Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Detecting on Deer Island off Biloxi

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2009

Re: Detecting on Deer Island off Biloxi

Quote Originally Posted by CaptJohn
    I found info that led me to believe that You can metal detect on Ms State land only with a written letter granting permission from the Director of State Parks and Wildlife dept. I saw this on a site of Ms state parks and Lands. I was trying to find the rules for MD'ing on state owned hunting land.
    Do you have that refrence? I would like to read it. I hope I didnt miss anything. I have been out on biloxi beach all weekend and have had no issues. The cops just drive by. I havn't seen any parks and wildlife department officers though. Hmm. Makes me wonder. I am sure i would have been said something too by now, by someone.

Feb 2005
    1 times

ACrisp, I have never heard of anyone having any problems on the mainland beaches. It is just the Islands that we know for a fact that some(Ship) have been restricted for years. Cat is privately owned now I believe and probably always has been.You can't find any restrictions on DEER, so leter rip, BUT like I suggest,to keep a low profile would be wise . You may have already seen the Site for The Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries, and Parks,,, Public Notice P 10-0002 #17 on the list ,,, it says that to Metal detect you must have written approval of the Executive Director of the Mississippi Department of Wildlife , Fisheries and Parks. ( 39-7-4, Mississippi Code of 1972) According to that you can detect on State Parks etc. but you do have to get written approval. That beats a flat out NO, or a Maybeso, or a whatever. I may see you on the beach sometime this summer because soon as my hunting buddy gets well enough after heart Bypass, that will be the coolest place to go detecting in Mississippi Take care,, Charlie

Sep 2006
    Fairhope Alabama
    26 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

A couple of years ago I called the Sheriffs Office and was told it was OK to MD the Beaches. I think I called them because signs on the beaches about rules had a Sheriffs dept. label. I think the mainland beaches belong to the county, not the state.

us
    zinclid

Apr 2010
    ALABAMA
    Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
    4 times

I have always been told it was not permitted on any of the Islands off the Mississippee coast--including Deer, Horn,ship, or Round Island. I have metal detected a bunch of times over the years along the shore in Ocean Springs, Biloxi, and Gulfport--never had any problems with authorities saying anything other than being there past the posted hours when folks are not allowed on the beach each night. And that happened a few months ago when a friend and I were planning on hanging out to pick the guitar and I was not detecting yet, but thought of trying it a little while as my friend picked his guitar-- when an officer told us we'd have to clear out because no one was allowed after a certain time at Ocean Springs beach.
    zinclid wuz heah!

us
    Apr 2009
    It Helps if you do your research and dig into the regulations and maps yourself. There is a lot that you can find out to keep you out of trouble.

Apr 2012
    Well I didn't know that some one actually owns part of the island. Today they voted at the Biloxi City council Meeting to change the designation of his part of the island from agricultural to water front. Which means he is going to start building here now, and will no longer be the pristine nature environment it is today. There was no environmental study done, the meeting was held in the middle of the day when the people could not get off work and voice their opinion, etc. Good bye Island.

us
    laffitte

Jun 2014
    Ocean Springs,Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro
    7 times
    Cache Hunting
    Dear island is not part of it. There was also a treasure chest dug up 1911 that belonged to Jean Lafitte. Given by letter from New Orleans to a family in Ocean Springs, Ms. Yes is was delivered 90 late.
    There is another chest found on Dolphin Island in 1991. No one will ever hear about that one. Why?? because it is own by Fla. government.

us
    Ray

Jul 2012
    New Orleans burb
    At-Pro, Fisher F2
    130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry-Biloxi View Post
    Well I didn't know that some one actually owns part of the island. Today they voted at the Biloxi City council Meeting to change the designation of his part of the island from agricultural to water front. Which means he is going to start building here now, and will no longer be the pristine nature environment it is today. There was no environmental study done, the meeting was held in the middle of the day when the people could not get off work and voice their opinion, etc. Good bye Island.
    It's been almost 2 years.
    Has any construction happened?
    Ray

us
    laffitte

Jun 2014
    Ocean Springs,Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro
    7 times
    Cache Hunting
    I used to go camping at Deer Island all the time. Now I have a ProAT and can not get to the Island. Got rid of my boat. Did you know that there were TWO treasure chest found on that island. 1911 buried by Jean Lafitte in 1815-23. The other one was found on the West end of Deer Island. Anchor LLT (he sells White Detectors 228 435-4773. Jim) of Biloxi told me about this one. When you go to these island stay on the North side of the Islands. They never bury on the South end or the East end. I know.
    Any one on the coast of Ocean Spring Ms . who want to detector or research give me a call (228) 215-3282--BOB

us
    Metal Detectorist and Adventurer

Jun 2015
    Southern Mississippi!
    Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
    279 times
    Metal Detecting
    I wanted to bump this thread. Anyone been to Deer Island lately?
    Since MS bought back portions of CAT Island, is it accessible now?
    Just wondering, because Cat Island has LOTS of history!
    Cat Island

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    792 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have never had much luck chasing treasures. I have found a lot of relics but never any old coins except a 1909 penny next to a cpl of rifle casings. The trouble with the coast is so much land has been churned over from hurricanes that more often than not the coins get to deep to find. The beaches create a nice walk but rarely does anyone find more than $2 in clad and the wild ass chance of a ring. To many tourists hunt the beaches and if one really thinks about it you rarely loose change anyway and if you lose a ring you will look until all hope is lost.

I do best at old schools and parks

I don't detect for the stuff I find, I detect for the stuff I haven't found.

If I didn't find it I hope you did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links