New guy in Panola County

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all! New here, but not new to MDing, just to giving it a go in MS. Spent the past few winters down here (fishing), and moved here permanently after my dad passed-away several months ago. Been busy, and just now getting back-around to detecting. Problem is, not much in the way of research available here. Been to both Courthouses (Sardis/Batesville), all over the internet...seems there was a (Courthouse) fire late 1800's early 1900's and records were lost, not sure if that included the old Plat Maps, but there's none to be found (for this area). Been to the Library, got a book on the history of Panola County. Interesting, but not alot of good info for MDing. My preference was fields where houses, churches, and schools were long gone, but looks like it's going to be a bit of a learning curve ahead.

Fishin' been slow, need a motor for my boat.....lol, so MD'ing, I thought, was gonna keep the cabin fever away. Wrong! Been lurking here the past several days, so thought I'd join-up. Been looking around at all the forums, and this one looked best to me. Made a few good friends over the past few years here, but they're old geezers who don't have any interest in MDing, and so far been no help in the area of information. Meh, guess I'll keep 'em around anyway, lol.

Anyway, glad to be here, looking forward to seeing what you guys are finding.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome, crappy. (Not sure what to call you based on your screen name lol)

I'm in Madison, but I have family hunting land I frequent up in Tallahatchie Co halfway between Charleston and Grenada. Not too far away.

Panola Co has gained a reputation since last Dec. 6. Stay on everyone's good side!

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the welcomes! (Jamie, sending you a PM for clarification.)

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks rb! Every bit helps.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crappies ,,,,,,,,,,, if you are doing any Civil War research ............ Batesville in those days was called Panola ............ tons of CW activity along the Tallahatchie on north side of town ....

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the welcomes and info!

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome
A few days notice, I'd drive up there for a coffee meet and greet. Perhaps hunt.
Weekends or week day. Just please after 8am and 50 plus temps.
Ray

Digginrebel

Feb 23, 2016
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome, crappy. (Not sure what to call you based on your screen name lol)

I'm in Madison, but I have family hunting land I frequent up in Tallahatchie Co halfway between Charleston and Grenada. Not too far away.

Panola Co has gained a reputation since last Dec. 6. Stay on everyone's good side!

Yep, great area with some research. I hunted with a doctor buddy of mine many years ago near the lake. Could not get there again if I had to though. Hang near those RR bridges! I am up in the Memphis area. Good luck!

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an FYI, there was an arrest made in the Jessica Chambers murder. Been at least a week ago, so not new news.

Sambobrad

May 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you still around Panola county ? Just saw this message , just got into MD and have some nice spots to try out

Unclebakon

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I MD and have been for years and am in Desoto County if you are interested. I spend most of my time researching. Interested in going?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread