Meet other MN Hunters

B

boojagirl

hey, I have been on here for a while but on the topics page I usualy only go to what is it, todays finds or general discussion, someone said to check out this group so I scanned down and found it, my name is Tonia and I live in Princeton, it is kind of half in Mille Lacs county and half in Sherburn County, I read where most of you are from and the closest is probably big lake, my girls sitter lives there, melnatcat came over and detected with me a few weeks ago, it was fun to have someone to talk to instead of just myself :) I have lived here all my life and have never known another md'er from here.

Marcia

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2007
Hello, My name is Marcia and I live near Glenwood, MN. My husband and I go out MD'ing with our XLT. We really havent found anything to brag about as of yet. We picked up this hobby to help recover from back surgeries.

It was exciting to find this Minnesota forum. I've always wondered if there were other MD'ers in the area.

This is my first post, but I've talked to many folks from this site in the chat room.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Booja, I met Melnatcat a couple of years ago in the metropolis :D of Lastrup (pop. 99) where she lives. Marcia, I have relatives in Glenwood and surrounding areas(Starbuck, Terrace) and I usually hit the Minnewaska beaches at Glenwood and Starbuck once a year. I got 27 coins including 13 qtrs at the Glenwood beach the week after Waterama. I also found my 1st Mercury dime about 4 years ago by the volleyball court. I found a few coins in the park near the Lakeside Inn, but not as many as I would expect, but I have run into MD'ers both there and at the Pope Co Fairgrounds.

CaptainMorgan

Mar 4, 2007
Western Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Titan 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy,
I actually live in Wisconsin but because I grew up in MN(22 years) and am only 15 miles from the border, I'm thinking it would be easier to find MD'rs in Minnesota. Most posts I read on the Wisconsin site have them located farther east. Plus, though I've lived my life half the time across the "Cheese Curtain" they haven't corrupted me too bad. ;D
My name is Jim and I'm in New Richmond.
I kid myself about being the "King of Pop Tops" which irks some because they say I haven't detected long enough but it actually refers to my multiple containers of collection boxes for the Ronald McDonald house, I monitor. I once filled a 55 gallon trash bag with them.
Right now I'm down to only 3 locations as many businesses took it upon themselves to do this donation themselves. I once had as many as 13 I would assist in the collection of pop tops.

Marcia

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2007
Pleased to meet you DFXDude, I live just a few miles north of Terrace. On an old farm, where its been told to me that our barn was built the same year as the Terrace Mill.

No wonder that beach is so squeaky clean.. LOL I finally talked my hubby into checking it out a few weeks ago... verrrrry quiet in there.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marcia:
I hit the beach at the other end of Minnewaska at Starbuck today. Only did about half the beach closest to the concession stand. Just 17 clad coins (5 Q, 2D, 1 N, 9 P) and a Lego man. Real clean beach and only came across a couple of pull tabs and a couple of twist caps. FYI............ Wish I had a water machine. Real clear water and pretty shallow out quite a ways.
They've pulled in all the docks and diving boards for the winter.

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY all , my name is tom and i live in sauk center ,mn. I have been mding for the past 6 years and wow , i love it. Best find to date a coin cache worth $750.00. Was fun took me 1 1/2 years to get it all, but woohoo i would do it all again. email me to chat or if ya wanna go on a hunt let me know. i reserve saturday mornings/day for mding. i will also travel. i see staci is close when she is in alexandria, hit me up i have a few nice sites up that way. also some nice river hunt spots. i will email the cache story or if enough are intrested i will post it here. my email is [email protected]. LET ME KNOW, HAVE FUN MDING IS GREAT.

Ahkin

Oct 15, 2007
Oakdale, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Quickdraw II
Hi!

I'm in Oakdale, Minnesota (just east of St. Paul). I just picked up a Quickdraw II, and am brand new to the hobby.

It seems like the biggest learning curve is knowing where I can hunt.. seems like there's no good rule of thumb, and that it varies by state (and even county and city). So, for now, I'll try my hand at city parks, and maybe look into joining a club or hanging out with some more experienced folks until I learn the ropes.

That said, I'm pretty excited. I had always looked at people who were MD'ing with interest, with a mental note to explore that hobby someday. And well, here I am.

-Bill

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Hi Bill,
Good to hear from you. I see we got your first post here!

It sounds like you are on the right track for learning more about Dirt fishing. ;D
I know a few people that belong to a good local club. If you hadn't found them yet check them out at: http://gsthmn.tripod.com/index.html

I hope to see some of your finds.

-Todd

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wetgreenie said:
Hi Bill,
Good to hear from you. I see we got your first post here!

It sounds like you are on the right track for learning more about Dirt fishing. ;D
I know a few people that belong to a good local club. If you hadn't found them yet check them out at: http://gsthmn.tripod.com/index.html

I hope to see some of your finds.

-Todd

Their next meeting is tomorrow (10-16)

Ahkin

Oct 15, 2007
Oakdale, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Quickdraw II
Thanks for the tip on the local club! Seems like an active club, and they're not too far away. I'll definitely show up for a meeting (if not tomorrow, then perhaps the next one).

I did make it out today to the lake elmo park reserve. Hit the beach out there. My very first find was a blown car fuse on a volleyball court :P Not the diamond ring I was so sure was down there, but I was happy I was able to at least pinpoint the thing. All in all, I found a quarter, a dime, and a penny. And lots of trash. Not exactly a profitable outing, but I got some good experience, and had a lot of fun.

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ahkin said:
All in all, I found a quarter, a dime, and a penny. And lots of trash. Not exactly a profitable outing, but I got some good experience, and had a lot of fun.

When in doubt, think of the trash you removed as a public service. think of all the potential fingers, toes and lawnmower blades you may have saved!

It works for a little while, then it's back to: Dang I wish I could find something cool!
;) :D ;D

El_Capitan

Jul 26, 2007
Hey Matt, (medelman), you are correct about the amusment park. It actually sat in Mahtomedi (the east side of the lake). Mahtomedi / Willernie is also known to have been the hideouts of several famous gangsters as they stayed away from the center of what we now know as the metro area. There should be lots of good stuff around the lake entrances (bellare, manitou, ramsey). Let me know if you go out and find anything. Chris,

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
Hello all! I am 'oldhippiecoinhntr' , live near Wilton Minn in Northern Mn. I just started metal detecting June of this year. A very close friend of mine, named Clarence Bertram got me started. I actually had a interest in detecting for more that 10 years. I read about it a lot, and had magazines, and books, but never bought a machine. Went with Clarence early June, and got real seriuos and bought a Garretts GTX 1000 and have been going seriously ever since. Just wish I ad got started years ago. How many times have you all said or heard this. When my wife and I got married 35 years ago, we both visited hundreds of old homesteads, just looking for old bottles and antiques. But didnt think of the detecting then. But havent forgotten those old sites, and while many are gone (progress) many are still there, some long forgotten except by me, so they are prime areas for me.

Two subjects I want to cover more. First, I regrett to inform you all of sad news. My friend Clarence Bertram, who has posted here, and some of you knew, was trajicly killed in a motorcycle accident on Sept 1 2007.We had been out together hunting a new site the eve before. I shall miss him greatly, as will all his friends.

Second, getting back to history. When I was in 5th and 6th grade, I lived in a little town of Iona. I worked for a lady there in her garden. One day digging in the garden, I found a 1890's half dollar, and though the exact details are somewhat lost to time, I do remember that if had stars around the edge, and a lady I may describe as a draped bust. I found a couple of more coins there, but dont remember what they were. I am convinced there were more there. But as a young kid, diggind for more did not interest me. Lady I worked for took and kept the old coins. I would love to pass the location to someone in the area, as they could look. I am not going to get there again. Cottenjim..........you reading this? If you are near there, contact me. I will give you info.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Oldhippie, I have heard on IONA if it is the little town north of Wilmont and SW of Slayton. My niece and husband built their retirement home at Wilmont and I stopped at a little park in IONA a couple of years ago and picked up a few coins before dark one night.
DFXdude / Renville, MN ( snowbirding in Tucson for the winter)

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
DFXDUDE

Yes, Iona that is sw of Slayton. When my family lived there in early 1960's, town may have had several hundred people. There was a catholic school and church there, and I remember that the catholic school was only school there. Shows the strength of the catholic faith in those days in dominateing an area. Not haveing been there since 1970 town may be near dead now. In 1970 the town had considerably died down. Lots of closed houses, think school was even closed. Must really be a ghost town now.

In 1970 when I visited there while in tech school, I lost my class ring while on a hay ride, after partying. Wish I had it back. When I realized it was gone the next day, I lost all hope that it would or could be found. Should have started searching long ago. Thing is, I dont know if it fell off in field, or in town on street? If in field, it may be lost to some future century. But it may already have been found, and in someones jewelry drawer? I have advertised on this site, a $100.00 reward for it. While I dont think I will ever have to pay, I cant tell you how much I wish I could find it...........As I am getting older, I am getting more nostalgic about my own life and history. Small things mean a lot more, like friends, family, family history, local history. I no longer care about the struggle for social success or the chase for material access. I love hunting with my detector, not for what I find so much, though it can be exciting. But just love the mystery of whats in the ground, and the question behind how it got there. Love the research in finding a good site to hunt, and when I find something, anything, the satisfaction from knowing my research was successfull. Also love the fun of hunting with another detectorist. Going with a buddy is great way to enjoy time with friends, and appreciate another human. God, hope I havent bored you all.

Should close. I love the chance to share my thoughts and excitement about this hobby with you all. Thanks for reading this. One more thing...........anyone want to hunt Iona garden I mentioned, contact me here.

cheato

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2005
Hi to all. Well you can't get more new than me. :-) I just received an Ace 250 for my birthday and won't be able to get out until the snow is gone. My current location is Western Wisconsin - not too far from Woodbury. But before someone jumps on me for being a Cheesehead or a Slacker Backer, you must know that I was born and raised in the Great State of Minnesota. :-)

I am looking forward to swinging a coil over at least 3 homesteads that are over 150 years old and have been in the family for generations. The bad part is we are all pretty simple folk of average means. I am pretty sure that I am not going to discover any caches. All in all, should be pretty fun.

Take care!

Cheato :-)

exoutsider

Mar 4, 2008
T.R.F. Mn.
Hi,I'm Rick, I live in Thief River Falls. I have been a lurker for about a year.I'm getting back into some MDing this spring if the winter would ever end. ???

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Hi Rick, wow a first post even... I hope you have some good luck up there.
Now may be a good time to research and see if there was any old trading posts in your area.
I did run across a hint of a possible "ghost town"

GT Rosewood on Soo RR, 7 ½ miles NW Thief River Falls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread