Detecting on Deer Island off Biloxi

salty dog

Aug 10, 2005
Southern Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Hey ACrisp1982,
I've thought about detecting there also.
I see a lot of people camping there and sunbathing.
I also read somewhere that people used to live on the island a long time ago.
If you go, let us know how you do.

Good Luck !

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
I will be sure to. Would you like to go with me? I was going to go this saturday or sunday.

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
only one problem with going there, I use a kayak usuallly. I can rent a canoe from the air base and that will hold 2.

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
If anyone is intrested in going please let me know. I will be hitting the beach at 9am tomorrow may 2nd and returning around 3 or 4.

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
salty dog said:
Hey ACrisp1982,
I've thought about detecting there also.
I see a lot of people camping there and sunbathing.
I also read somewhere that people used to live on the island a long time ago.
If you go, let us know how you do.

Good Luck !

Deer Island Update,

I covered most of the western half of the island with the exception of the western tip. There were too many people over there for me once I made it back that way. I will have to try that section at a later time. The island is covered in alot of trash left over from the storms. Between all the trash, tall grasses, and the briars, I determined it really isnt worth hunting the interior section of the island. I will most likely go back out in a couple of weeks to hunt either the eastern half or the far western tip. Today all I found was left over bullet caskings, old nails, an old lead bullet and a .22 bullet. I also found something else, not sure what it is. It is iron and I have it soaking in peroxide then off to electrolysis.

mikep829

Jan 18, 2009
Bartlett, TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Wilson Coin Select
Let me know when you head back out there, I'll be on the Seabee base till June 6th. I just got to figure out which detector I am going to bring to MS. I'll take just about any chance I can to get out to MD these days.

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
mikep829 said:
Let me know when you head back out there, I'll be on the Seabee base till June 6th. I just got to figure out which detector I am going to bring to MS. I'll take just about any chance I can to get out to MD these days.

Yea I get quite board. Living on the air base is not my idea of fun. I was looking at another post and the guys said to contact the historical societys in the area and they can give you a rundown of old homes that are gone and if they are public land or not. So I need to figure out how to get in touch with them.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
You fellers best do a Google on Deer Island and at least know what to expect when someone with a badge shows up and starts asking y'all questions. That was just to get your attention, but in all seriousness, a quick Google I did turned up some interesting facts. First one was that the island has been designated as a Mississippi Coastal Preserve, and you can bet there will be at least another half dozen designations right in there with that one.All Big Brother, Little sister(you know what she can be) You know what that means, permits, license, permission(Fees) for "whatever" you are doing there and if they (dude with the badge)don't have a category to fit you in they will use the Antiquities Act,, and that will smoke your butts!. Just be cool and check it out before you cause yourself some real grief. You might can even get permits and detect legal, buy I would not get my hopes up.

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
Cass said:
You fellers best do a Google on Deer Island and at least know what to expect when someone with a badge shows up and starts asking y'all questions. That was just to get your attention, but in all seriousness, a quick Google I did turned up some interesting facts. First one was that the island has been designated as a Mississippi Coastal Preserve, and you can bet there will be at least another half dozen designations right in there with that one.All Big Brother, Little sister(you know what she can be) You know what that means, permits, license, permission(Fees) for "whatever" you are doing there and if they (dude with the badge)don't have a category to fit you in they will use the Antiquities Act,, and that will smoke your butts!. Just be cool and check it out before you cause yourself some real grief. You might can even get permits and detect legal, buy I would not get my hopes up.

Would you happen to have any refrences to back this up? What I have read on a few websites is that the island was purchased by mississippi for the people to enjoy. I was out there last weekend and all I found was trash and bullet casings from hunters or people that like to shoot a lot. So as a caring naturist, my claim is that I am cleaning up the island and trying to remove the non visual trash from one of the great beauties of the gulf coast. Instead of polluting it, I am actually doing it a favor and cleaning it. Only one problem is that I cannot get the big trash that is in the interior of the island, but I can clean up the beautiful beaches. I am sure that once a wildlife officer comes over and I show him the bag of trash im carrying around he will be a little more accepting. But that is between me and him. Besides its going to be a while before I head back out there. I am quite busy over the next few weeks with work anyways.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
ACrisp, Hey, I am trying to give you some fair warning and maybe keep you from having a bad experience, but I sense you think I may be a little nosey or whatever.Truth is I am telling you something you don't want to hear. Sorry about that, but you need to listen up! I happen to know for a fact that it is strictly against the law to metal detect on Wildlife Management Land,,National Forrests,and that is for "public enjoyment".I doubt that you will find much leeway between any of those type Government Agencies (State or Fed). and I am just trying to clue you in a bit. Some of the State Parks allow detecting and some don't ,from what I have heard.It is sometimes simply left up to the one who has the Authority. Yes, you have to watch "heresay", because that is all it is. Fact is that sooner or later it is all about money and those "Fees" I mentioned. I simply suggest that you do a few more Googles and you will see that what I am telling you is so.The Island has a long and extensive period of human habitation so try the Google on Mississippi Coastal Preserves, and Mississippi Gulf Coast National Heritage Areas and see if Deer Island will either be included in, or in agreement with those same rules and regs. Maybe not, but I would not bet any metal detecting gear on it, and that is what you just might be doing. If you think you can get by with your cleaning up the beach routine, you just may do it for awhile. It will depend on who is behind that badge, and if it is your lucky day.

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
Sir,

To respect your post I decided to conduct more research. An additional 2 hours of research on top of my 3 hours prior. Yes I agree Deer Island is on the Mississippi state coastal preserve list. I also reviewed the laws governing the preserve. It is not a part of the national historic seashore or national anything, its state owned. Now Ship Island and parts of Cat Island is on that list so those islands are untouchable. But I wouldn’t detect on those anyway, too far out for my wimpy boat. But, back on subject, the only detecting law on public state land refers to Indian burial grounds and recovery of ship wreck artifacts. Also to back up my research on coastal preserves please see MISSISSIPPI CODE §§ 49-27-7 section D words 5 through 19. Here is the link to the code. www.dmr.state.ms.us/Coastal-Ecology/Preserves/Laws/CoastalWetlandsProtectionActExemptActivities.pdf. This law exempts metal detectorists because we do not destroy flora or fauna. I am not about doing anything illegal or immoral, so I would not detect there if it were against the law. If anything, my detecting on my air base is more illegal than detecting on Deer Island.

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
ACrisp1982 said:
Sir,

To respect your post I decided to conduct more research. An additional 2 hours of research on top of my 3 hours prior. Yes I agree Deer Island is on the Mississippi state coastal preserve list. I also reviewed the laws governing the preserve. It is not a part of the national historic seashore or national anything, its state owned. Now Ship Island and parts of Cat Island is on that list so those islands are untouchable. But I wouldn’t detect on those anyway, too far out for my wimpy boat. But, back on subject, the only detecting law on public state land refers to Indian burial grounds and recovery of ship wreck artifacts. Also to back up my research on coastal preserves please see MISSISSIPPI CODE §§ 49-27-7 section D words 5 through 19. Here is the link to the code. www.dmr.state.ms.us/Coastal-Ecology/Preserves/Laws/CoastalWetlandsProtectionActExemptActivities.pdf. This law exempts metal detectorists because we do not destroy flora or fauna. I am not about doing anything illegal or immoral, so I would not detect there if it were against the law. If anything, my detecting on my air base is more illegal than detecting on Deer Island.

Also the Antiquities Act wouldnt work either its a federal law. However, there is a Mississippi antiquities law. It was enacted to locate, protect, and preserve sites, objects, buildings, shipwrecks, and locations of historical, archaeological, or architectural interest in the state (referred to as "Mississippi Landmarks"). So I reviewed the Mississippi landmarks list and Deer Island isn't listed. By the way, here is the link to that list. http://mdah.state.ms.us/hpres/nrhp_list.pdf.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Thanks ACrisp, your extra effort is all I was asking of you. Looks like you are good to go. My overbearing concern was born out of some personal observations and a personal experience that I have had in just the last few months. There are so many invironmental, historical , preservation, and land trust groups that have almost overnight come into being and you will find that every law in the book(and then some) will be used to secure their claims and strengthen their gains. The Antiquities Act and the MDAH will almost always be brought in and used to the fullest in these situations when it suits their purposes, whether they have made note of it or not. It is still all about money,(plenty of it now) personal agendas, and gain. Y'all have some Happy Hunting and consider keeping a low profile just to be on the safe side. Cass

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found info that led me to believe that You can metal detect on Ms State land only with a written letter granting permission from the Director of State Parks and Wildlife dept. I saw this on a site of Ms state parks and Lands. ?????? I was trying to find the rules for MD'ing on state owned hunting land.

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
CaptJohn said:
I found info that led me to believe that You can metal detect on Ms State land only with a written letter granting permission from the Director of State Parks and Wildlife dept. I saw this on a site of Ms state parks and Lands. ?????? I was trying to find the rules for MD'ing on state owned hunting land.

Do you have that refrence? I would like to read it. I hope I didnt miss anything. I have been out on biloxi beach all weekend and have had no issues. The cops just drive by. I havn't seen any parks and wildlife department officers though. Hmm. Makes me wonder. I am sure i would have been said something too by now, by someone.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
ACrisp, I have never heard of anyone having any problems on the mainland beaches. It is just the Islands that we know for a fact that some(Ship) have been restricted for years. Cat is privately owned now I believe and probably always has been.You can't find any restrictions on DEER, so leter rip, BUT like I suggest,to keep a low profile would be wise . You may have already seen the Site for The Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries, and Parks,,, Public Notice P 10-0002 #17 on the list ,,, it says that to Metal detect you must have written approval of the Executive Director of the Mississippi Department of Wildlife , Fisheries and Parks. ( 39-7-4, Mississippi Code of 1972) According to that you can detect on State Parks etc. but you do have to get written approval. That beats a flat out NO, or a Maybeso, or a whatever. I may see you on the beach sometime this summer because soon as my hunting buddy gets well enough after heart Bypass, that will be the coolest place to go detecting in Mississippi Take care,, Charlie

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of years ago I called the Sheriffs Office and was told it was OK to MD the Beaches. I think I called them because signs on the beaches about rules had a Sheriffs dept. label. I think the mainland beaches belong to the county, not the state.

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always been told it was not permitted on any of the Islands off the Mississippee coast--including Deer, Horn,ship, or Round Island. I have metal detected a bunch of times over the years along the shore in Ocean Springs, Biloxi, and Gulfport--never had any problems with authorities saying anything other than being there past the posted hours when folks are not allowed on the beach each night. And that happened a few months ago when a friend and I were planning on hanging out to pick the guitar and I was not detecting yet, but thought of trying it a little while as my friend picked his guitar-- when an officer told us we'd have to clear out because no one was allowed after a certain time at Ocean Springs beach.

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
It Helps if you do your research and dig into the regulations and maps yourself. There is a lot that you can find out to keep you out of trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread