Minnesota locations--Where are you located?????

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Hello from another George! My now deceased dad & I detected your 1855 Central Park many times in the late '70s. Many of my best finds came from there, including 1865 2c piece 4" deep (VF bur corroded, sold for $1), & 1868-S AF Liberty Seared Half (think I sold it for $15). It was 6" deep. Best wishes GeorgeMN from George (MN)

Faribault... Just waiting for the snow to melt.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
My now deceased dad & I detected there late '70s, don't think we found much but Central Park must go back to 1800s. Probably requires a better detector to get those 1st coins lost. Detectors we used then were limited to about 3". Best wishes, George (MN)

North Branch.
Waiting for the ground to thaw...

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Avoid state parks, think the fine is at least $700. Avoid all state-owned property, heard years ago the penalty was $500 for detecting in a state forest. Detecting not allowed in Hennepin Co Parks, Dakota Co Parks, Scott Co Parks. Many are called Park Preserves or Reserves. Nature preserves & wildlife management areas (usually state) are off limits. The oldest forbidden area is 1958 Baker Park Preserve, so at least we don't lose out on much silver.

Ramsey Co Parks, I don't know if they fine people or just ask them to leave if they don't have a permit. But last I heard, the permits were free. Ramsey County Park system dates back to 1929. If interested, check their website. Anoka Co Parks don't know rules, but system just started early '60s. They have an old fairgrounds, but don't allowing detecting last I heard.

I'm not aware of problems with any city-owned parks, but if not allowed, there would be signs &/or they'd ask people to leave. Don't call any city to ask if detecting is allowed, as they might read from an old book laws about property damage that say no holes or no digging, or no removing anything, but generally these aren't enforced, as long as there is no damage serious enough to require repair. If you're concerned about any city, just look on their website under parks & rec, & you can also read the city code. Asking a desk-bound bureaucrat may result in a no, even though they don't kick people out. Best wishes, George (MN)

I was under the impression Dakota County Parks you could detect in? It has been a while, but I once contacted someone from Lebanon Hills and they said it was fine, just make sure to fill in my holes. Best of luck

Trevor

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not from there but would be a great place to detect. Lots of state parks though so stay outta there

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trevor, you are correct about the Dakota County Parks. I asked for permission also at Lebanon not more than a year ago and they said the same to me.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trevor, you are correct about the Dakota County Parks. I asked for permission also at Lebanon not more than a year ago and they said the same to me.

Yea I thought so. Had any luck out there? I'm just south of there & have a few places I wouldn't mind checking out this fall.

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive tried multiple spots, and each one is just as disappointing as the last. Some of the trashiest sites ive ever dug. The majority of them have evidence of being trashed by the owners before they left so ive pretty much been physically sifting through trash. There HAS to be some good stuff there but so far ive got nothing to show for it. Doesn't mean I wont keep trying though :laughing7:

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea I'm thinking of going and hitting up a spot or two tomorrow at Lebanon. Little nervous, i was out last monday and got into some poison oak. Realized that I was in it alittle too late. A week later i'm still itchy & miserable l, thats what I get for wearing short sleeves I Suppose.
I also had the opportunity to hunt Castle Rock, which has history dating back to the 1800s. It was horrible!! Gun shell after gunshell after beer can. I found a tiny .22 shell at 8 inches though haha love my AT Pro. Need to go back in the Spring once I have a smaller coil. Did find a neat 3 ringer lead out there though. That was pretty cool.

toadspaghetti

Dec 19, 2014
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Stillwater sites were pretty disappointing. 3 wheats, some old brass relics, and a 38 special shell case.

Someone must have checked it before... very few targets and very few new coins.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woah, Castle Rock? Was it public or private land?

Private site. Took some finagling. They were suspicious that I wanted to hunt on the land, but I told them i only wanted to poke around a little. Also Sept-April is pretty much off limits due to the owners & family hunting. I told them the last thing I needed was to be mistaken for a deer haha
Will probably go back in the late spring, hopefully with a 5x8 or Nel Snake coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread