Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in my early teens until I left Baton Rouge, La and joined the Army in 1989. Me and my best friend would go out to Audubon and also the battle field in St Francisville and Port Hudson. We use to go to another place almost every weekend, I am not sure if it is in way Northern, La or MS before getting to Natchez. I know we headed out on hwy 61 drove past the road that leads into Angola, La. This old battlefiled has berms and encampments still there and also there is the creek area has 16 waterfalls total along the creek. There is also a store that is still or was there that was built sometime in the early or middle 1800's that have a lot of artifacts from the CW era displayed in the store. It has been many many years since I have been there , the last time I was there was in 2001 prior to me leaving for Afghanistan. I know it is way before Natchez, MS. The location MAY be in Mississippi I know there was a 2 lane country road that you turned off of from Hwy 61. I went back there looking for it in September last year and could not find the place.

There at the battlefield, there are trails you can hike and see all the berms and encampments there and if you go further into the trail you can see the creek and the waterfalls along the trail.

I can't remember if it is a state park or what, but I would like to explore it again being I have more time.

For the sake of me I can't remember the name of the place, or how to get to it anymore. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

token

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Sounds like it could be Clark Creek hiking area. I believe it is near Angola prison. Me, my brother and some friends hiked in that area in the 70's before it was well known.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No that isn't the place. This place you travel north on hwy 61, then turn on a country road, (left turn), then drive out a ways, then it comes to a little hill like and the old store is there and on the upper part of the hill is the site. Hwy 61 goes from Baton Rouge to Natchez, MS. I know there was no way I got to Natchez. It is somewhere between just North of La state line and miles way before Natchez, MS

token

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Not Sure but seems like it could be close to Clark creek area, it had a lot of waterfalls and a old store near there that is over 100 years old. It is at bottom of a hill if i remember.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
token said:
Not Sure but seems like it could be close to Clark creek area, it had a lot of waterfalls and a old store near there that is over 100 years old. It is at bottom of a hill if i remember.

That very well could be it. Do you have the location? I looked on Google Earth. That can not be the area I am decribing or looking for. The route I would have taken to get to the area I am talking about is taking Hwy 61 North from Baton Rouge, La towards Natchez, MS. It is somewhere between La around Angola area to MAYBE a location just across the MS line. I know the Mississippi River would be on the West Side of the area I am looking for only a few miles.

token

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Directions from St. Francisville, Louisiana: Take Hwy 61 north to US 66 (Tunica Trace) turn left onto Hwy 66. Continue on Hwy 66 until Hwy 969 Pickneyville - turn right and continue on Hwy 969 until Hwy 24 which is at Pond, turn left over the cattle guard. Note the large white building that serves as Pond Store. Stop here to get last minute refreshments, maps of the park and tour this circa 1881 general store. Entrance to the park is 200 yards further up the road on the left.

It seems to be a popular place now. I hope this is it. If it is, post about what it looks like now. Talking about that place bought back good memories. My brother is gone now and those friends are scattered. Good Luck

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your help. I DO BELIEVE, this IS the place, and from your directions Token, I believe that is the way I went. When me and my best friend went there on weekends to hike back in 1983 I was just 21 years old at the time and we would go there just about every weekend. The trails were pretty much dirt and the trails didn't have many bridges to cross the shallow creek. You pretty much had to find a place shallow enough or some bigger rocks to step on to get across without getting your feet wet. When we went into the store and saw all the CW era stuff, we were amazed at how much was there. Of course at that time I didn't think to get into MDing until last year. When I went back there in 2001 prior to leaving for Afghanistan, (being I hadn't been in the area for quite a many few years), I noticed then in 2001 that they built bridges to cross low areas as the trails changed a little. My best friend and I used to go off the trial and seek further exploration around the area and saw burms that were man made from a long time ago. Thanks RR and token for your help.

Now that I see it is PArks and Wildlife recreation I guess NO MDing can be done. I would like to find areas around there to MD though.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, this is what I like about MDers and this website, everyone helping each other. Sharing information and trying to help the next guy find a good place to MD. Great Work. :thumbsup:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harleyman I live in Natchez. Clarks creek is the only place I know of that has waterfalls. It is in Woodville, Mississippi..Between Natchez and Baton Rouge. You are coming from Baton Rouge, you go north on Hwy 61 North. You get to Woodville, ms. At the 4 way stop there you take a LEFT and drive for a good ways. You then arrive at Clarks Creek. I went there when I was a young boy. Climbed all the waterfalls and all that Jazz. Very nice out there. I also remember a place my grandparents took me one day. You guys directions remind me of the exact place. The Cattle gap, the old general store. Did this place have a lake or ponds of some sort. I went there back in the 80s.

djrc

Mar 26, 2007
I believe Clark Creek is closed to the public now. I went hiking there the summer of 2008 and read in the paper later in the year it has been closed. Pond store may still be open. Lake Mary is close by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread