Pearl River County

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello from Pearl River County. I am an old treasure hunter and I now live in the county and I would like to help with any research you may need. Most of my experience has been in Louisiana and some in Mississippi. I am 71 and in bad health, as is my wife, so we usually stay at home. If you have a project you want researched PLEASE let me know.

I have been hanging out at the Louisiana site and only found one person to help there. I wrote a book on treasure hunting in Louisiana and thought I could be of assistance to someone there. I am not going to right a book on Mississippi unless I get more research materiel, so help me out.

"More time then money"

Johnny

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Johnny & Thanks for jumping over here in Mississippi & offering your skills...

I'm up here in the Free State of Jones aka Jones County, Mississippi...

I could use some help in learning more about various research techniques & sources...

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry it took so long finding your post, still stuck in Louisiana. As far as research goes hit the books. Go to a library and see what is there. Do you have a specific type of treasure in mind? Indians, outlaws, Civil War, prospecting. I have not researched anything in Mississippi since Katrina, she took everything I had and left me a total wreck. I am 71 years old and in pore health. If you can figure out what kind of treasure hunting you want to do, I might be able to help you.i

If I do not respond within a day or two P.M. me.

Johnny

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry it took so long finding your post, still stuck in Louisiana. As far as research goes hit the books. Go to a library and see what is there. Do you have a specific type of treasure in mind? Indians, outlaws, Civil War, prospecting. I have not researched anything in Mississippi since Katrina, she took everything I had and left me a total wreck. I am 71 years old and in pore health. If you can figure out what kind of treasure hunting you want to do, I might be able to help you.i

If I do not respond within a day or two P.M. me.

Johnny

I really am not seeking any particular treasure, just trying to find locations that would have old interesting stuff on them. That said I'd like to be able to locate saw mill towns/camps, and going further back in time various places groups of people have have camped while traveling along with exact locations of communities that disappeared over the years. Some other interest would be figuring out if there were any areas that the Spanish had ventured into over here in South Mississippi. Locating pre-1900 dump sites & privies would be cool too...

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The De-Soto National Forest was named for a reason. The Spanish were here, but mostly just passing through. De Soto's grave has been found, not sure if that has ever been public. The southern part of the state was part of Florida as was the boot tip of Louisiana, known as the Florida Parishes. The Natchez Trace and the Old Spanish Trail were two of the first roads used in America, many treasures were lost along them. Many outlaws prayed on them. Gold is where you find it, and it has been found in our area. I have a book coming with specific information of the Civil War in Mississippi.

Johnny

P.S. I do have copies of old maps with the names of towns I have never heard of and county lines are not shown and their line may have changed over years. Most of the saw mills were located near waterways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a list of possible locations in Jones: Rushton Pottery Kiln near Laurel. Possible ghost town" Bethel, in the north central part of the county. Curtis, in the south central part of the county. Knight's Mills, in the northwestern corner of the county. Mico. northwestern corner of the county. Pinneville, northeast of Ellisville. Tuscanola, in the southwestern corner of the county.

Johnny

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a list of possible locations in Jones: Rushton Pottery Kiln near Laurel. Possible ghost town" Bethel, in the north central part of the county. Curtis, in the south central part of the county. Knight's Mills, in the northwestern corner of the county. Mico. northwestern corner of the county. Pinneville, northeast of Ellisville. Tuscanola, in the southwestern corner of the county.

Johnny

Thanks,

Some of these I am familiar with and others I have never heard of. Curtis and Tuscanola would be of interest just because neither can be far from my home. I have been looking into Pinnellville and trying to find it's exact location... Over here even if you find a place that has potential as a good hunting spot, most property owners are unwilling to give you permission to hunt it, and I have yet to figure out why so many people are unwilling to let us hunt, but we do have to honor their wishes....

I haven't looked up all of the places that you have mentioned, but I would like to know for these places that ceased to exist over a 100 years ago how you can find exact locations for them as that seems to be one of the more difficult aspects of this. I have found that just because I can locate a site on a pre-1900 map does not mean that I can turn that information into an exact location today.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge....

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of these records, maps etc. can be found at the clerk of courts office. You may want to bring a good camera. I am still looking. I did find this today, you may be interested: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/mississippi/454676-south-mississippi-relic-hunters.html

Johnny

The issue we have here in Jones County revolves around a Court House Fire that took place before 1900, so those records just are not available. Then due to the fact that this is a posted state and most land owners will not give us permission to be on their property, it is difficult to pinpoint a location using the old maps that are available as they are not always 100% geographically accurate.

I agree about the camera and never leave home without one...

I also appreciate you mentioning the South Mississippi Relic Hunters, we actually have a meeting this evening at 7 p.m. and meet on the 3 Thursday of every month. We are a local group that welcomes all people that might have a interest in this hobby. We work together in locating possible hunting sites, doing as much research as possible, getting permissions and attempting to promote this hobby in our area. Here's a link to our Facebook page -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/749848558513154/

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some more old maps coming when they arrive I will try to post them.

Johnny

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some more old maps coming when they arrive I will try to post them.

Johnny

You may already use the following site, but I thought i would share the link just in case, because it is full of good maps, though they are a little difficult to manipulate. I enlarge the areas i want to use for reference ad then use a my sniping software to capture that image as a JPEG that I can then easily manipulate with my photo software.

Historical Maps of Mississippi

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of those, but they do not show much of Jones County. I am waiting on an old map that I hope will show more. Just got the Free State of Jones and will watch it tonight.

Johnny

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the movie last night and it seems like they spent a lot of time in the swamp. The state of Mississippi owns the waterways up to the high water mark and the swamp would be included in that. It would seem like a good place to hunt in the winter.

P.S. One of the books came in today, as soon as I get the chance I will post a picture of one of the ones with Jones in it, just for a reference. By the way, in Waynesboro, there was a second hand store that had stirrups from De Soto's men, they were only for show, not for sale. He stated the name of the woman who they belonged to, nothing more. I know that his cross was found near the Mississippi River and is in a bank vault near there. The story goes, he was placed in a hollowed out log with the cross and stirrups to weight him down. The Indians thought he was a God, and the cross was his power. If the cross was there and he was not the Indians get suspicious. They would only tell the Indians he went to visit his father and would return soon. Are something along those lines.
Don't know if this helps, still looking. Added GPS Locations, hope this helps.
Johnny. jones.jpg GetFileAttachment.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if you checked the county records around you, you might find some overlapping maps, just a thought.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost Towns: Amy, near North county line 2.5 miles North East of Soso. Fuller, near West county line, about 12 miles West of Laurel. Pinnevillville, 8 miles North West of Ellisville. Bargain, in the extreme North East corner of the county, 4 miles east of Sandersville. Docia, on West county line, 11 miles North West of Moselle. Napier, 7 miles North West of Moselle. Crosby, 3 miles East of where Napier was. Blackburn, on Rail Road, 4 miles South West of Ellisville. Fellowship, 5 miles East South East Moselle. Ellisville Junction, on Rail Road, 7 miles East of Ellisville. Croffstown, on Rail Road, 6 miles North North West of Ovett. Earl, on Rail Road. 2.5 miles North North West of Overtt. Nomac, on Rail Road, in South East corner of the county, 4 miles South East of Ovett.

In the early 1800's, the Copeland gang buried several pots of stolen coins and jewelry near one of their hideouts, somewhere along the banks of Big Creek near Laurel. That is about all there is, except to say good luck and have fun.

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wannabe, I checked and as I suspected Jones was not always a county unto its self. Lost my note to self. BRB

OP
OP
45th_Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wannabe, I checked and as I suspected Jones was not always a county unto its self. In 1826, Jones was created out of Covington and Wayne Counties, They may have maps of your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread