Lake of the Woods

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrolling through all the old threads and thought id bump this one since im planning on hunting the LOTW area this summer. A large group of friends and I have been going fishing in Sioux Narrows in Ontario (about an hour across the border) for ten years now and this summer will be the first time i will be visiting with a metal detector. I plan on hitting I Falls for a few hours before we cross the border and then Sioux Narrows at the resort we will be going to which dates back to the 30's. Im most curious to see if i can snag some good finds on the islands when we stop for shore lunch each day because i know these islands have been used for shore lunch for decades. Ill post my finds when im back stateside. (1st week of August)

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I cant wait to hear what you find.

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys. Got back from my weeklong trip to LOTW on the Canadian side and here is what I found!

We stayed at a resort in Sioux Narrows that has been open since 1937. The resort has a large grassy yard in the middle of their property that touches the lake at one end and the main lodge on the other so i knew there had to be some good targets below the surface. From a picture i found dating to the mid 50's it looked like the yard had never been disturbed and looked identical to how it does today. I focused on the yard almost the entire time I was there and it produced fantastically.

It was obvious it had never been hunted before so being able to search that much virgin ground was a real treat. I found 3 silver canadian quarters (1943,1953,1965) 4 canadian pennies from the 40s and 5 wheat pennies from the 30's and 40's. I also found this odd looking sterling silver ring! Over all i ended up with about 8 dollars in change.

Relic wise, i found a lot if fishing gear as expected for a fishing resort, my favorite being an old "Johnsons Silver Minnow" lure that was patented in 1925. A few bullets, a dog tag, hose attachment and other random finds. I didnt spend my usual amount of time hunting because i didnt want to dig too many plugs in their yard, so i only went for obvious high tone targets that way next year ill be able to focus in on the mid range signals.

I also brought my detector to the islands we would stop at each day for shore lunch to give me an idea of the history of each site. One island i found a big coin spill from the 80's of both canadian and american coins, a few rifle casings, coffee cans and fish hooks. The others i didnt find much more than more rifle casings and shot gun shells and another penny from the 80s.

Overall it was a great trip, glad i found the silver I did and will definitely bring my detector back next year.

canda finds.jpg

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silvers. sounds like you have a good spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread