Locations to hunt in Minnesota?

Jan 1, 2015
Minnesnowta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys new here! I have been mainly CRH for awhile and was thinking about getting in to "dirt fishing" as I love to find old relics. My question is where is the best place to find out info on what is allowable to hunt in Minnesota? city parks and etc? Just curious before I go all in like I always do.. Im in the cities if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
G S H, all city parks are legal.....state parks aren't. Your best bet is to ask neighbors to detect their property.....and remember, the older the house, the better the goodies. My favorite is to detect where a city is tearing up an old neighborhood for new water mains, curbs, streets, etc. About 95% of my detecting time is in the 'tear ups'. Last yr I detected around 1-1/2 miles (3 miles both sides) of a neighborhood tear up and did fairly well.....silver coins from the 1880s to the 1950s. This yr will be better because I go to the engineering department of a local city and ask what's on the agenda for 2015. They told me of another 1-1/2 mile tear up and of a 1 mile tear up next to a county's fairgrounds that started in 1912. There were Seated Liberty coins still in circulation in 1912. Due to the city's engineering dept. knowing me, they give me prints of the roads to be torn up, so I follow them....street by street.

OP
OP
G
Jan 1, 2015
Minnesnowta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State parks are a go, that's what I was looking for thanks for the answer! I work for a company that tears up a lot of roads so ill have to keep that in mind! Ever get chased away by the general contractors?

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Some of the contractor's workers know me and all of the city's inspectors (checking on progress daily) know me and sometimes ask to see what I find. It's funny that most of those guys never knew a Mercury dime existed (1916-1945) maybe due to that the last one was minted 70 yrs ago. IF the guys are working at one place, I make it a point to detect at least a block away. Neighborhood tear ups are always many blocks long, so I just stay away from the workers. I have never been told to leave in over 15 yrs. As for state parks? I thought they were off limits....I'll check on that.

toadspaghetti

Dec 19, 2014
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if detecting is allowed in St. Paul parks. I know they allow it in Mpls.

I was thinking of trying right downtown St. Paul in Mears Park. Is that kosher or will you get hauled away and fined?

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Give the city a call and ask them. But then again listen CAREFULLY how they answer your question. A few years ago I called the U S based Israel's customs office and asked if detecting was legal in Israel. I was told "No". Well I went to Israel with my detector packed among my clothing. Detecting in Israel was legal, so I got the wrong answer. (Yes, I found coins and an old crotal bell) Nother thing.....detect that park. If anyone (Park employee, cop) hassle you and says you can't, tell them you'll leave right away.....that would be enough for him. Also, be sure to cover your holes and make it look like there was no digging.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if detecting is allowed in St. Paul parks. I know they allow it in Mpls.

I was thinking of trying right downtown St. Paul in Mears Park. Is that kosher or will you get hauled away and fined?

Toad - There are no laws in Minnesota against metal detecting except State Parks and 3 rivers parks. Please don't call and ask as that only opens a can of worms - I know from experience.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you give me a specific park you are looking at?

OP
OP
G
Jan 1, 2015
Minnesnowta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like Lebanon hills reigional park or something like that? I've never even detected yet but that is closer to my house and would be a quick place to learn..

toadspaghetti

Dec 19, 2014
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies... I did call the MPLS parks. The lady said metal detecting was allowed but "excavating" wasn't.... Hmmm, I really wasn't thinking of bringing the backhoe in.... do they consider digging a plug excavating? I got really good at leaving no trace with my holes so they won't really be able to tell if I dug or not.

OP
OP
G
Jan 1, 2015
Minnesnowta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after a bit of looking, forgive my ignorance but is this a no no to MD in?? From a park website..
Section A - DestructionlDefacernent of Park PropertyISigns It shall be unlawfbl for any person to: 1. Intentionally deface, vandalize, tamper with or otherwise cause destruction to park property; or
2. Intentionally deface, destroy, cover, damage, tamper with or remove any placard, notice or sign, or parts thereof, whether permanent or temporary, posted or exhibited by the Parks Department.
Section B - Disturbance of Natural Resources It shall be unlawfbl, when in a County Park, for any person to: 1. Intentionally remove, alter, injure, or destroy any tree, plant, or other vegetation, soil, mineral or other natural resource;
2. Intentionally remove materials from, alter, or destroy an archeological site or resource, or site of scientific significance or interest;
3. Dig trenches, holes, or other excavations;
4. Allow a pet to act in violation of Section B, subdivision I, 2 or 3;
5. Divert, impound or alter a watercourse; or
6. Introduce, release, abandon or dispose of any plant or animal

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything is up to interpretation, reading the rules you posted Gopher; I would say it is illegal to even step foot into that park.

Bottom line - Just don't look too deep into this stuff. Go have fun, if someone is bothered by you just move on. Most times you won't have a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread