Lake Superior shores

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
Any information on hunting the shores of Lake Superior.

I've always been interested in Minnesota shipwrecks but don't dive, The MNHS talk of two beach wrecks, both are protected, but what about other beaches, can we look around? I've always wondered what other "stuff" might be found that might have washed up and now buryed...

(below) U.S.S. Essex, I plan to visit the site, but WILL respect the "No Touch".
USSessex.jpg

neil

C

colmn

I'd contact the property owner, park ranger or local government in that area for their rules. The MN DNR site has info on detecting in / on their park soil. Private land would need the go-ahead from the property owner. Local / county rules may apply to un-owned land.

OP
OP
wolfpaw518

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
oh, i've got that part down...I was just wondering if anyone had already researched anything up there or was interested in it...

also, I did'nt know that the MN DNR had a metal detecting area, I don't know how I missed that one...thanks colmn, ;D I'm headed there now.

neil

C

colmn

wolfpaw518 said:
also, I did'nt know that the MN DNR had a metal detecting area, I don't know how I missed that one...thanks colmn, ;D I'm headed there now.

neil

Hi Neil,

Haven't read it for awhile, but I think the DNR does not aloow MDing. I just remember some blurbage on thier site about it. IF correct, it was listed on a pdf on their site.

OP
OP
wolfpaw518

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
yea...that site is getting worse and worse, I put Metal Detecting in there search box and got 561 results, only one mentioned MDing, now I remember why I never go there...lol. ;D
Hey! I found the permits if anyone wants to irrigate there land with more than a million gallons of water a year though... ;)

neil

C

colmn

I went there also and the pdf on digging into mn soils has been changed / updated since I last read it "year + ago". I got the same results on entering the MDing in the search box.

OP
OP
wolfpaw518

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
Well. I'm probably going to regret it, but I sent an email to the DNR for an official decision on Metal Detecting MN-DNR lands, I've POLITELY asked for verse and chapter, not just the simple "NO", (if'n ya know what I mean). Who knows, they just might surprise us... lol.

I'll let you know what the response is when I get an answer.

neil

OP
OP
wolfpaw518

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
Got an answer... ;D

I received an OFFICIAL reply from MN DNR. In short, there is no law or reg that pertains DIRECTLY to "recreational metal detecting",[except for State Parks] however here are many laws in areas such as digging, recovery etc. that prevent it.

In general, the only places you can search and recover items is in a few assorted recreational areas as approved by the local manager (I'm thinking coins and rings on some swimming beaches). [sigh!] Although I specifically stated "Recreational use" a majority of his message still dealt with large scale or official operations. :P

SO, nuthin new.... ;)

neil

C

colmn

Sounds like a typical statment offered by a governing body. Leave ya guessing.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Just to let you all know, mding on DNR land is a no no. I'm a former employee of the DNR, don't risk it, if caught they can confiscate your md, your car, any accessories for mding and then, still charge you with a felony for entering a protected reserve.

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
Just to bring everyone up to date on this, the site has been "protected" by the Army Corps of Engineers by burying the entire thing under tons of dirt. I'm assuming the picture was fairly old because a few years ago the Corps, in an attempt to curtail beach erosion, dumped tons of dredge spoils on the beach, completely altering the shoreline and burying what was left of the wreck. Prior to the project, I had visited the wreck, and you could see the copper spikes that still held pieces of the hull together. They were clearly visible because someone had cut the tops off all of them to glean the copper, so everything above the level of the timbers was gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread