Metal detecting on private land

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
Hey does anyone ever contact land owners to request to detect on their private land? I have found a couple areas of interest and would like to hunt them. I am from NC and I know how people can be about people asking to scour their land. I have a formatted letter of request that I like to use. What is the best way to approach locals here? Phone call, letter in the mail, or just walk up to their door? Have any of you tried to hunt private land?

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Back in the 60's, you could stop your truck just about anywhere and walk across the farmers land to hunt, fish, etc.
Today, you will look up and see flashing lights and facing trespassing laws, with your name in the local paper's arrest report. Nope, not me, some other poor treasure hunters that did not get permission. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
A

ACrisp1982

Apr 28, 2009
GrayCloud said:
Back in the 60's, you could stop your truck just about anywhere and walk across the farmers land to hunt, fish, etc.
Today, you will look up and see flashing lights and facing trespassing laws, with your name in the local paper's arrest report. Nope, not me, some other poor treasure hunters that did not get permission. :icon_scratch:

Yea that wont be me. I just need to get the guts to ask the land owners.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
ACrisp, old boy, one thing is a fact.

If you don't ask, you won't get permission.

Bite the bullet and ask. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

One other thing, when you ask. Present yourself in the best light possible. Dress neat, be polite, be honest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions