Newbie question

puckpack

Greenie
Dec 2, 2007
Lakeville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Hello!

My father and I are just beginning our detecting adventure and I have a some questions...

We live in the south metro(Lakeville) and would like to explore some of the local parks, what areas are open to detecting and what is not? I think I saw that all state parks are off limits, correct?

If we can explore parks, is it best to wait until children are not present before we begin?

Thanks for any help or tips!

Sean

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8/Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not real sure about the State parks, but for sure the Federal Parks prohibit metal detecting. You might make a phone call, or check on line with regard to the State. Otherwise, check the Gopher State Treasure Hunters www.gsthmn.com and go to the discussion forum. I believe you can post there even if not a member and I'm sure one of them can give you the straight skinny on State Parks. I thought you could, but probably not. Same old same old, i.e.; some bureaucrat thinks someone is getting something the government should have.

Most metro area city parks are alright to hunt in, although surprise, surprise to me, Ramsey County Parks require a permt for metal detecting (free for the asking) and you can get one if you call them.

As to children being around, not sure why you would be concerned except they can be a pain with their curiosity, and often try to help you dig the coin or whatever out.

I'm up in the Roseville area, but am more of a scuba/underwater hunter. I like the beach in Florida in the winter when I go there for a couple of weeks.

Good Luck, stay in touch.

JD

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Hennepin Co Parks $25 permit good only for beach areas in off season.
Dakota Co Parks says no, except maybe off season on beaches with permit.
The Scott Co Parks are controlled by Hennepin Co.

MN State Parks no detecting, the only exception is if you lost something there & describe it very specifically, then they go with you to make sure you turn over everything else. I think the fine years ago for detecting a state park was $700-800?

MN State Forests the last I heard detecting them was a $500 fine because the archaeologists say any land could be Indian land.

No detecting on golf courses is pretty standard. Also any ballfields or kids playgrounds using artificial turf.

In Lakeville, years ago I was told you're supposed to get some resident ID on your car as they charge non-residents for parking at beach parks while lifeguards are on duty. The last I knew about detecting in Lakeville is that the smaller parks don't have portable restrooms & in the big parks they only open the restrooms when someone is paying to use the picnic shelter or ballfields. This is there way of saying they don't like non-residents to use the parks (or schoolyards).

If you detect schools, do not detect while school is is session.

If you can pop coins out of the ground with a screwdriver, that should be acceptable anywhere that allows detecting. Digging plugs or partial plugs may or may not be allowed. Just try not to do anything that they might consider damage (damaging something enough that it has to be replaced/repaired). If your tool is a knife or looks like a knife, it may or may not be a problem. I'd especially be nervous about using a knife with kids present (some people have wild imaginations).

If bored little kids are around, they'll try to walk right where you're swinging the detector, so if they step on your coil, you may need a new one. Everytime you dig for something, they'll be right in your face & saying can I have that? But if they're older kids they might throw down coins for you.

NW Dakota County is all low-crime but you could run into serious troublemakers in places like "Murderapolis". Most of the older parks have been detected several thousand times anyway. Even in the newer parks out here they're prettty cleaned out by people hoping for good jewelry or several dollars in new coins.

My dad & I detected most of the towns within a 250 mile radius back in late '70s & early '80s, found some older coins but not worth the driving expense even then. Now I just detect new places nearby, weather & health permitting. I'm near you (AV). HH, George (MN)

OP
OP
P

puckpack

Greenie
Dec 2, 2007
Lakeville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Wow George, thank you so much for all the information!! It sounds like you have a great read on the area. Perhaps our paths will cross at some point, we live in that weird little area where Lakeville, Farmington, Apple Valley and Rosemount all are within a stones throw of each other.

Thanks again George.

Sean

OP
OP
P

puckpack

Greenie
Dec 2, 2007
Lakeville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Wally, thanks for the link, it is quite informative! :icon_study:

Along these lines, has anyone ever hunted in Mendota Heights along Highway 13 and the river?

Thanks,
Sean

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread