Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By WIDirtFishing

Thread: Got skunked, but it was an honor!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    Minelab Equinox 800 Past: Tesoro Tiger Shark Tesoro Silver uMax AT Pro
    116 times
    Metal Detecting

Got skunked, but it was an honor!

Today I drove 2 hours to get to the site where Justice caught up with the Younger Brothers. Just South of La Salle, MN lies a narrow dirt road. Off that dirt road an inconspicuous roadside memorial sits. The area is dedicated to the "Madelia Seven" and their capture of the Younger Gang after they failed to rob the Northfield Bank with Jesse and Frank James.

I reached out to the current land owner and after much convincing he agreed to let me use my metal detector and see if there was anything worth finding. The agreement was I would donate any finds of significance to the Historical Society and stay the best I could on the game trails. I couldn't agree fast enough!

When I arrived I was greeted by the memorials and pictures of those involved. The area is extremely overgrown and I knew if I was sticking to the game trials I might be out of luck, but forged ahead anyways hoping I could find some low spots or get to the riverbank itself and do some diggin. I also did a little research before I left and had old plats and topo maps overlayed from Google Earth. I was set and ready to go! I hunted for about 3 hours and didn't come up with much. Most interest is the iron piece and the bullet casings. The Iron piece I will clean up when I have time and the bullet casings I am currently doing research on to see if I can get what style or caliber of rifle they came from. They say "I NI S" on tome or "I NI 2" and have two stars connected by a line at the bottom.

All in all, It was an honor to MD such a historic site and hopefully I will get to go back one day and try again. A big THANK YOU to the private land owner who didn't have to let me out there, but trusted me!
    As for the tools I used, an Equinox 600, set to mainly Field 2 or All Metal mode.
    Thanks for lookin!

La Salle, MN by T Johnson, on Flickr

T.C. and SD51 like this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." ~Winston Churchill

us
    Metal Detector

Oct 2015
    Minnesota
    Garrett AT Pro Whites XLT Garrett Ace 350
    20 times
    Metal Detecting
    Congratulations for getting on the land. It is always an honor to walk historic ground. The shell casings unfortunately are from blanks. Note the bent over nose where a bullet would have been. Sorry but every year re-enactors would go down there and re-enact the capture with a lot of gunplay and shooting of blanks. Not far from where you were detecting is the Watonwan Post. An old army fort, it was manned by solders during the Civil War. This remote Fort consisted of a stockade with several out buildings and was used to protect settlers from the Dakota Indians during the Dakota war of 1862-63. Two people were killed there during the war. It takes a little looking but you will find a large sign for the Fort that was put up by the State of MN back in the 1970’s. The farmers that own the land are friendly and you may even find a three ringer from an old Civil War rifle. Note that there is also an old brick home on the same corner as the sign. Look it over closely and you will see that it is a converted one room school house. I have never asked to detect it and wonder if anyone else has.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1615.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	1628900

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    308 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    Adding further to the blanks is that you were looking at it upside down. That read 5 in 1.

us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    116 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaveab View Post
    Adding further to the blanks is that you were looking at it upside down. That read 5 in 1.
    Haha i realized that after i cleaned them. makes perfect sense i found them because they do a re-enactment there every year.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." ~Winston Churchill

us
    Apr 2010
    Twin Cities, MN
    116 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekim14 View Post
    Congratulations for getting on the land. It is always an honor to walk historic ground. The shell casings unfortunately are from blanks. Note the bent over nose where a bullet would have been. Sorry but every year re-enactors would go down there and re-enact the capture with a lot of gunplay and shooting of blanks. Not far from where you were detecting is the Watonwan Post. An old army fort, it was manned by solders during the Civil War. This remote Fort consisted of a stockade with several out buildings and was used to protect settlers from the Dakota Indians during the Dakota war of 1862-63. Two people were killed there during the war. It takes a little looking but you will find a large sign for the Fort that was put up by the State of MN back in the 1970’s. The farmers that own the land are friendly and you may even find a three ringer from an old Civil War rifle. Note that there is also an old brick home on the same corner as the sign. Look it over closely and you will see that it is a converted one room school house. I have never asked to detect it and wonder if anyone else has.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1615.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	1628900
    Yea I figured it out the blank manufacturer after I cleaned up the casings a bit, knowing they weren’t historically significant. The Post would be a great spot to poke around. Might have to do some research this winter and make some phone calls. Thanks for the tip!
    I’m currently trying to get some permissions on another old fort, so we’ll see.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links