new to the forum

jhnbaker

Greenie
Mar 28, 2007
Booneville Mississippi
I am from Booneville and am new to hunting as well. Even though I haven't bought a detector yet I will in the next several months and am deciding between a Minelab Xterra 50 and a Tesoro Vanquero. I hope to be digging up lots of War of Northern Agression stuff and hopefully the elusive CSA buckle. Would love to hear of any of your finds and potential hot spots for when I get my detector. Good luck in your hunting! ;D

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
Hey Jhnbaker, does that stand for John Baker? I've got some contacts in Booneville (in the line of work that I do). Never been there but you got me on all the cool places to dig. I just got permission (today) to dig at the "Deason Home" here in Ellisville, MS. I can't wait to see what I find. See this link http://www.prairieghosts.com/deason.html. Check out the second paragraph on this link (it got my blood pumping). I'm hoping I can post some cool things, albeit I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks. So far I've found about six modern coins and a few homestead relics, plow pieces, etc. If I'm still this excited even though I haven't really found anything I can't wait until I do find something!

jhnbaker

Greenie
Mar 28, 2007
Booneville Mississippi
That would be me. You are way ahead of me as I said I haven't gotten my detector yet. Which detector do you use? I am interested in WBTS stuff as I am a Commander of a local Sons of Confederate Veterans group in New Albany. ;D

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
I have a Whites 6000 DI Pro SL. It seems to be a pretty good one so far. I was contemplating on purchasing a White's DFX. However, I decided to buy this one instead and use it for a while. I got it used for $300. They still make one similar to it and it runs around $600. Just got back from the Deason house. Find five or six coins, one wheat dated 1917. That is my first old coin I have found so I am not that too far ahead of you. I also found an old pocket knife and what appears to be a melted glob of lead. At first I thought it may have been a gold nugget as it was really heavy and bendable. Few other little trinkets and items not really worth mentioning but it was fun!!

I once camped out with some reenactors in Lucedale. I froze my freekin butt off. These guys were moderates but all I was issued was a think wool blanket and it got down into the 30's. I couldn't sleep the whole night so I just kept the fire going and drank my weight in coffee. That was the most wired I have ever been as coffee really seems to effect me. It was an experience to say the least.

Tupelo_Rebel

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2007
Tupelo, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Hey Keith,

I was just through Ellisville on Friday making my way back from the coast to my home in Tupelo, MS. Good to see some more people from Mississippi on here.

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
Hey Tupelo Rebel, glad to hear from you. I haven't found anyone in my area that hunts, well that is with a detector. I find it much more fun than deer hunting, etc. Anyway today I dug my first silver. See today's finds forum topic, first silver. Maybe we can hunt together sometime. If you come back down this way give me a ring (601)319-2675, Davy Keith.

jrob712

Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
I want to jump in at this time and introduce myself. My name is Jim Robertson and I live in Taylorsville. Am new to this fasinating hobby. Just received my Garrett GPT 1350 and can hardly wait to get started. Would like to meet you guys and perhaps hunt together.

Tupelo_Rebel

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2007
Tupelo, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Welcome aboard, JRob...I travel from North Mississippi to southern Mississippi often. I'm always looking for new hunting buddies when I'm in an area. I'll let you know when I'm going to be back down that way.

benjamin68

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2007
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quicksilver
Hello fellow Mississippians. I too am new to the metal detecting hobby and am looking for local detectorists to get with. I know there is a club in northeast ms but it really is too far for me to travel to regularly.

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
jrob712 said:
I want to jump in at this time and introduce myself. My name is Jim Robertson and I live in Taylorsville. Am new to this fasinating hobby. Just received my Garrett GPT 1350 and can hardly wait to get started. Would like to meet you guys and perhaps hunt together.

Hey J Rob, I'm from Ellisville. Maybe we can hook up for a hunt sometime. Email me when you get a chance. My number is (601)319-2675. See ya.

Coin Shooter

Jan 12, 2008
Flowood Mississippi
Nice to see some people from around here and places I don’t get to go as much as in the past. I grew up in Raleigh and would past through Taylorsville on my way to Ellisville, went to JCJC for a little while. Been in the Jackson area for almost 20 years. If any of you get up this way and want to dig a few coppers drop me a line.

Very cool avatar Keith.

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
Hey CS, that would be fun. I do come to Jxn from time to time and have thought about MD somewhere but never have. Do you have some good places to go?

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
I recently hooked up with some serious treasure hunters in my area. They research and hunt civil war camp and battle sites. Jackson is slammed full of historic places. After seeing their collection and talking with them, I have really been impressed. Many of the guys have been hunting for 20 + years. They have a huge coin and relic collection including a CS belt buckle, spanish silver and very early coins. I want to get more into the research side of hunting because if you can find a place that has never or scarcely hunted you can pull some really cool stuff. How long have you been detecting? I've been doing it for about a year.

Coin Shooter

Jan 12, 2008
Flowood Mississippi
Played with a few cheap detectors off and on for several years then in 2001 I got the Fisher I am still using now. Since then I go when work and weather permit. I have come to hate digging trash so I’ve become almost exclusively a coin hunter, but will occasionally try for a few relics. Some of the CW places I would like to check in Jackson are in very bad parts of town. If you go there when the normal weekday people are not there, the ones that are there are people you don’t want to meet. They are there during business hours too just not as many and not as likely to start trouble.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All, Just wanted to introduce myself. I am from Hattiesburg and been "hunting" for as long as I can remember. Hunt for all kinds of relics - arrowheads, coins, bottles, etc., enjoy it all. Looking for good people in South Miss who are searching for new places to try, share some info and meet up for some group searches.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me. I have a few other people who am talking to about getting together to meet and see what we can put together. I would really like to know how many more MDers there are in the area. I will drop you a line and see if we talk sometime soon. I think if we could get 5-6 people to meet at a coffee shop, mcdonalds, what have you, we could see if there is enough interest to do something. I am also doing some research on Lamar County trying to find some good places to doing some MDing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread