Bikeman

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2014
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to detecting. I guess I'd consider myself a more than slightly experienced newbie. I'm from the Rochester area and would love to hear from others in the area. I am the proud owner/operator of an AT Pro and have yet to experience its full capabilities.

I believe I may have a defective MD and I am looking to get together with someone in the area who has an AT Pro so I can compare audio signals and target id's on the same targets. Mine acts very erratic in several different ways and seems to have a mind of its own. Would certainly appreciate any input if anyone is interested in helpin out.

Thanks all

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried changing frequencies my buddy was having the same problem and that fixed it

OP
OP
Bikeman

Bikeman

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2014
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Matt. Yes I've changed frequencies, sensitivity, etc.. My main issue is in pro coin. Really, really choppy audio, have to move VERY slow for it to hit on a target other than iron, strong signal for a couple passes then nothing, sometimes only hits on pass one way but not not the other, battery indicator jumps all over even with fresh ones. All preceding are in pro coin only. Sometimes in pro coin I have none of the issues until ive been swinging for about ten minutes or so then the symptoms start, except for the choppy audio, that is always present in pro coin unless I swing real slow and I mean slow. Then I get some good ringers, but not always.

I can be in pro zero and pick up a target with clear stong audio then switch to pro coin and get nothing but clicks and pops.

The other issue I'm having(as if thats not enough) is my TID and Depth seems erratic.This is an issue I have in pro zero, possibly other modes but I usually run in the zero mode. Most of the time it seems accurate and I'll admit I have a lot of learning to do yet but for example, yesterday I rang(very clean signal) an 86 at 6-8 inches an pulled a pop tab at about 2-3. Happens all the time with different types of targets. I guess I'll have to start documenting on a note pad what, how deep, and what it rang up at the try to decipher if its a learning curve or actually an issue. Sometimes it's so frustrating, I feel my ATP should have no ID or depth indicators but instead have just a single message that pops up and says "dig here til you find something"

I've contacted the great team at Garrett and they sent me a new coil toward the end of last season. No difference. So now I'm trying to find someone with an ATP so I can compare performance and find out if it's operator error(which is definitely a strong possibility), or a faulty unit.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Thanks for your reply. Thanks for reading my ramble, and this is my first reply to a reply so I hope I did it right and it doesn't get lost on the interwebs.

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to tried doing a factory reset? I do mine everytime I change coils. Other wise it acts funny like the coils send different signals.

Chris W.

OP
OP
Bikeman

Bikeman

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2014
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to tried doing a factory reset? I do mine everytime I change coils. Other wise it acts funny like the coils send different signals.

Chris W.

Yeah, I've done that quite often. Doesn't seem to make a difference that I can tell.

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact garrett again they may replace the unit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread