Gonna be a little more of a challenge than I thought.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7:

Spent 4 hours driving around this morning looking at some spots, 2 wouldn't even be accessible to hunt (too overgrown), and one I flat out couldn't find. So I ran by a couple spots I'd hunted before, looking for "more permission" which I should have got the 1st time I was there. Lots of driving, but no hunting. Oh, I did run up to Coldwater because a buddy had told me how they'd moved the Town, due to flooding. What he failed to mention was it was C.O.E. Property now (which they only allow Beach Detecting by permit only):BangHead:

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where do you guys get a permit?
Wonder if we need one to hunt on the beaches down on the MS gulf coast?
Thanks

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:laughing7:

Spent 4 hours driving around this morning looking at some spots, 2 wouldn't even be accessible to hunt (too overgrown), and one I flat out couldn't find. So I ran by a couple spots I'd hunted before, looking for "more permission" which I should have got the 1st time I was there. Lots of driving, but no hunting. Oh, I did run up to Coldwater because a buddy had told me how they'd moved the Town, due to flooding. What he failed to mention was it was C.O.E. Property now (which they only allow Beach Detecting by permit only):BangHead:
Sometimes permissions are all about who you know, or just being very persistant.
Its kind of like being single at the bar. If you ask enough, surely one will say yes. :laughing9:
Might not be the one youre looking for, but ...........

BTW what is C.O.E Property.?

Where do you guys get a permit?
Wonder if we need one to hunt on the beaches down on the MS gulf coast?
Thanks
No permits needed on the coastal Mississippi Public salt beaches, just be respectful and fill your holes.
Also keep in mind, some coastal beaches in MS are private.
Ive never had much luck on the beaches in MS. Lots of Katrina debris and modern junk, such as beer cans, bottle caps, pull tabs, cigarette packs, foil, etc.
The beach is like plan D or E. Or if you just want some practice with a new machine.

Some Public beaches in FL and AL are off limits, due to local ordinances, and also due to some people probably not filling holes or being respectful.

I have read on this site that some state parks in other states allow hunting if you get a permit.
Normally it is a seasonal permit that will cost money.
I know most state parks in my area are off limits. Ive never tried to get a permit, and I doubt they will offer one.

Last edited:

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
C O E = U S Corp of Engineers ....... they own all the land around our reservoirs in north Ms.....

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I was working in Jackson MS for a while last spring.

I found a couple of spectacular places and got permission to hunt. Never been hunted before. The place just eeks old neat stuff. There are about 15 acres of prime hunting ground with some old ******* buildings still on the property.

Unfortunately it was a lesson learned and I never travel without my detector anymore. I can't wait to get back there. It's some of the best hunting ground I've ever seen.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
C O E = U S Corp of Engineers ....... they own all the land around our reservoirs in north Ms.....
Thanks Longcut.
Do the reservoirs have public beaches for swimming, or are they strictly for potable water?
Just curious, but have you ever gotten a permit, if so what does it cost.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Longcut.
Do the reservoirs have public beaches for swimming, or are they strictly for potable water?
Just curious, but have you ever gotten a permit, if so what does it cost.

LOL, sadly "they" is us (since federal money pays for it), but detecting most of it is prohibited.

Here's the Permit Form for the "Big 4", there's no cost involved. I took mine to the local lake Corp Headquarters, and they signed it right then.

http://www.mvk.usace.army.mil/Porta...Metal Detector Permit Fillable - MS Lakes.pdf

These lakes are for flood control, and yes, public beaches (which are the only places the permits are good for, everyplace else is off-limits).

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What my post was getting at, is it's going to take a different approach on my part. I used to use old (mid/late 1800's) plat maps and do a Google Earth overlay. Then all those fields I'd drive by, I knew where the houses sat (if there even were any), and could locate/approach landowners accordingly. Was a good way to find unhunted sites.

I'll get there. Going to start using the "guilt trip" on some of my friends I do some small "fix-it" jobs for, which I never accept anything for doing. I'm fixing to start reminding them of that :laughing7: and telling them to start asking around about some properties for me to hunt.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well at least they don't charge for the permit to detect on land bought and paid for by, "We the People".
It was interesting reading that form. Sounds like a bunch of bs to me, but it'd be better to have the permit than be caught w/out it.
How long does it last?
So if I read that right, anything to be determined over $25.00 should be turned into the lost and found, whether it can be identified or not.
I hate to be so negative, but id be willing to bet a lot of those items disappear from the lost and found box..

Im not doubting your abilities on finding permissions or good sites, but was merely joking earlier.
Sometimes its a pain in the butt looking for perms, but if you stay persistent something will pan out.

I read and read and read and look at maps all the time, and struggle getting permissions.
My buddy who doesn't read and look at maps gets all the permissions, just because he knows so many damn people. :BangHead:
Luckily for me I get to go with him.

Oh by the way. I enjoyed reading some of your comments in the Tesoro forum last night. I just ordered a Tejon today.

Last edited:

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all this information, it was very helpful!

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When thy signed my "Permit", they dated it to be good for a year. Well, it's the Federal Government, they specialize in red tape. I'm not gonna comment on the over $25 stuff, but I never had to worry about it.

LOL, I've got kind of a twisted sense of humor, and I kid around a lot. I'm sure there are those who don't appreciate it :laughing7: It just got ridiculous on the Tesoro Board with all the whining.

I'd normally be fishing, but it's not even been worth going for quite a while, so MDing is supposed to be taking up the slack time. I'll get some stuff lined-up, just a matter of time. Heck, I'm still learning my way around.

Did you see the Tejon that just sold on the TN Classifieds? I think it was around $350"ish" shipped. Glad it sold, I was considering buying it, not that I need another one. Never swung a Tejon, be interested how you like it.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When thy signed my "Permit", they dated it to be good for a year. Well, it's the Federal Government, they specialize in red tape. I'm not gonna comment on the over $25 stuff, but I never had to worry about it.

LOL, I've got kind of a twisted sense of humor, and I kid around a lot. I'm sure there are those who don't appreciate it :laughing7: It just got ridiculous on the Tesoro Board with all the whining.

I'd normally be fishing, but it's not even been worth going for quite a while, so MDing is supposed to be taking up the slack time. I'll get some stuff lined-up, just a matter of time. Heck, I'm still learning my way around.

Did you see the Tejon that just sold on the TN Classifieds? I think it was around $350"ish" shipped. Glad it sold, I was considering buying it, not that I need another one. Never swung a Tejon, be interested how you like it.

Thanks for the info on the permits. Im not going there, but was just curious how it worked, as ive never needed one.

Yeah. There is a lot of trash talking in the Tesoro section.

I sure did see the tejon in the classifieds section. Good to hear you think that was a good deal. It is supposed to be shipped today.:laughing7: Cant wait.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info on the permits. Im not going there, but was just curious how it worked, as ive never needed one.

Yeah. There is a lot of trash talking in the Tesoro section.

I sure did see the tejon in the classifieds section. Good to hear you think that was a good deal. It is supposed to be shipped today.:laughing7: Cant wait.

LOL, thank-you for saving me the money :laughing7: Would have loved to had it, but sure didn't need it.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I would like to have a CTX 3030 too to play with!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOL, thank-you for saving me the money :laughing7: Would have loved to had it, but sure didn't need it.
Lol, youre welcome. I sold all my other machines. Decided to add something else to my arsenal. Never owned a Tesoro.
Ive heard the Tejon is a deep seeker with great discrim. Was hoping to take it back to some of my old sites and see if I can find something I missed.

Yes, I would like to have a CTX 3030 too to play with!
Id like to try the 3030, but I hear its an arm-breaker, not to mention a bank account breaker too.
A like new Tejon for 365 with 2 coils is more in my price range, and the Tesoros are supposed to be pretty light too.

In the second video he said he did not super tune it. That is done by adjusting the thresh-hold and the discrim, and it is supposed to add a couple more inches.
Anyhow, a lot of relic hunters are using this machine and saying it is very deep.

Last edited:

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That top video concerns me. I wonder if our AT Pros and AT Golds react the same to that situation?
I have never held a CTX 3030, but most people seem to use those shoulder harness rigs (like the guy Lance did in "The Detectorists").

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That top video concerns me. I wonder if our AT Pros and AT Golds react the same to that situation?
I have never held a CTX 3030, but most people seem to use those shoulder harness rigs (like the guy Lance did in "The Detectorists").
Yeah I don't think comparing an Ace 250 to a Tejon was a very fair test, but I thought it was impressive that the Tejon would read that coin underneath a large set of Kleins.
My buddy had an ace with a big coil, and he said it would go deep.
you should try that test with your AT Pro with and w/out discrim, and see what happens and let us know.
Maybe I will try it later with my XP, and re-post.

Ive never used a CTX, but ive read on here that a lot of people say it gets heavy after a couple hours of swinging it.
As for the harness, ive never tried one, but that just seems like a lot of extra stuff that would take time to put on and take off, not to mention getting in the way.
Id love to try or own one, but even if you get a used one its gona cost 1600+.
I used to hunt with a guy who had one. He only kept it for a few months, sold it, and went back to the Fisher F75.
Im not trying to bash the CTX, but I will say that I know a few people that have owned one, and opted out for something lighter.
If I had the money to buy another machine, it would be the F75 or the Teknetics T2. Both are light and supposedly fast, deep, and not very costly.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
bp- Have you looked at any videos on Montes' Nail Board Test?

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bp- Have you looked at any videos on Montes' Nail Board Test?
Yeah, you mean this one.? I love the way that guy talks. "Aahhhhh just wanted to do a quick Tayest".
Pretty impressive video, and that accent is good stuff.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions