Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Just wondering, as a noob, if there are any "draconian" laws in your state like we have here in WI?
I live right across the river, so would be more than happy to go to MN for searching.
I'd be looking in the SE area around Lacrescent, Winona, Dakota etc.
Thanks for any info!!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting in the mid-70's in MN. I know that I left you plenty of treasure since the digging tool back then was a screwdriver (not a lot of depth in the old detectors).

Avoid the State Parks...

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/rules.html

Other than that, I never had a problem with County Parks and parks in the small towns, but always check for signs regarding detecting and wherever you detect, get permission. Good luck!

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't stir up a hornet's nest with the city paper-pushers. Just go detecting and make sure to cut good plugs. I've never been bothered by anyone.

OP
OP
EQ8

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your replies.
I wish I had got into this a few years ago as I believe we could (possibly) got Gov Walker to reverse the stupid MD laws here.
I have detected before and do leave sites as I found them.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m from LaX area. Lived and detected Mn from 2010-2019. I never had an issue at city or county parks but I particularly like to go off the beaten path where i was rarely seen or bothered. Any historical site owned by local or state just stay away otherwise if it isn’t posted in wouldn’t worry too much.
No state parks ever though. So like DiamondDan pointed out go for it!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Just wondering, as a noob, if there are any "draconian" laws in your state like we have here in WI?
I live right across the river, so would be more than happy to go to MN for searching.
I'd be looking in the SE area around Lacrescent, Winona, Dakota etc.
Thanks for any info!!

Just out of curiosity, what are the laws in Wisconsin that are so draconian? I thought it was much like Minnesota, in that it's up to the local cities to decide whether you can or can't detect in their parks, same with county parks?

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% stay away from Three Rivers Parks (I keep a printout of the list in my truck). They are off-limits. Also, Savage is pretty much off-limits unless you are on private property. You can get a permit that lasts 2 years for all Ramsey County parks just by asking the park board. I can dig up a contact if you need me to. And yes, don't call around and ask permission. Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread