Albert Lea, MN detecting

goldringer5

Mar 5, 2007
Hello,
I'm Darrel, I've been detecting for about 4 years, and been reading this form for about that long. I'm from Albert Lea, MN in souther MN. Detecting has been good to me, I have found gold and silver rings, old US coins, jewelry and some relics. I swing a DFX with a standard coil. I ask a lot of people for permission to swing their yards, about 90% say go ahead. Love the form, and love the hobby.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Darrel: Welcome to the Net! You seem to have plenty of experience with the MD! Can we see some Pix of your finds? HH Joe

OldBillinUT

Feb 7, 2004
Howdy Darrel I know right Albert Lea is I used to go from KC MO to Minneapolis and back every week. Some where not too far from you along that route was the Chestnut Inn they had a huge trucker breakfast that was hard to beat. I can't remember what exit it was I took to get to it just too many years ago. Never will forget the winters making that trip though, it got pretty hairy sometimes through there don't ya know.

OP
OP
G

goldringer5

Mar 5, 2007
Thanks for the greetings fellas,
This week I'll take some pictures of some of my finds and post them. In January I had some nice finds while in Mexico.
Take care,

Darrel

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a guy from Albert Lea 2 years ago and we met halfway in New Ulm for some detecting. We both had DFX's and I remember he found an 1886 IH in nice condition in an older park in downtown New Ulm.(It was either Washington Park or was on Washington street). The only name I remember was Jamison and don't know if it was a 1st or last name. Between the two of us we picked up about 170 coins on the day. Havent seen any posts from him in over a year( I think he used to post of www.dfxonly.com ) so I don't know what happened to him.
Butch / Renville County

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
Hi Darrel, I'm just north of you in Faribault, maybe we can get a small group hunt going this spring ;D

neil

cheezinoot

Jun 11, 2006
Emmons,MN
HI darrel. I live in emmons and have been mding for 2 years and love the hobby. PM me and maybe we could get together for a hunt.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I'm in Mankato and would be interested in getting together with some "locals" to hunt sometimes. Drop me a line?

Daryl

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Daryl,
You're only about 50 miles west of me.
I've done a lot of research and detecting in and around Albert Lea. I located the site of the first Freeborn County Fairground. It's only about a mile west of town. It was only used for about 13 years (1878 to 1891). Last time I was there it was in a corn field. I obtained permission from the owner and detected there several times. The fairground was later moved to a site near Acadamy Park for a few years before moving to its present location. Many old coins were found in Central Park too. A friend found an 1877 Indianhead cent in Pioneer Park a number of years ago. There used to be a boat landing somewhere near the park. Might be a good spot to do a little water hunting.

Tabor-MN

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2014
Albert Lea MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to post on an old post. I recently bought my 10 year old son a metal detector and we are really excited to start finding some old coins and relics. I am going to purchase a detector for myself as well. I am trying to research some on Albert Lea to find some good places to go hunting and was curious as to where this old fairgrounds you posted about was. Any information on some good spots would be much appreciated.. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions