It can be work but find something cool and you'll be hooked.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wetgreenie said:
Hey David, thanks for stopping By.
I have been to Mankato only once but man!
that town looks like there would be a ton of old places to hunt.
Especially if you know any home owners down there.

I hope you get the chance to try some MDing.
It can be work but find something cool and you'll be hooked.

Hi guys!
I couldn't help but to chime in on this one.
I have done some detecting in Mankato when they were doing some street projects last year. The construction guys were very friendly and didn't mind at all that we were detecting there. However, I have heard that North Mankato is off limits to detecting on city owned property. A friend was detecting a private yard with the owners permission. He wandered onto the boulevard and was told by a Police Officer that he could not detect the boulevard even though the property owner gave him permission to check his yard.
North Mankato and Saint Peter are two towns in Minnesota that I know of that are off limits. It still wouldn't hurt to check. They may have lightened up a little over the years.
Good Luck!

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
Where is the best place to go to find information about local MD regulations. Is it just banned in North Mankato or all of Mankato?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
just thought i would put in my 2 cents worth (clad) lol. born and raised in the north star state, and if I remember correctly, it has over 27,000 lakes, 68,000 swamps, 11.7 billion mosquitos, and 1 BIG a** mall have a good one.

fuji

Mar 1, 2007
central minnesota
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
hi live in brainerd. had my first detector in 1982 my name is dale.and i suck at typing ;) nice to know i am not the only one from mn ;D

B

Barracuda

Hey fellow Minnesotans!

Not only am I new to Treasurenet, but I'm new to treasure hunting in general. A buddy got me into it last year and now I can't get hunting off my mind! I'm going to Normandale right now to get general credits out of the way, and then I'm hoping to go to Florida for a major in Nautical Archaeology. Looking forward to taking some SCUBA lessons this summer and getting into the realm of sunken treasure. Any advice from anyone who is into that would be awesome.

Peace

Dave from Apple Valley

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Yea, that would be a great place to practice water hunting skills.
Lotsa clad in there I bet......

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!

Although I am not new to treasurenet, I am new to metal detecting as I just bought my first MD (Garrett Ace 250) last Friday. Tried it out an hour or two a day the last few days (mainly clearing a couple of local parks of nails/screws/paper clips/etc), but in the process did manage to find 2 clad quarters, 2 clad dimes, 1 recent nickel, and 9 memorial pennies.

Looking forward to exploring a bit more as I get a feel for it.

Gary from Farmington.

Stargeezer

May 23, 2007
I'm new to this forum, and really enjoy it. I live in So Minn, in Waseca.It's about 30 miles E of Mankato. Several yrs, ago, I was going up a trail in one of the parks in Kato, and there, on the surface was a Minnie ball!! I thought it may be a new one droppoed by a re-enactor, didn't keep it. As far as hunting in parks in Kato, probe, stab with a knife to the side, and lever it out. Or dig a plug, 3-sided. I've heard of people hunting in Kato parks for yrs. with no problems from authorities, but maybe that's changed. I'd like to hear from some MDers in the area, maybe do some looking together. I'm shopping for a MD, would appreciate being able to borrow one till I can purchase. If you know of a machine for less than $300, let me know!! Thanks, Mark

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stargeezer said:
I'm new to this forum, and really enjoy it. I live in So Minn, in Waseca.It's about 30 miles E of Mankato. Several yrs, ago, I was going up a trail in one of the parks in Kato, and there, on the surface was a Minnie ball!! I thought it may be a new one droppoed by a re-enactor, didn't keep it. As far as hunting in parks in Kato, probe, stab with a knife to the side, and lever it out. Or dig a plug, 3-sided. I've heard of people hunting in Kato parks for yrs. with no problems from authorities, but maybe that's changed. I'd like to hear from some MDers in the area, maybe do some looking together. I'm shopping for a MD, would appreciate being able to borrow one till I can purchase. If you know of a machine for less than $300, let me know!! Thanks, Mark

Welcome. I'm relatively new the MD side of this forum as well. Still waiting to find my first silver coin with my MD. Did find a couple wheat pennies, but other than that its been a bunch of clad, but that's been about it. Granted that's partially due to where I have been hunting, which has been mainly recently built local parks/schools as I have been bringing my kids with most of the time to let them play as well. I think going hunting with someone else who shares an interest in it would be fun as well.

Although I am not an expert on machines, I bought a Garrett ACE 250 (+ headphones) for under $300 new a little over a month ago. Seems to be a good machine to me for the price. And I am now starting to get the hang of it pretty good and I can usually tell the trash from the "treasure". I still choose to dig some of the trash, but at least I have an expectation up front when I dig it. You also may be able to find a used one.

Went out last night to a local park for around an hour right before dark (8 to 9 pm) and ended up with $1.03 (3 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, and 3 pennies) + 1 hot wheels car and that was with constant interruptions from my daughter (who is 5) wanting to be pushed on the swing or my son (who is 8) wanting to throw around his nerf football. I probably ended up only really MD'ing for 30-40 minutes before it was too dark to see.

Gary

Stargeezer

May 23, 2007
You got that much time in?!! When my kids were that age, I'd only get park hunting time if my wife was with to watch the kiddies. We'd go to Montevideo from Waseca, and stop at playgrounds in some of the small towns in-between. Especially memorable was the county park where I got an iron signal near a large oak tree. My wife said she'd dig it. I was tired of digging trash, so go ahead!! She called me over in a few minutes to help her get this large spark-plug type of wrench loose from the roots. ??? A bit more digging revealed the nipple of an octaganol-shaped gun barrel!! I ended up digging a 2-ft long trench, cutting away roots from an offshoot tree that were growing around the barrel. No harm to the old-timer, minimal to the offshoot. It is still growing, we checked. It was about 16-12 gauge. A month or so later I met the great-grandson of the people that had first homesteaded the property in the mid-1800s. About the time of the Great Sioux Uprising. I wonder what the story of the gun barrel was. He didn't know, but thanked me for the gift!!

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi folks, I'm Jim. I swing a Ace 250 and love every minute of it. I am always game to hunt with a partner. I am by Marshall, in S.W. MN. If you come by this way some time, drop me a line!

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cottonjim, are you from the Cottonwood area? My mother was from Marshall and I have several relatives in both Marshall and Cottonwood. I picked up a few coins from around the BB field at Cottonwood a couple of weeks ago when I was returning home from Marshall. Hope I wasn't infringing on your "territory". Marshall has their main street torn up from sidewalk to sidewalk for about 5 or 6 blocks, but they had moved too much dirt and sand around and it was very uneven terrain and there was a lot of junk/trash to deal with. I was there on a weekend. My cousin tipped me off to an open lot that Schwan's apparently bought to build on and it had 3 houses up on blocks that were going to be moved. Only 1 had a basement and it had been filled in, but I found a few coins in the open areas. It was about 3 blocks from the downtown tearup.
Butch in Renville County

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi Butch, yep I am "in" Cottonwood, so goes the name "cotton"jim :) Moving in on my territory are ya ehhh ;D It's all good, hope you find something that I overlooked. Marshall's downtown is a mess right now isn't it? they are moving so much earth around I wouldn't even want to try to MD there. The cabinet manufacturer in town recently moved out a few houses and I MD'd the site afterwards but they had done so much site work, all I found was some trash. Also, the old school in town was torn down a while ago and I have been meaning to go there and try my luck but now some houses are atarting to be built there so I may have missed my window.
I have seen a few people around town MD'ing and I always want to stop and say "Hi" and check their finds but I haven't yet, probably because I don't want to bother them (I know how focused I get when hunting). If your coming by town some time let me know, I have a line on a few private abandoned farm sites that need a good once over, maybe we could get together and hunt 'em "quick".
CJ

Bendiggin

Jun 25, 2007
Hi Gang!!! Just discovered this forum. I have been hunting with a Whites MXT for two years now. I'm a resident of SD but winter in AZ and Southern CA and summer in the Pierz, Little Falls area. I've really enjoyed detecting and have done fairly well. Have three rings this year, two silver and one gold diamond ring that was about 4 inches down and appears to be old. Also lots of clad, toys and costom jewelery. It is nice to see other MN diggers here. Keep your coil on the soil!!
Ben

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
exanimo redux said:
I wonder if one could detect the water pond at the Mall of America's croc diner :)- what's it called? - :-\ Just don't have your detector in the crocs jaws when it closes. ;)

Funny you should mention the MOA, I used to work there and there were always bums taking the clad out of the Camp Snoopy river and ponds in the middle of the night (and bathing too, serious). We'd (Security) have to kick them out, but the funny thing was that we weren't allowed to make them put the money back!!! Ah, lots of fun!!! You should see how full their pockets were!! So full that their pants would sag!!!

Ryan1979 - St. Paul, MN

DFXDon

Aug 27, 2007
West St. Paul Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision V3i, GMT, and X-Terra 705, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???
Hi I'm Don from West St. Paul started tecting in early 50's but put it up for awhile started again three years back am using a DFX and getting back into the swing of things. If anyone is ever in the neighborhood give me jingle and we can set up some hunts.
DFXDon ::)

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8/Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:o
Hi guys and gals,

I'm Jerry D. from Little Canada. I've been detecting on and off for over 25 years, but never really have found a whole heck of a lot, probably due to the sporadic nature of my detecting.

I really enjoy detecting underwater. I have an older Sea Hunter and purchased a JW Fisher Pulse 8 last year. I've had some fun finds with the Sea Hunter in White Bear Lake, mostly coins and fishing tackle. I used the Pulse 8 in the surf and on shore last winter in Florida and found a lot of clad, and several toy cars, and misc. junk, but no real treasure. The beach I was working does not seem to produce a lot of jewelry for some reason.

I am surprised at how quickly clad and even silver and copper coins deteriorate in the salt water and the surf action. They are a real mess when you find them. I love the Pulse 8 though as it is very sensitive and easy to use.

The diving in White Bear Lake is mostly muck diving, where it seems you are basically diving blind, much like being in chocolate pudding....lol!!

Lots of myths abound about different things supposedly in WBL, but as of yet have not found any of them; i.e., a railroad engine, old cars, etc.

My buddy did find a nice Mercury 6 h.p. outboard in the muck on the So. end of the lake a couple of years ago. We got it out, he took it home, cleaned it up, and dried it out. It started on the first pull.

Always looking for detecting friends.

El_Capitan

Jul 26, 2007
Hey guys, I'm Chris. I live in Mahtomedi (White Bear area). Im currently a volunteer firefighter for MFD and a diver. I've recently been intrigued by shipwreck diving, and then in my new treasure hunting intrigue, found there is a ton of history here in MN. I've heard the stories of all the gangsters that hung around in my area, but now the stories of hidden stashes... wow... I'm too busy to devote a whole lot of time into this, but its fun to research. If anyone wants to get together for some research or hunting, let me know. I'll see what I can do to help. Maybe we could find a few of Ma Barker's stashes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread