Minnesota locations--Where are you located?????

newtector

Apr 19, 2014
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I'm in eagan and a stay at home dad, I'm new to detecting but wouldn't mind partaking in a club

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a bunch of us in the area. Alot of us on the facebook group mn metal detecting. If you have nothing to do on march 14th come check this out....

ForumRunner_20150224_093806.png

Sam16

Greenie
Aug 15, 2013
Fargo, ND
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Fargo, ND, but I do the bulk of my snorkeling in the Detroit Lakes region and do a little detecting, but only have in Moorhead.

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm near Long Lake, west of Wayzata (so many other long lakes...)

Does anyone know where Minnesota statutes are posted for state parks, and possible regional parks etc? I'd like to know areas to avoid.

Thanks!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Avoid state parks, think the fine is at least $700. Avoid all state-owned property, heard years ago the penalty was $500 for detecting in a state forest. Detecting not allowed in Hennepin Co Parks, Dakota Co Parks, Scott Co Parks. Many are called Park Preserves or Reserves. Nature preserves & wildlife management areas (usually state) are off limits. The oldest forbidden area is 1958 Baker Park Preserve, so at least we don't lose out on much silver.

Ramsey Co Parks, I don't know if they fine people or just ask them to leave if they don't have a permit. But last I heard, the permits were free. Ramsey County Park system dates back to 1929. If interested, check their website. Anoka Co Parks don't know rules, but system just started early '60s. They have an old fairgrounds, but don't allowing detecting last I heard.

I'm not aware of problems with any city-owned parks, but if not allowed, there would be signs &/or they'd ask people to leave. Don't call any city to ask if detecting is allowed, as they might read from an old book laws about property damage that say no holes or no digging, or no removing anything, but generally these aren't enforced, as long as there is no damage serious enough to require repair. If you're concerned about any city, just look on their website under parks & rec, & you can also read the city code. Asking a desk-bound bureaucrat may result in a no, even though they don't kick people out. Best wishes, George (MN)

I'm near Long Lake, west of Wayzata (so many other long lakes...)

Does anyone know where Minnesota statutes are posted for state parks, and possible regional parks etc? I'd like to know areas to avoid.

Thanks!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I'm in Apple Valley. Don't drive but if anyone wants to take me somewhere, I'll help pay gas & have a list of places that could be good. I researched the oldest Burnsville subdivisions, going back to 1955, most have park with playground & some have a ball field.
Circa 2010, we had about 15 people on here from NW Dakota Co. I have many detectors, but I need people to pull me into the hobby more. Trouble is I don't drive because of health problems, don't feel comfortable over 75 degrees & still having trouble getting up early. I'm 63 & on nasty meds. Best wishes, George (MN)

I'm from Burnsville! Would love to connect with anyone in the area.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Does Albert Lea still allow detecting? Was vague but seemingly discouraging on their website. Detected there with my now deceased
dad back in late '70s. Seemed pretty well worked over in parks, but our detectors at the time were limited to about 3 inches!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Another George here. I detected several Owatonna parks back in late '70s with my now deceased dad. Our detectors were limited to about 3" so found nothing better than modern coins & wheat cents. That 1877 Mineral Springs Park must still be holding some goodies. If you ever get up this way, I'm always looking for people to detect with. HH, George (MN) NW Dakota co (Apple Valley)

Owatonna mn

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Howdy neighbor! Still detecting? There are lots of new under $300 detectors now that will greatly beat the depth of a GTA 350. If you ever want to detect coins with me in some parks or schoolyards or wherever, I would want & might be able to. Problems I don't drive, 63 y/o on nasty meds & can't seem to get up early but might try & can't tolerate over 75 degrees. Best wishes, George in Apple Valley.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Hope you got your drivers license back. I attended kindergarten in Brooklyn Center in a school that's been torn down. It was across street from Northport Elem & Park (1956). I don't drive permanently but always hoping someone might take me somewhere, share gas expense & have research on possibly interesting places. HH, George (MN)

Brooklyn Center here! (Minneapolis). Someone give me a shout if they ever want someone to beep around with!

A recent dumb driving decision has left me without a license for a year >.< STUPID of me!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If you're ever willing to come down this way, I'm wanting to detect with others. Problems are I don't drive, have trouble getting up early & can't stand temps over 75 (am on nasty meds that say avoid direct contact with sunlight). On positive side, I would help pay for gas & have some ideas on possibly interesting places to detect. George (MN) (Apple Valley)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If you were somehow up to S metro, I'm always looking to detect with others. I detected once with someone from Mankato who had a Minelab Explorer, think his name Mark Peterson(?). We detected an old park surrounded by new houses. He got an Indian Head penny & Barber Dime, I got a bunch of clad. They might destroy the Civil War vintage 15ac fairgrounds in Garden City. Some Liberty Seated coins have come out of Mankato's Highland Park & Sibley Park. I thing Washington Park would be tempting assuming it's not off limits as a historical site. Best wishes, George (MN) (Apple Valley)

Mankato here! Looking to hunt with others or maybe start a club!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread