Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all I'm new to this forum but I've been active on others, found this one and figured it would help with the winter blues. my name is Matt and I've been detecting for almost a year and a member of the gopher state treasure hunters and a member of the twin cities gpaa.

Matt, I replied in another thread that you posted in... Welcome and unlike the Gopher State message board, people actually post here.. That has got to be the lamest place I've ever posted. Everyone is self absorbed and won't post in anyone else's threads. Any way, glad to see you around these parts

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah this place is cool I think your the only one that wrote on my gold post on gopher....lol...this place is loaded!!!!!:thumbsup:

Jan 14, 2013
Over there, Somewhere. K-town
Detector(s) used
Electrons. A lot of them.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

My name is Ty. I'll be attending the university in Mankato for the next four years to pursue a degree in Engineering. Some of my hobbies include: hockey, kayaking, fishing, & anything electronic related. I come from a small town called New Ulm. Growing up in such a small community, it was always difficult to find answers to my questions, therefore I grew up on forums & am a HUGE DIY'er. I'm almost completed w/ my first breadboard metal detector & I'm here for an understanding, ...& maybe get out a few times:)

speter42

Jan 22, 2013
St Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Leaning toward A Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Don, I'm new here and couldn't help to notice where you live (WSP). I'm on the West Side...not far from you.
I'm also in the market for an AT Pro,... for a beginer, would it be a wise decision to make?

motodude

Greenie
Apr 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah this place is cool I think your the only one that wrote on my gold post on gopher....lol...this place is loaded!!!!!:thumbsup:

Matt,

I'm on gopher and just joined the gold facebook page too. Have you tried any of the rivers or has it been mostly creeks where you've prospected?

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive tried the mississippi by fort snelling....nothing...sunrise river.....inconclusive bad spot...
Saint croix bellow afton....lots of black sand no gold
Plum creek....flour gold
Minnehaha....bad spot but supposed to be gold there
Battle creek.....bad spot but someone reported gold
9 mile creek.....gold
More to be explored
So I guess the answer is I have yet to find gold in any rivers
By the way welcome to the groups...

motodude

Greenie
Apr 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive tried the mississippi by fort snelling....nothing...sunrise river.....inconclusive bad spot...
Saint croix bellow afton....lots of black sand no gold
Plum creek....flour gold
Minnehaha....bad spot but supposed to be gold there
Battle creek.....bad spot but someone reported gold
9 mile creek.....gold
More to be explored
So I guess the answer is I have yet to find gold in any rivers
By the way welcome to the groups...

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info and reply. A year or so ago I did a lot of reading about Gold in Minnesota, because I was interested in prospecting, and after researching I concluded there really wasn't any. I was amazed when I read you were finding some. Goes to show sometimes its better to get out and see for yourself than read about it!

If you're every up for someone going with you sometime and helping out I'd love to give it a try and learn how its done. I'm up by Anoka county. We could also try the river behind my house.

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since your in anoka I would guess you mean the rum river...if so ive heard of people find gold in there too.. I know of a few people up in elk river that prospects and there is the gpaa twin cities chapter that meets in bayport once a month. Just keep an eye out on the facebook page.

Last edited:

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Tom and I am originally from Eagan. I live in Iowa now but I come up to Apple valley / Burnsville / Farmington area every few months because my mother and my wifes family live up there. I would love to get out and do something, there are not any people in my area interested in detecting or prospecting.

george goodew

May 3, 2013
owatonna mn
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti1500 standard coil and 4.5 sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all I'm George in Owatonna mn. Its been a long winter but the 18 inches of snow is gone yay.
heading out this weekend to do a little swinging.I live a block from the county fair grounds.
If any one in south central or south eastern Mn. need a partner let me know I swing a Garrett GTI 1500.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My name is Tom and I am originally from Eagan. I live in Iowa now but I come up to Apple valley / Burnsville / Farmington area every few months because my mother and my wifes family live up there. I would love to get out and do something, there are not any people in my area interested in detecting or prospecting.

If you ever make it up to Farmington, let me know. Gotta couple good spots up here

lovemygarrett

Jun 1, 2013
Brainerd, MN.
Detector(s) used
ATPro by Garrett with a DD coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi. I just moved here from Michigan. Had a terrific partner in Michigan, but moved to Minnesota last week to be closer to family. I've had my detector (Garrett ATPro)for a little over a year, but it was so hot it was difficult to get out with it last summer. I'm retired and learned a lot from my wonderful partner/teacher last year and am anxious to see what MN. has to offer a newbie. I'm in the Brainerd area. I prefer coins over relics. Love it when I pull out a wheatie!

Last edited:

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
L M Garrett, I'm in the St Cloud area and know plenty of good places to detect around here. We're just 60 miles apart, so if you know of any good places I'll shoot up there to detect and if you wish to come here, I'll show you around. I prefer coins also and I am also retired. I've been detectig for a long time.

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mn and Fargo Nd dirt fishing hunters... I moved to Hawley Mn from MD looking for someone to Metal Detect with. All I found out here is 1 Indian head and a handful of Wheaties please help. [email protected]

vne5

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, will be home to Minneapolis in a couple weeks for a month. I currently live and work in Beijing China, but am from Blaine, Minnesota. I have lived in S.Florida and have done tons of beach detecting there. Would love to find a hunting partner that maybe knows the Minnesota ground a bit better than I do. Driving a little distance is no problem, so i'm up for within 150 miles or so of Minneapolis. Thanks and I can't wait to meet a few of you!... Michael

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread