Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
finally. an act of contrition, however late

Vienna Philharmonic Strips Ex-Nazis Of Honors

VIENNA (AP) — The famed Vienna Philharmonic orchestra has quietly stripped six former senior Nazi officials of honors awarded them — a late act of contrition for its embrace of the Hitler era that included purging Jewish members from its ranks.

The decision was divulged to The Associated Press by an orchestra member on Friday and confirmed by historian Oliver Rathkolb.

Rathkolb led research earlier this year documenting the orchestra's close cooperation with Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels and other top Hitler associates after Germany's 1938 annexation of Austria.

The formal vote to revoke the awards was held at the orchestra's annual meeting on Oct. 23 but the move was not announced. Rathkolb said all ensemble members agreed then to strip the officials from golden rings of honor and medals.

Those losing the honors included Arthur Seyss-Inquart, a top Hitler associate sentenced to death for war crimes and crimes against humanity and Vienna governor Baldur von Schirach, who drew a 20-year prison sentence at the Nuremberg trials for his leading role in the deportation of tens of thousands of Jews.

The others stripped of the honors were senior SS official Albert Reitter; Friedrich Rainer, governor of Salzburg and Carinthia provinces; Rudolf Toepfer, a ranking Hitler-era railway official; and Vienna Mayor Hanns Blaschke.

Under the Nazis, 13 musicians with Jewish roots or kin were fired by the orchestra and five died in concentration camps. By the end of World War II, about half of the Philharmonic's members had joined the Nazi party.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I commend those who do right by their actions, no matter how small, no matter how many years later.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey packerbacker!! Come on, you know the only way to win a peace prize is to kick everyone else into submission!! He He!! MERRY CHRISTMAS and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Glad to hear that even now people are trying to do the right thing. Once upon a time in another life I worked in a state mental hospital. One of the patients was an elderly lady who was pretty much completely out of it and a concentration camp survivor. Every now & then she would start mumbling that no matter what "they" did to her she never told her secrets.. It was a real wake up call for me at around 20 years of age.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to make light of their actions, it IS a positive "gesture" given who won the war but do you think the philharmonic would be taking this action if the nazis were still in charge? No, they wouldn't, these same "anti-nazis" would be nazi members just like their predecessors. You can easily be politically correct if there is no cost to one's actions. I'd be impressed had they stood up to the nazis when the nazis were in power.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to make light of their actions, it IS a positive "gesture" given who won the war but do you think the philharmonic would be taking this action if the nazis were still in charge? No, they wouldn't, these same "anti-nazis" would be nazi members just like their predecessors. You can easily be politically correct if there is no cost to one's actions. I'd be impressed had they stood up to the nazis when the nazis were in power.

Dont take your aversion to political correctness too far.

Maybe you can just take this story "as-is" for face value and not put a political spin on it?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How come Paula Dean can perform her own "act of contrition" apologizing for something she herself said and did long ago and not be totally excused for her past by the pc police and yet, to have members of a band apologize for their former members actions is totally acceptable and all is forgiven.....however late? I guess if you are wearing rose-colored glasses and someone points out a "real" color, it ruins the mood. :(

OP
OP
pippinwhitepaws
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pc police packer?
i'd give a class on this issue, but my teaching methods are not allowed...
have a nice day.

I will say, if people had respect for others, no political correct behaviors would need to be defined by law.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUOTE: "I made a post for jersey ben and others who suffered oppression..."
You should have stated that nobody else should respond to your post if we don't fall blindly into the "everything is beautiful" mood without discussing the entire subject with personal perspectives on the subject. I find lawmakers that try to take my rights away, oppressive. Does that count?
I'm not baiting anyone, just giving my perspective on the big picture

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pc police packer?
have a nice day.

I will say, if people had respect for others, no political correct behaviors would need to be defined by law.

If people truly had respect for others, then a difference of opinion would be tolerated by all. Political correctness, by it's very definition, is the act of being so intolerant of others that you must pass laws to prohibit the words and thoughts of those who disagree with you. No more intense intolerance exists than in those who would legislate what the thoughts and words of others must or must not be, no matter where one stands politically.

P.S. If anyone disagrees with this premise, please don't respond as though I added "deeds" along with "words and thoughts". If you are going to respond to ideas expressed in this post...please don't twist it into something I didn't say...thanks!

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
pc police packer?
have a nice day.

Respect for others...
Your teaching methods not allowed? I hope you don't mean agree or be beaten into submission...:D

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How the heck did this thread end up in the classified section? Lol

I was surprised to find it here myself...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
How the heck did this thread end up in the classified section? Lol
In light of recent developments be thankful it still exists. I'm sure you can get a mod to move it to wherever it belongs. Might I also respectfully suggest that since some of us have too many differences of opinion on touchy subjects that you simply leave "us" alone and we will give "you" all the same respect ? Just a thought in keeping with the spirit of the Christmas truce thread. You have my apologies for anything I may have said in the past in the heat of discussion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread