Perkins plantation/Vicksburg

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Perkins Plantation...eight to twelve miles below New Carthage

'''Grant had tried for months to get to the east of Vicksburg by coming down ... we struck the Mississippi River at Perkins Plantation (we know as "Somerset"). ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

The expedition passed New Carthage under water, and at Ion plantation, owned by Mr. James, encountered the Confederate pickets and chased them to their camp at Perkins' plantation, a couple of miles below. Ion plantation was high and dry. It contained acreage enough to held a large army, and it was determined to hold it all hazards. The next morning, April 8th, the rest of the 69th came forward and the day was spent in erecting saw-log barricades against the enemy. Every day for a weck the rebel artillery shelled the position, while their infantry made demonstrations that seriously threatened the success of the expedition. To add to the peril, a rebel gunboat appeared in the water front and kept the little force in a very anxious frame of mind for one day. It was saved from shelling by the close proximity of the mansion of Mr. James, an ardent friend of the enemy, and whose two sons were officers in the Confederate force at Perkins.

The tension was finally relieved by the passage of the batteries at Vicksburg, on the night of the 16th, by the gunboats and transports and their arrival at Ion plantation at noon next day. Early next morning the 49th and 69th Indiana, supported by the gunboats, made a reconnoissance to Perkins' plantation, which they found had been abandoned by the enemy the night before. Perkins' plantation had several hundred acres of fine camp ground, a river froiit with a good landing, making it an ideal place for assembling an army.
http://books.google.com/books?id=H-...ins+plantation+vicksburg,MS&output=text#c_top

Good article on family history
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lamadiso/perkins/perkins.htm

Attachments

• somerset.jpg
    somerset.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,163
  • Perkins Plantation property in outline.jpg
    Perkins Plantation property in outline.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 904

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
This old plantation grounds has some fantastic hunting spots. My Uncle's in-laws found many civil war era silver and a Henry Repeater wrapped in oil cloth and in mint condition.

I had permission to hunt the grounds till last year. A large group of detectors had a group hunt there... They trashed up the place and left open holes. The overseer was very upset and now has banned all detecting. We are working toward gaining access again, good lord willing. Will let you know how we come out...

OP
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Gypsy, thank you for the research...went to Vicksburg quite a few years ago for a reenactment and met a family member that ran a museum there...because of time constraints and my drinking habits at the time did not get the chance to spend any time with him and get the information I would have liked...
Graycloud, if you do get permission to hunt again, maybe we could get together later in the year, I need to build up some cash...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread