DID THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS SAIL UP THE MISSISSIPPI?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one has found chariot wheels or pyramids attributable to the ancient Egyptians in the Lower Mississippi Valley, nor are their hieroglyphics carved on the rocks in that area. However, there are striking correspondences between the languages of ancient Egypt and those of the Indians that inhabited the areas around Louisiana about the time of Christ!

B. Fell, the main pillar of the Epigraphic Society, has stated that the language of the Atakapas, and to a lesser extent those of the Tunica and Chitimacha tribes, are unique in the sense that they seem to be related to no known languages. But there are affinities with Nile Valley languages. In fact, the similarities involve just those words one would associate with Egyptian trading communities of 2,000 years ago.

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf082/sf082a02.htm

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool! :)

Bran <><

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they could build the pyramids, anything is possible.

S

seger98

Well the third paragraph does ask some interesting questions.

"As would be expected, most archeologists will have none of this. "Where are the coins, the buildings, the piers?" they ask. Countering such criticism, W. Rudersdorf notes that no artifacts have ever been found from Coronado's expedition, only 450 years ago, when thousands of Spanish soldiers marched across the South."

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
One thing is for sure. There is a whole lot that we do not know.... :icon_scratch:

NewbieTR

Dec 31, 2007
Memphis
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Quick Draw II
seger98 said:
Well the third paragraph does ask some interesting questions.

"As would be expected, most archeologists will have none of this. "Where are the coins, the buildings, the piers?" they ask. Countering such criticism, W. Rudersdorf notes that no artifacts have ever been found from Coronado's expedition, only 450 years ago, when thousands of Spanish soldiers marched across the South."

Well, there may be one artifact from Coronado that hardly anyone knows about: a sword that, I believe, now sits in the Holly Springs, MS museum. If memory serves me correctly, some good ole boy was blowing up beaver dams with dynamite many years ago (1960's ?) and the sword came flying out of the ground during one beaver family's harsh eviction from their homestead. It's been quite a few years since I have been back down there but I do remember it. If you are in the area, you might want to go to that little museum. It is truly a diamond in the rough.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ancient Egyptians may have WALKED overland, following the Mississippi River, but they surely didn't SAIL up the river. The physics is against that. The river flows too fast for a boat to go against the flow by sails only. If that was possible, sailboats would have been in regular use before the steamboats were invented. The invention of the steamboats is what opened up the Mississippi for transportation of goods and people.

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I know this post is old but I'll comment anyway. I grew up on the Mississippi River, my grandfather was even a towboat captain. It is definately possible if they made it across the Atlantic they could have made it up the Mississippi. The river did not flow as fast then as it does now. The corp. of engineers has taken away many of the curves, cut channels, built rock dikes and made the river flow lots faster than it used too. Entirely POSSIBLE to sail upstream, maybe not probable, but possible. Also who knows where they landed. The river has changed its path by several MILES in some places in the last 150 years, much less 2000+ years. Look at the paddle wheelers that have been found under farmers fields. Also the soil would swallow most any metal artifacts. There is no rock in the soil, all silty sandy mud. Good luck with this, it's very interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions