Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By longcut
  • 1 Post By Digginrebel
  • 1 Post By Crappies-n-Coins

Thread: New guy in Panola County

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Brian

Nov 2015
    N/W MS
    Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
    815 times
    Coins and Relics

New guy in Panola County

Hey all! New here, but not new to MDing, just to giving it a go in MS. Spent the past few winters down here (fishing), and moved here permanently after my dad passed-away several months ago. Been busy, and just now getting back-around to detecting. Problem is, not much in the way of research available here. Been to both Courthouses (Sardis/Batesville), all over the internet...seems there was a (Courthouse) fire late 1800's early 1900's and records were lost, not sure if that included the old Plat Maps, but there's none to be found (for this area). Been to the Library, got a book on the history of Panola County. Interesting, but not alot of good info for MDing. My preference was fields where houses, churches, and schools were long gone, but looks like it's going to be a bit of a learning curve ahead.

Fishin' been slow, need a motor for my boat.....lol, so MD'ing, I thought, was gonna keep the cabin fever away. Wrong! Been lurking here the past several days, so thought I'd join-up. Been looking around at all the forums, and this one looked best to me. Made a few good friends over the past few years here, but they're old geezers who don't have any interest in MDing, and so far been no help in the area of information. Meh, guess I'll keep 'em around anyway, lol.

Anyway, glad to be here, looking forward to seeing what you guys are finding.

us
    Nov 2013
    NY
    Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
    1465 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Welcome
    Instagram: @surroundedbywild

God Bless

Oct 2015
    Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
    42 times
    Relic Hunting
    Welcome, crappy. (Not sure what to call you based on your screen name lol)

I'm in Madison, but I have family hunting land I frequent up in Tallahatchie Co halfway between Charleston and Grenada. Not too far away.

Panola Co has gained a reputation since last Dec. 6. Stay on everyone's good side!

us
    Metal Detectorist and Adventurer

Jun 2015
    Southern Mississippi!
    Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
    279 times
    Metal Detecting
    Welcome!

us
    Brian

Nov 2015
    N/W MS
    Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
    815 times
    Coins and Relics
    Thanks for the welcomes! (Jamie, sending you a PM for clarification.)

us
    Mar 2008
    South Mississippi
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett AT Maxx
    201 times
    Welcome C&C, try these links for some info. Not too familiar with that area but maybe they will help a little.

Mississippi Genealogy & History Network

Mississippi Rails
    The deeper I dig, the more dirt I find.

us
    Brian

Nov 2015
    N/W MS
    815 times
    Coins and Relics
    Thanks rb! Every bit helps.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    5259 times
    Welcome Aboard!! Happy Hunting!
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

us
    Oct 2012
    Misipy
    X Terra 505 and Vaquero
    328 times
    Metal Detecting
    Crappies ,,,,,,,,,,, if you are doing any Civil War research ............ Batesville in those days was called Panola ............ tons of CW activity along the Tallahatchie on north side of town ....
    Prest Olives likes this.

us
    Brian

Nov 2015
    N/W MS
    815 times
    Coins and Relics
    Thanks for the welcomes and info!

us
    Ray

Jul 2012
    New Orleans burb
    At-Pro, Fisher F2
    130 times
    Welcome
    A few days notice, I'd drive up there for a coffee meet and greet. Perhaps hunt.
    Weekends or week day. Just please after 8am and 50 plus temps.
    Ray

us
    Feb 2016
    TN
    Minelab SE Pro
    22 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiefind View Post
    Welcome, crappy. (Not sure what to call you based on your screen name lol)

I'm in Madison, but I have family hunting land I frequent up in Tallahatchie Co halfway between Charleston and Grenada. Not too far away.

Panola Co has gained a reputation since last Dec. 6. Stay on everyone's good side!
    Yep, great area with some research. I hunted with a doctor buddy of mine many years ago near the lake. Could not get there again if I had to though. Hang near those RR bridges! I am up in the Memphis area. Good luck!
    Prest Olives likes this.

us
    Brian

Nov 2015
    N/W MS
    815 times
    Coins and Relics
    Just an FYI, there was an arrest made in the Jessica Chambers murder. Been at least a week ago, so not new news.
    jamiefind likes this.

May 2019
    Are you still around Panola county ? Just saw this message , just got into MD and have some nice spots to try out

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links