Meet other MN Hunters

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I'm Todd, and live in Big Lake.
I use a Tesoro silver U Max and have been hunting for about two years.

I still consider myself as new to this game but hope to someday hunt with a Pro.
I'd like to see if I cant pick up some better technique on how to "Probe and Pop" a coin
with minimal damage to the soil and the target.

I'm still looking for my first great find.

And you?

Attachments

• DSC00436.JPG
    DSC00436.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 3,840

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm Butch from Renville, MN. I've been metal detecting since May 6, 2002. I was living in Texas at the time and detected for 2 years until relocating to Minnesota in April 2004. I am running a White's DFX (I have 2 of them) using standard 9.5" coil, Bigfoot 18" coil, Eclipse 5.3 Coil, and Hotfoot 9" coil. My primary MD website is for DFX owners at: www.dfxonly.com and this site is secondary one.
I have a couple of pages on my website that have some pictures of my finds.
www.dirtfisherman.com

Last edited:

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys!
Greenie, I've talked to you a few times. I see you're going to S.D. If you get a chance, get off the interstate and check out some of the towns along the way. Look for construction in some of the older towns. Maybe you'll find a nice Dakota Territory token.
Keep us posted!

Butch, You live close to Benson. They were supposted to tear up main street this year. Have you checked this out? It's a little too far for me to get to in one day.

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm Staci from Fargo ND. I know, I know....it isn't MN, but I'm actually from Starbuck MN which is by Alexandria. I used to have a detector a few years ago and just got back into it. Send me a message if you're going to be up here...it's always more fun to have a buddy to hunt with!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Staci,
Welcome to the Forum.
If you are looking for someone to detect with, there is a metal detecting club in Fargo. Look in the "Clubs" section on this forum. I think there is one in Jamestown too. The club President is also a member of our club in Rochester, MN.
I have heard a lot of good things about the Garrett Ace 250. There are still a lot of good finds to be made out there.
HH

Bruce.
Rochester, MN

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Hi All ( even those Dakotans lurking-LOL ;D)
I've conversed with Todd & Bruce and its been a pleasure. Lots to learn!!
I live in the Duluth area and bought My first detector in 2000- -cheaper BH. Our Twin girls were 2yrs old at the time so I didn't have much time to hunt and didn't really know proper techniques. Didn't find this forum till last summer, so I did some lurking here till this spring when I joined.
My kids, who are now 8 yrs, seen My unused detector and inquired about using it in our recently tilled garden. So We played with it and found nails,tin and other stuff . Then when i was at work, My wife buried some coins there,although quite deep (6-8"). Needless to say My cheap detector only found a few, till it beeped and We dug up a very dirty corroded coin. Hey- thats not one She buried!! Turned out to be a 1902 Indian Head!
So skill?? or more than likely luck got Me very interested in detecting. So I then bought a discovery 3300 on Ebay- -didn't want to spend TOO much if the hobby didn't work out or interest wane.
Well our House was built in 1898, used to be a farm,old torn down barn (foundation still there with weeds past My head) so relic finds and coins started piping out of the ground with the 3300. First silver was a 1942 Merc dime and soon after I found the coin on My profile (avatar) 1881-O Morgan dollar and in the same hole an 1898 Barber dime. I've also found many Wheaties, Jefferson nickels and newer clad! Hooked like a fish I am!! LOL ;D
Hardly any convincing to buy a new detector from Kellyco- -Garrett 2500 and pin pointer. The pin pointer is a must- -have redug holes that I had good tone with the 3300 and found lead bullets!!
I'll try and post pictures of some Relics I've dug here- its been target rich with what most people call junk. I call it history. Spoons ,knives,horseshoes,railroad spikes,toy cars,everything from daily life in the last 100 yrs.
With the 12" pro coil on the Garrett I'm getting hits very deep,but weather has been HOT! Yes ,even in Duluth We have had a very hot summer.
Long post, but in closing ,thanks to all the replies on every post I've done and especially for the Knowledge so Freely handed out!! THers don't keep TOO many secrets- LOL- although some they probably should!!!
Tim

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I have corresponded with each of you at one time or another I might as well share a little background on myself.
I live in Rochester and work at that large medical center we have here, but that's enough about work.
I got into metal detecting in 1974. Back then there were only a couple others in this area who were detecting. Many of the locations that I got to hunt were virgin. My favorite type of detecting is for old coins, so when the public areas got to be picked over, I started to do research on little known places where people gathered such as old picnic grounds, fairground sites, ghost towns, old rural school houses, and stage coach stops. One of my favorite sites was at a small lake in south central Minnesota where there used to be a lot of social gatherings. They stooped using this area prior to WW II.
Its now in a farmers pasture and is full of mature oak trees. I have found many coins there, mostly from the teens and twenties, but also a lot of 1800's coins.
I also found the original Freeborn county fairgrounds circa. 1878 to 1893. Even the Historical Society didn't know of it's existence.
I was the founder and first president of the club here which was started in 1980. We have been, and are still sponsored by the local Park and Rec. dept. Currently I serve as the club VP.
My best detecting site by far was back in 1990 when the main road (hwy 52) through the town of Chatfield was tore up. They were doing complete replacement of the downtown main street all the way through town. Back in the 1850's this town was the Land Office for all the new settlements in Southeast Minnesota, so there was a lot of early activity. As I recall I got close to 100 coins from there, the newest one being 1893.
After that experience, construction and demolition projects are my favorite places to detect.

pizzaman55792

Jun 16, 2006
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202, ace 250
hi all,
My name is Jay and i live in Gilbert MN. Ive been using a bounty hunter 202 since may.
well my first time out into my back yard first target 1955 rosie, gee i thought this is easy, then reality sets in. I have found a few wheats a couple of rings some clad and lots of change but nothing too exciting. Im currently working on finding a couple of abandoned town sites. any how thats a little about me happy hunting and good luck

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Pizzaman, welcome to the Mn forum and Tnet. I think you've had a good start.
The town site research sounds interesting. Keep Us posted on your finds.
Good luck & HH

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pizzaman, I have a complete set of the United States Treasure Atlas that was published about 20 years ago which lists Ghosts Towns (GT) and near Ghost Towns ( NGT) by county within each state. St. Louis County has a listing of 50 ghost towns accoriding to this reference and gives the location of each. I can shoot you a list if you are interested. Many of them are on RR lines, that may not be in service anymore. I haven't checked my Delorme Street Atlas to see how many of the 50 are not shown yet.

Butch / Renville, MN aka DFXDude

Got me a nice HUMMER today..................LOL...........................................at a volleyball court in Brownton, MN. Also picked up 65 coins...........33 of them quarters at Brownton and city park in Victoria, all clad, but it nudged me over $200.00 for the year.

Attachments

• Hummer1.jpg
    Hummer1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,737
  • Hummer2.jpg
    Hummer2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,758

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Butch (DfxDude)
Nice Hummer and Wow you find lots of Coin!! Research and time well spent I imagine!!
Very good!!
Ive looked on the Internet for Maps of locations for old schools, Town halls,etc. Do you know of any good online sites? Ghost towns in St Louis County? I never thought about that. Seems like a Western phenomonon not MN!
I drive past several buildings at towns I thought were old Train Depots I've thought of MDing. Know several old Railroaders who know these and was informed their actually track houses- -used by maintenance people. They figured lots of scrap iron at these locations. Might still give a try sometime.
Thanks for sharing your finds-- HH
Tim

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BK, I am about an hour away from Benson, so I only get thru there about once a year. Didn't notice any street repairs being done when I was there about a month ago, maybe they were completed. I'm going to try and hook up with Goose from Sartell in a couple of weeks, as he said there is a lot of construction projects going on in the St. Cloud area. He may be joining the forum when he gets back from vacation in Illinois.
I assume you are associated with the Zumbro Valley Treasure Hunters. I have "old" ties to Rochester with IBM , that I worked at for 34 years. Spent time training there in late 60's. I admire the goodies you have posted from time to time. I'm still looking for a Barber quarter/dime or V-nickel. Only have 1 Indian to date, an 1883 in bad condition. But the milestones will come with persistence. Here in the midwest, we aren't quite as overwhelmed with older coins like those on the East Coast, so we just have to deal with it. Those sidewalk tearups sound like one of the best candidates.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am Baron Von De Kalb

i just graduated from F.U. (inside joke to GREENIE) ::)

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! all you MN hunters!

I'm Shirl, and I live in Lastrup (Population 99, including the chickens...WOOOHOOO!) I started detecting in May 2004 with a First Texas Titan 3000xd. My first finds were in our yard, house built in 1917. Two silver quarters...1898, and 1924, 7 to 8 inches deep! Exciting! Also found 1903,1904 IH's in the yard. And of course a few wheaties & lots of trash!

BTW, 'hey' to Butch & Wetgreenie! Met Butch, and talked to Greenie.

Would love to get together with other MN hunters. Of course, we all know reality is setting in guys...the leaves are starting to turn..hahah!

I'm still learning the trade, and am in need of lessons from other good MN hunters! Hey, Butch, put together a hunt for us! Pick out a nice spot & let's go! Would love to hunt a 'ghost town'.

Have fun hunting!

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Hello to Baron ( long is the name--LOL)
We all need more info on ya!! otherwise I'll talk to Greenie and get the real scoop!! ;D
Just kidding of course- thanks for posting!
Also a big Welcome to Shirl from Lastrup (Pierz, Buckman area) In My younger days spent many lost nites at rural bars- -wish i could remember the names (of the bars... ;))
Now I'm older,wiser, Married and a Father. Needed a hobby- this is one of them. Also Ham Radio, but thats another forum !
Shirl , I'm from Little Falls originally, been in Duluth about 25 yrs-- ages Me a bit don't it?? Some of My best finds have been in My own yard ( 7 Acres) too. Starting to explore the outside world now!! ;D
Post pics of your finds so We can all enjoy!!
HH

OP
OP
Wetgreenie

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Baron Von De Kalb said:
I am Baron Von De Kalb
i just graduated from F.U. (inside joke to GREENIE) ::)

Good one!

he refers to a post in "what is it".
where someone had found a black triangular flag with the letter "F" on it and was wondering what it was.
someone mentions that it could be one of those university football flags.
De Kalb chimes in that it could stand for " F U "

Ya had to be there!

Attachments

• F.JPG
    F.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 2,839
  • F.JPG
    F.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 2,838
C

colmn

Hello All !

I'm Lonn "The Col." from Mankato area. New to this site. For the most part, I have been a prospector & rock collector going out to SD with my kids ofetn. Panned Alaska a few times. I have a MD, but don't take it out very often. Anyhoot . . .just thought I'd intro myself to all others from MN and say it's great to meet you all !

Have a jolly 1 !

Col. Lonn

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lonn,
I think I know you. Didn't you attend the coin hunt in Stevens Point, WI. a couple years ago?
Welcome to the forum!

C

colmn

Nope, must be a different Lonn. Never been to Stevens Point. I heard there is some interesting places out that way to hunt & explore.

synapse

Oct 3, 2006
New England
Hello - I'm Matt in Duluth. I'm completely new at this, so i'm totally open to any advice that you could offer. I'm currently in the process of turning my backyard into a crater field, and as soon as i'm reasonably confident that i can tell the difference between a can and a coin, i'll be expanding my search area. Any suggestions on where i might start? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions