***AMMUNITION SHORTAGE REASON***

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes! Traditional archery, do you shoot modern arrows? I'am getting into recurve hunting, with a long reach I'am having trouble finding a vintage bow with that "extra" flex...as recurves are rated at 28#. 32" draw is pushing it. They pinch & stack, or break. I'm looking at modern take downs.

Wood arrows only since 1982. I tried aluminum briefly.

I'm 6'2" and draw a good 30". I have bows of 58" that have a little finger pinch, but my "honey" is a 1966 Browning Explorer of 62" AMO that is respectably fast (185 fps) with 600 grain arrows of Douglas fir. Made of Amazon Rosewood and irreplaceable now. Note that AMo for recurves is measured 1-3/4" ahead of the deepest part of the grip. For broadhead clearance I keep my shafts 32" and put a 7/8" head taper for the glue-on points.

DSCN0655.JPG

This year I hunted with a 58" Shakespeare Necedah of 1965. No shots offerered this year.
DSCN1263.JPG

I use up all of a 32" arrow by the time I taper for point & nock.
1397960156_zps11479d7a.jpg

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of ammunition available. Normal price. Even the elusive 45 hollow point.
22's, long n short, plentiful.
Attend a show.
Peace ✌

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said it. It is IMPOSSIBLE to fill a chainsaw with one of those burp-prevention or whatever spring loaded nozzles without putting half on the ground and all over the case.

I am riding down my supply of factory loaded ammo and have a goodly supply of powder, primers & bullets for the few cartridge arms I still shoot. I've switched heavily over to traditional archery (1960's recurves) and flintlock muzzleloaders. 25 years ago I was shooting PPC and doing more centerfire varmint hunting and I probably had 15,000 rounds in the house. I'd fire 200 to 250 rounds in a good weekend.

I have two unopened 440 round SPAM cans of Czech 7.62 x 54R and several partials in the closet and a couple Mosins I pull out for fun 300 yard plinking occasionally. I miss the days I could get those surplus cans in the mail.

I think I paid $60 for this Sako barrelled M39. Some time ago. ;-)

View attachment 1090920

Charlie, At least down here, we still get our SPAM delivered to the front door with a smile! spam 001.JPG

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not in NY. Current Governor decided to mandate crooks had to break into homes to steal ammo by making it a law that no one can order it through the mail or delivery services. And you can't buy "large capacity" or load more than 10 rounds in a magazine. At least he was convinced to change the original wording that outlawed most police pistols and .22 LRs with tubular magazines (if it could hold 10+ .22 Shorts you couldn't own it).

When you get drunk and run someone down with your car thay say: "damned drunk."

When you shoot a person they say "danmed gun."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread