Using Trees to mark treasure locations

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since we don't have many rock faces and outcroppings in south MS, did people used to use trees to locate treasure?
After watching that episode of "Rebel Gold", it kind of reminded me of a tree in my neighborhood.
crooked_tree3.jpg
Here are some treasure marking tree pictures on this site too:
Hidden Treasure - The Hoot Owl Tree ? Treasure hunting with truth and insights; an internet 1st?

I know that most old growth trees were removed when MS was deforested in the early 1900's, so most (if there were any) were lost.

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, your are correct. We have lost most of our old growth in MS. I remember walking in the woods and seeing the high stumps that were made with the cross cut saws that are all but gone now. The markers that are left are corner markers, line trees, rocks, wells, and of course land features. I'm sure a lotof treasures have been lost to old man time and only lady luck can bring them back. For the trained eye or at least a suspicious observer there's still a chance to score. Your odds can be increased with good research and having a good angle of attack. Today that not only goes with an area but also with people. I'm betting our most valuable resource that we are loosing every day, are the old timers that can remember were things were. So tell me, whats your angle of attack.

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a coin hunting book by Charles Garrett. In the book it mentions to look for trees that are in a fence line...where a tree is used as a post. Always a good place to check.

OP
OP
M

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought that book "Understanding Treasure Signs and Symbols" by Charles Garrett.
It is a pocket book, made to be carried in the field.
Obviously many of these signs do not apply in our region because we have no rocks.
It is cool though how they used to communicate.
As for trees:
I have a faint memory of me, my father, and grand father joining hands and we could not go around a pine tree in southern ms near Kiln.
I was real young, so I did not add much, but it was still a big tree.

Last edited:

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going about this all wrong. What happened to the neon signs that said "Treasure Here". Flashing arrow pointing to the X on the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread