FOR SALE: 9 Mint State UNC Carson City Morgan Silver Dollars GSA Hoard

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I got these yesterday on consignment from a very nice older lady. They belonged to her recently deceased husband. I could have done like [folks who will remain nameless] and offered her half of melt value ($15.00), but instead I sat her down with a copy of the 2012 Whitman Red Book and showed her the price range for rare coins such as these. I'll be making a commission instead of a fortune, but at least I will retain my eternal soul.

These coins are from the infamous "GSA Hoard". If you are looking at this ad and collect coins, then I am going to assume you know the story behind them. If not, check the link below:

http://www.gsadollars.com/GSA_Hoard_History.html

Years are as follows:

1883 (missing COA)
1884 X 3
1885 X 2

Make an offer. Low-balling shylocks will be politely ignored.

Serious inquiries only. More detailed pics available upon request.

Payment by Paypal "gift" option, personal check (will ship after it clears) money order, or wire transfer.

Morgan_2.jpg

Morgan_3.jpg

Morgan_4.jpg

Morgan_1.jpg

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Re: FOR SALE: 9 Mint State UNC Carson City Morgan Silver Dollars 1878-1885

Hombre, you gonna make me pull the book out >?

Pssst, that safe is still for sale.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Re: FOR SALE: 9 Mint State UNC Carson City Morgan Silver Dollars 1878-1885

NaturalJWL said:
Hombre, you gonna make me pull the book out >?

Pssst, that safe is still for sale.

Thanks man. If I sell a few of these I will have the funds for it!

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Diver_Down said:
Please confirm that the COA's match the coins in question. The first two numbers on the cert will match the year of the coin.

Yeah, they all match, except for the one from 1883 that is missing. I also have the original GSA auction receipts for all the coins including the 1883 dated 6/15/80, 7/15/80, and 9/30/80. These were from the final GSA auction of the summer of 1980. Great year for humankind. Dawgs roll to the National Championship over Notre Dame. Go Dawgs.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
TheCarFan said:
Thanks for the help. You should have no trouble selling with that attitude.

My apologies, as I thought your were joking. Red Book lists MS65 conditions of the 1878 @ $1,750 (most expensive of the lot) and the 1884's @ $500 (least expensive of the lot).

I'm not asking "Top Dollar" but I don't want to give them away either. Again, sorry if I offended you but I just thought I was combating humor with humor.

TheCarFan

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
No spite here. My point is Apmex charges Retail+ prices. They will sell an NGC Certifed CC with box and cert for 209.99.
I know you dont want to rip this woman off and i don't blame you. In my first reply i was seriously just asking what a decent price that makes both sides happy would be.
The Red book tells you what Certified, Graded coins in a Retail setting are worth. The coins you have are not certified by a recognized coin grader. I am just seeking insight as to what good deals there are to be had in the coin world. Please understand

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
TheCarFan said:
No spite here. My point is Apmex charges Retail+ prices. They will sell an NGC Certifed CC with box and cert for 209.99.
I know you dont want to rip this woman off and i don't blame you. In my first reply i was seriously just asking what a decent price that makes both sides happy would be.
The Red book tells you what Certified, Graded coins in a Retail setting are worth. The coins you have are not certified by a recognized coin grader. I am just seeking insight as to what good deals there are to be had in the coin world. Please understand

I found you a CC on eBay for $50.00 - It's a little worn, but it's "a great deal to be had in the coin world".

http://cgi.ebay.com/Good-1878-Carso...97?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20ba77a839

I am aware of how Red Book works. I only threw out those numbers to let you know how ridiculous your offer was. I should have just followed my own advice in the first post and politely ignored low-ball offers, which is what you threw out. Feel free to purchase from APMEX, as my feelings won't be hurt at all. The lowest price on a GSA CC offered by APMEX is $189.00 for the most common years (82-84) without the box or COA in BU condition. If I am unable to achieve my asking price (which is nowhere near $50-$150 LOL) I will drop the $300 to have the remaining 8 graded by NGC.

It's all good in the hood brother...

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Sale Pending on the remaining 8. Thanks to all those most who looked and inquired. I believe this one worked out well for all parties involved.

;D

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
NaturalJWL said:
Congrats !

I am addicted to Morgan's, but couldn't afford those.

Dang it.

It's killing me to sell all these. They were my "White Whale" as far as silver coins go. I may be able to afford one from APMEX though so I have to thank TheCarFan for the heads up.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
this was an entertaining post to read thanks to all the players involved!

You sir are a funny MF.

I mean damn you apologized I thought he was kidding too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread